ADVERTISEMENT

New Story First and Ten

Apr 8, 2003
Mike Zierath's column.

---

Who would have thought we'd be approaching the end of what may be considered the best football season in Iowa History? But here we are, thinking exactly that very thing, at the beginning of the most exciting week in College Football.

It's big boy bowl week! Say that fast three times! There are some very exciting games on tap, including the New Year's six games, which follows the New Year's Eve Playoff Semi Finals. Heck, there have already been some really good, and surprising bowl games.

Look at Appalachian State and Georgia Southern. Both those former FCS teams won their first ever bowl games. Appalachian State in dramatic fashion over a quality MAC opponent in Ohio. Georgia Southern in a dominating performance over Bowling Green, who won the MAC.

Since I mentioned the MAC, who would have thought Toledo would have beaten Temple or Akron would beat Utah State?

The three 5-7 teams that got bowl invites, Nebraska, Minnesota and San Jose State, are 3-0.

Virginia Tech sent Frank Beamer out in grand fashion in one of the highest scoring bowl games I can recall.

The individual performances to date have been pretty special too! Brandon Doughty from Western Kentucky throwing for 461 yards and 3 touchdowns. Devin Redding of Indiana rushing for 227 and a score. Isaiah Ford from Virginia Tech with 12 catches for 227 yards of his own. Georgia Southern rushing for 452 yards. But maybe the best performance came from a 5'11", 205lb future Naval Officer from Navy named Keenan Reynolds who accounted for 317 total yards and 4 touchdowns.

And the "good" games haven't even kicked off yet!

So let's talk about what's coming up a little.

Probably the most interesting games involving name teams over the next few days would include the Russell Athletic Bowl where North Carolina and Baylor will square up. Since I'm sitting in a hotel room in Waco, Tx right now, I can guarantee you I've heard enough about Baylor today, and I'm sure tomorrow as well. Personally, I think N. Carolina takes them to the woodshed, but wouldn't be surprised to see a V. Tech vs. Tulsa type score.

The next one that jumps out at me is Wisconsin vs. USC. How good is USC? How bad do they want this win for their new head coach? Will they be engaged? The Holiday Bowl got themselves a good pairing for this one. In the end, I think the Badgers can wear the Trojans out. Should be a good one.

My upset of the week: Houston will beat Florida State. I really don't think Florida State cares to be playing in the Chick-Fil-A Peach Bowl. They are a little more accustomed to playing for something bigger. That plays right into the hands of Tom Hermann's Cougars. Look out Seminoles…….I don't think you are going to know what hit you!

New Year's Eve brings us to the College Football Playoffs. Some solid matchups. Long story short, these games could go either way. I like Clemson over Oklahoma and Alabama to beat MSU. Wait. No, changed my mind. I think the Sooners can beat the #1 team in the land and the Big Ten once again gets to the CFP Finals. Wait, oh hell, I don't know. I guess if I have to pick two, it would probably be Clemson and Alabama, but, nothing would surprise me with the two games. Nothing.

That takes us to the New Year's six:

I like Tennessee over Northwestern in the Outback bowl. I like Michigan over Florida in the BWW Citrus Bowl. I don't think OSU will be as engaged as they should be and Notre Dame beats them. I like Okie State in the Sugar Bowl. That leaves just one game. The Grand Daddy of them all. The biggest bowl game in the land. The Rose Bowl.

Something is about to happen to Southern California that they haven't seen for some time. They were worried about a Japanese invasion in the early 1940's. They need to worry about the invasion of Black and Gold! Not your regular Black and Gold invasion, this one is much different. It's focused. It's hungry. It wants a win! And this Black and Gold invasion comes with the realization, at least for this writer, of the enormity of the stage and venue we will be invading! Many of us, hell, all of us, have waited 25 years for this happening to happen! Tickets were hard to come by. Flights even more difficult for many. But Iowans found a way and the treks have begun. From my Zoot Suiting friend Glen Snyder, to the one fan I've seen at nearly every away game I've ever attended, Tom "Billy Bob" Voigtman, to my tailgating friends Mike and Peggy Decker, to my good friends in Kinnick, Gene and Jana Nassif….they are all on the way. As am I. Right after I finish writing this article, and finishing up some work in Waco on Tuesday, I'll be headed back to Flower Mound, Tx to get on a plane early Wednesday morning where my beautiful bride will pick me up and the fun begins!

Oh, and as for the game: They'll play the Grand Daddy of them all, on New Year's Day, just like they always do. And the Hawks will win, just like they always have in my dreams. And in 1957 and 1959. And Kirk Ferentz will do the one thing that Hayden Fry, who probably wanted it more than anyone, could never seem to get done, with a group of kids who are still playing for each other, till the game is won!

Go Hawks!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News