ADVERTISEMENT

FINALLY! Mississippi State plays Iowa in football!!!

Jun 21, 2001
Burleson, Texas
I'm a Mississippi State graduate, but my family is from Iowa. I have an Uncle and about 4-5 cousins who graduated Iowa.

I've only been to one Hawkeye game at Kinnick Stadium, but I picked a good one- 1985, Iowa beats Michigan (with whiny Jim Harbaugh at quarterback) 12-10 on the last play of the game. After that, I bought a Number 36 Larry Station jersey (which I still have).

Really looking forward to this game.

Last edited:
Mott, this game is a sign. It’s time to put down the cowbell and dust off the Station jersey. Your family gives you love. All Mississippi State gave you was a loan payment.
Actually, I only had a $1000 loan to pay- and that was from when I went to a small,private college my Freshman year (Millsaps). Worked my way through school, and have been debt-free from college for over 30 years.

Mutt, you were blessed to be at the most famous Iowa game in over 30 years. I also have a #36 Larry Station jersey, which does not fit so well anymore.

I go on an almost annual Civil War trip with an old college friend from the UI. I liked Vicksburg a lot. Also Corinth for access to Shiloh up in Tennessee. I live in a city of great steak restaurants and I would put Russell's Beef House, Corinth, MS, right up there.

Nice, friendly people in Mississippi, even to visiting Yankees. I look forward to a clean, hard-fought game. Two great defenses, probably 21-14 or so.

giphy.gif

From the 1985 Michigan game. The night before, me and my four cousins (one had graduated, two were still in school, and the other later helped paint Carver-Hawkeye Arena). We got roaring drunk. We were singing,

"Hail, to the mother******s
Hail, to the old c***s*****s
Hail! Hail! Michigan
Cesspool of the East"

Later, I was carrying one of my cousins on my shoulders, when I tripped and fell into a dumpster. Gave her a separated shoulder.

The next day, one of my cousin's roomates gave me her student ticket and student ID card. Made sure I went through with a large crowd around, with my thumb over her picture. Got in, and when Houghton hit the FG, I rushed the field with everybody else. I think I'm in the SI pic they took of that somewhere with 10,000 or so of my best friends at the time.

"In heaven, there is no beer...."

Good times.

Last edited:
From the 1985 Michigan game. The night before, me and my four cousins (one had graduated, two were still in school, and the other later helped paint Carver-Hawkeye Arena). We got roaring drunk. We were singing,

Hail! Hail! Michigan
Cesspool of the East"

Later, I was carrying one of my cousins on my shoulders, when I tripped and fell into a dumpster. Gave her a separated shoulder.

The next day, one of my cousin's roomates gave me her student ticket and student ID card. Made sure I went through with a large crowd around, with my thumb over her picture. Got in, and when Houghton hit the FG, I rushed the field with everybody else. I think I'm in the SI pic they took of that somewhere with 10,000 or so of my best friends at the time.

"In heaven, they have no beer...."

Good times.
You, fella, are a good man. Take no offense to the dipshits who will no doubt bash you here. Sounds like an awesome friggin time too!

Edit: to say i mean the minute % of dipshits here who will bash any opposing fanbase.

Reactions: HAWKS4LIFE

Hail! Hail! Michigan
Cesspool of the East"

Good times.
You sound like a guy I'd buy beers for! Welcome. From all I heard, this will be a game no mother could love except those of us who like defensive battles. Our punters will be busy!

Hail! Hail! Michigan
Cesspool of the East"

Good times.
This is frickin awesome. Are you going to tampa?

Hail! Hail! Michigan
Cesspool of the East"

Good times.

Ours flipped the first two lines and ended with 'scumbags of the east'

Some guy offered $200 to sing it at Howl at the moon one night. Passed on that

Hail! Hail! Michigan
Cesspool of the East"

Good times.
Sounds like your cousins were either in the Hawkeye Marching Band, or had friends who were. The HMB has alternate lyrics for all B1G and some non-conference foes - sometimes more than one version.

You're quoting from the second stanza for Michigan. The song begins like this:

Hail to you fornicators
Hail to you masturbaters
Hail, hail to Michigan
The team we like the least.

Reactions: redbirdhawk
I'm a Mississippi State graduate, but my family is from Iowa. I have an Uncle and about 4-5 cousins who graduated Iowa.

I've only been to one Hawkeye game at Kinnick Stadium, but I picked a good one- 1985, Iowa beats Michigan (with whiny Jim Harbaugh at quarterback) 12-10 on the last play of the game. After that, I bought a Number 36 Larry Station jersey (which I still have).

My Dad, a former Hawkeye ROTC, served in the Army 101st Airborne. His best friend from those days was nicknamed "Bubba" (no Gump jokes) from Starkville, and a Mississippi State grad. He was like an uncle to my sister and I. Super nice guy. Brought my sister and I up MSU gear when he would come visit my Dad and my grandparents every summer or so. Used to brag about how the Bulldogs were the first basketball team to play an integrated game, and how Mississippi State was one of the first SEC schools to integrate in a number of areas. He hated Ole Miss. Got the impression that Ole Miss (at least in his mind) was the stodgy, uptight school.

Sadly, when his health and his marriage went south in my teen years, and he couldn't shake some of the army experiences that haunted both he and my Dad, he committed suicide. This will be a bittersweet game for my family. See you, Dogs!

Sounds like your cousins were either in the Hawkeye Marching Band, or had friends who were. The HMB has alternate lyrics for all B1G and some non-conference foes - sometimes more than one version.

You're quoting from the second stanza for Michigan. The song begins like this:

Hail to you fornicators
Hail to you masturbaters
Hail, hail to Michigan
The team we like the least.
Actually, one of my cousins WAS in the Iowa Marching band. That must've been where they got it.

BTW, why didn't Chuck Long ever pan out in the NFL? Drafted by the Detroit Lions?

That 1985 game had gate attendance of 70,000, and 400,000 have great stories and memories about how they were there.
Beat me to it. I was in Iowa City, 1 year old. But I too was there, I took a shit in my pants and my brother, being the brat he was, threw away the toilet paper my parents brought to clean my ass and it ended up being the toilet paper that was seen on tv after the field goal was made.

BTW, why didn't Chuck Long ever pan out in the NFL? Drafted by the Detroit Lions?
This is my hypothesis. Others may have inside knowledge. The Lions weren't very good when Chuck joined them. They had no running game nor much pass protection, and he suffered a season-ending shoulder injury in 1988 (his second year as a starter; he held out as a rookie and barely played in 86). I suspect he never fully recovered from the injury. Perhaps if the Lions had gotten Barry Sanders a year sooner, Chuck wouldn't have taken so much punishment, avoided serious injury, and had a better career.

This is my hypothesis. Others may have inside knowledge. The Lions weren't very good when Chuck joined them. They had no running game nor much pass protection, and he suffered a season-ending shoulder injury in 1988 (his second year as a starter; he held out as a rookie and barely played in 86). I suspect he never fully recovered from the injury. Perhaps if the Lions had gotten Barry Sanders a year sooner, Chuck wouldn't have taken so much punishment, avoided serious injury, and had a better career.

I seem to recall that a new Lions coach, who lasted for two or three years, switched to a then trendy run and shoot offense. That did not work well with Long's skill set and he was eventually traded to the Rams.

Wow, this is the exact scenario I dread with my in-laws. They're all WVU fans. I hope we never play them.

When i read the title of this post, i figured this was going to be some nut stating that iowa has been ducking msu for years. Lol

ADVERTISEMENT