ADVERTISEMENT

First Home game after Chris Street’s death.

HerkysDad

HR MVP
Feb 15, 2014
Watched the replay of the ‘93 Michigan at Iowa BB game on BTN. I remember watching that game when originally broadcast, as it was the first home game after losing Chris Street. His parents were at the game.

The announcers were in love with Kenyon Murray and gave out loads of platitudes. Val Barnes was, of course, outstanding and Acie Earl was Acie! Didn’t seem to have the long range bombers we have today, but they sure could move the ball and also play defense.

Michigan had Jalen Rose, Chris Webber and current coach Juwon Howard.
N
Great game to watch.

Last edited:
Watched the replay of the ‘93 Michigan at Iowa BB game on BTN. I remember watching that game when originally broadcast, as it was the first home game after losing Chris Street. His parents were at the game.

The announcers were in love with Kenyon Murray and gave out loads of platitudes. Val Barnes was, of course, outstanding and Acie Earl was Acie! Didn’t seem to have the long range bombers we have today, but they sure could move the ball and also play defense.

Michigan had Jalen Rose, Chris Webber and current coach Jawon Howard.

Great game to watch.
Carver was rocking.

Great game to watch.
I was there. It was 15500 extremely loud and emotional people losing our minds the whole game. I don't know that Carver can ever be louder. Barnes and Earl did the heavy scoring lifting, Kenyon was a force on D (reminds me of 15) and Kevin Smith and Jim Bartles were vital. Russ Millard played his 1st home game of his career and looked very solid. 88-80. Mike Street walked off the court with the game ball. Magical day for a noon start on what was Super Bowl Sunday.

Watched it on TV. You could sense the crowd being into it even before HD and the great audio we have today. Crowd was nuts. That Michigan team was awesome, and Hawks just would not lose.
Watched it last night, and really enjoyed watching Kenyon's play as a freshman. He had some serious hops and reminds me so much of what we're seeing from Keegan. :)

Most fortitude-packed Hawkeye basketball game I've ever watched, for obvious reasons.

The 21-pt deficit comeback vs Tennessee in 2019 would rank up there alongside it, had we pulled out the W.

Most fortitude-packed Hawkeye basketball game I've ever watched, for obvious reasons.

The 21-pt deficit comeback vs Tennessee in 2019 would rank up there alongside it, had we pulled out the W.
I believe the start of that comeback against Tennessee is when the culture of the program changed to a tough, winning culture.

Reactions: chodehawk

Great game to watch.
I remember that game well. I was also at the game where Bo Kimble and Co dismantled Michigan in the tourney after Hank passed. Those are the moments where you just know there is a higher power and the Big Guy upstairs helps make it happen. Inspirational stuff.

I've seen the replay a few times and have a DVD copy. What.a.game!

The thing that stands out to me (other than the pure emotion of it all) was how "chaotic" the game seemed. Hawks simply flying around - fighting for loose balls, rebounds, etc. Michigan must have felt like they were under attack by a thousand angry hornets.

As a result, the game was not pretty .................... it was BEAUTIFUL!

The MSU game was nuts. Down by, what, 15 with 3 minutes? Val Barnes and Acie were sensational. One of the greatest games in Iowa history.

I've often wondered why the MSU game was over- shadowed by the Michigan win even as great as it was. The guts it took for the Hawks to fight back on the road like they did for Chris so soon after his funeral always inspired me.

ADVERTISEMENT