ADVERTISEMENT

New Story First and Ten

Apr 8, 2003
Mike Zierath's weekly piece in case you missed it.

---

I only thought last week was the most apprehensive week of the season! This week was much, much worse! Normally, by game time, I have a pretty good "Game Face" on and a definitive feel for what may or may not happen. I didn't get into that mode until after watching Iowa's first defensive series. After that, even I was ready to don a helmet and help where I could!

First things first, let's talk coaching vacancies, and some that have been filled. Tulane pulled the trigger and fired Coach Curtis Johnson after they went 3-9 this season. Tulane had been to a bowl as recently as two years ago, but have only managed to win six games since that time. There have been a couple vacancies that have been filled over the last couple days. Hawaii reached out to one of its own when they hired Nick Rolovich. Rolovich was the offensive coordinator at Nevada prior to accepting the head coaching position at his Alma Mater.

On Saturday, Illinois officially pulled the interim tag from Bill Cubit and extended him a two year offer. Two years. Hmmm. That might be the shortest head coach contract I've ever seen offered. I guess it's better than the deal that Rick Renteria got with the Cubs.

Virginia Tech got after it and found a replacement for retiring Frank Beamer. Justin Fuente has been tabbed as that guy. And what has been considered a coup by some, he has convinced defensive coordinator Bud Foster to stay, along with associate head coach Shane Beamer, who is Frank's son. Keeping those two will make that transition so much easier for Fuente. Don't know how he pulled it off, but it makes great sense!

One of the craziest things we've heard this week is that LSU is considering going in another direction and getting rid of Les Miles. WHAT? Seriously, what are they thinking? The man is 111-32 in ten seasons with LSU. That, off the top of my head, is better than a .750 winning percentage. Good Luck finding someone to do better than that! Apparently, they figured that out, because late today, they announced that Les Miles would keep his job. I wonder how long it took that Athletic Director to figure that out.

I think what these hires and firings does is leave the college football world with 12 openings around the country. Honestly, I've lost count.

On to Football! Iowa didn't get a ton of help this weekend from anyone but themselves. I think, as Iowa fans, we were also fans of Auburn, S. Carolina, Okie State, Stanford, Michigan, Penn State, FSU and TCU. TCU, FSU and Stanford all did the job we wanted them to do, beating Baylor, Florida and Notre Dame. Unfortunately, Clemson beat S. Carolina, Alabama beat Auburn and Oklahoma destroyed Okie State. Those three will definitely still be in the conversation of top three with the college football playoff committee. If style points truly are important, than Michigan State might have a case for that fourth spot. They dismantled Penn State. Heck, they were dismantling them when I turned the channel and then managed to throw another 21 points on the scoreboard. If style points aren't that important, than Iowa probably did enough by beating Nebraska on the road, who actually beat Michigan State three weeks ago, to retain their position.

Paxton Lynch: Holy Cow! Seven touchdowns in his game against SMU, in the FIRST HALF, on 14 attempts. Derrick Henry toted the rock 46 times for 271 yards in Alabama's win over Auburn. I'm starting to think he might have the upper hand with the Heisman voters.

Iowa. I've said a lot of things about this team this season. Might actually be the first year I haven't had anything bad to say! They play for each other, like all good teams do. They work hard, like all good teams do. They have executed at a high level, like all good teams do. They have, however, slipped the last few weeks. The defense has given up more yards. The offense is getting fewer yards. CJ Beathard, who has been playing at something less than 100%, has been gutting out performances each week, but even his productivity has dropped. Fewer runs, fewer passes, resulting in fewer TD's. He's no Baker Mayfield, Conner Cook or Trevone Boykin from a statistical standpoint. He is, without a doubt, comparable to any signal caller in the country from a leadership perspective. Same can be said for a lot of different players on this team, from Austin Blythe to Nate Meier and Josey Jewell, everyone is leading by example and trying to put their finger in the proverbial dike when necessary. So far, so good.

I have a lot of faith in this group of Hawkeye Football players. They have earned that. They have also earned our respect as fans. No matter what happens next Saturday night, they have provided us with a magical run. One that none of us have ever witnessed. We can only hope they continue to do what they do which is take it one game at a time. I'm sure they are already, even late on a Saturday night, working on the MSU game plan and studying film. Something worth noting………..I'm not apprehensive about anything next week. Seriously. I'm good. I know where this team is from a health standpoint. I know where this team is from an ability standpoint and I know how this team stacks up against their Eastern Division foe in Michigan State. It will be a tough game, no doubt. Michigan State is going to be throwing hay-makers from the opening bell. Iowa will need to absorb some of those, wipe the blood off their lip and decide whether or not they want to throw a few back. I think we've seen enough from this team, this season, to know that they will.

The interesting thing about what we might see out of the CFP Poll on Tuesday is just how strong the Big Ten's hold is on this group. If Iowa does retain the 4th spot, and MSU stays at 5th, where does OSU come in? It definitely could be a Big Ten sweep at 4-6th with some key loses by Notre Dame and Baylor. It's doubtful that a two loss Stanford jumps OSU. We've seen teams recover from early season losses, key mid-season losses and now I think we might even see a team recover from a late season loss as well. I guess it helps to have a little assistance from others and a big name to go with that recovery.

I've seen a lot of scenarios being tossed around since yesterday. It's safe to say that the winner of the Big Ten Championship is in the playoffs. As long as Alabama beats Florida in the SEC Championship, they are in as well. If Clemson can beat North Carolina, they are in as well. At this point, due to what is taking place in the Big Ten, I really think that Oklahoma will be in regardless. The possibilities get pretty crazy if Alabama or Clemson would happen to lose. Maybe, just maybe, there isn't just one single team that is so much better than all the others this year. If there is, I hope to hell it's one of the undefeated teams.

Someone answer me this, because I certainly can't find the answer: Which CFP pairing plays in the Cotton Bowl?

My top four this week look very much the same as the teams from last week. Clemson is #1, followed by, surprise, Oklahoma at #2. Alabama slips a notch to #3 and Iowa remains at #4 by a slim margin. Even if the Hawks fall to 5th, it won't matter.

First two out: MSU and OSU.

I've said this all year: Winning takes the guessing out of the equation. Iowa wins and the equation is simple. They are in.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.