ADVERTISEMENT

First time trying 5 Guys

The only thing I don't like about 5 Guys is the cost. I still haven't tried the new one in Davenport/Bettendorf. If we are on the road after a kids' game we will stop at one sometimes. We've always found them to be very good burgers.
Again, though, you need to think of it on a cost-per-calorie standpoint.

There are 980 calories in a basic 5 Guys cheeseburger. Let's just round up to 1,200 once you add condiments, veggies, etc.

A regular fries is an additional 953 calories. Probably gonna eat those with mayonaise or ketchup, so let's make it an even 1,000 calories.

So for around $20 you are getting about 2,200 calories.

According to USDA guidelines a "moderately active" adult male aged 40-45 should consume no more than 2500 calories a day to maintain a normal weight.

Therefore, you are getting a full day's worth of calories for $20. So by eating one big 5 Guys meal instead of 3, you are in essence getting 3 meals worth of food for $20, or $6.66 per meal.

So, no, 5 Guys is not "too expensive" unless you are a fat pig who will supplement it with additional meals on the day you eat it. :)

Again, though, you need to think of it on a cost-per-calorie standpoint.

There are 980 calories in a basic 5 Guys cheeseburger. Let's just round up to 1,200 once you add condiments, veggies, etc.

A regular fries is an additional 953 calories. Probably gonna eat those with mayonaise or ketchup, so let's make it an even 1,000 calories.

So for around $20 you are getting about 2,200 calories.

According to USDA guidelines a "moderately active" adult male aged 40-45 should consume no more than 2500 calories a day to maintain a normal weight.

Therefore, you are getting a full day's worth of calories for $20. So by eating one big 5 Guys meal instead of 3, you are in essence getting 3 meals worth of food for $20, or $6.66 per meal.

So, no, 5 Guys is not "too expensive" unless you are a fat pig who will supplement it with additional meals on the day you eat it. :)
See, another torbee post to put things in perspective, and with a proper summary at the end.

Reactions: torbee
Five Guys has the same problem as In-N-Out. Good burgers, horrendous fries. Both are essentially overrated because of that flaw.

I'd choose Culver's over both of them and save money in the end as well.
Bang for your buck, Culvers is probably the best fast food burger joint in America.

My wife talks about having 5 Guys all the time in college and how much she loved it. In fact she described it as extremely orgasmic. I finally decided to try it. I thought everything was pretty good, but definetly not worth the $20. Sticking my hand in a greasy sack full of fries to get to my burger was off putting.
Did you blow your mayo all over your wife's chest after your orgasmic experience?

Fiancee only eats chicken or korean steakhouse beef. We go to Five Guys and she gets the grilled cheese, and we share a large fry. Good eating.

My wife talks about having 5 Guys all the time in college and how much she loved it. In fact she described it as extremely orgasmic. I finally decided to try it. I thought everything was pretty good, but definetly not worth the $20. Sticking my hand in a greasy sack full of fries to get to my burger was off putting.
Maybe you should start with Two guys and work your way up.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Well if you fat asses weren’t getting the double patty and large fries it wouldn’t be 20 bucks. Little cheeseburger and little Cajun fries are about 12 bucks plus a cup of water. Have you been to a lot of places where you can eat cheaper than 12 bucks? And I don’t count McDonalds or Burger King or that shit.
That was the price 5 years ago I think. I got a single and small fries and small drink in Ames last December and it was like $20.

Bang for your buck, Culvers is probably the best fast food burger joint in America.

Freddy’s has grown on me over the last couple months. There’s one across the street from a client. Good smash burger, shoestring fries, combo under $10.

Edit to add: I was the last poster to bag on Five guys I think. Has nothing to do with bang for the buck (although it is expensive comparatively), has everything to do with taste. Their burger and fries are absolutely nothing special IMHO. If I’m wanting a slightly above fast food quality burger in the class of Five Guys, I’m hitting Portillo’s. But then I’ll probably get there and change my mind and order the Italian beef - nullifying the entire experiment.

Freddy’s has grown on me over the last couple months. There’s one across the street from a client. Good smash burger, shoestring fries, combo under $10.

Edit to add: I was the last poster to bag on Five guys I think. Has nothing to do with bang for the buck (although it is expensive comparatively), has everything to do with taste. Their burger and fries are absolutely nothing special IMHO. If I’m wanting a slightly above fast food quality burger in the class of Five Guys, I’m hitting Portillo’s. But then I’ll probably get there and change my mind and order the Italian beef - nullifying the entire experiment.
Portillos burgers are far superior to their Italian Beef.

Their Italian beef is very average. Not bad, just meh.

Reactions: kkhawk
In-n-out is the single most overrated fast food burger joint. Five guys is decent, and Freddie’s is pretty decent too.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Whose Italian beefs are better? I'm with Steve Stone...Portillos is my favorite.
There’s a couple local places here — Benny’s Gyros in East Moline being one - with better Italian beef.

Franks also makes an amazing Italian beef:

images

I've eaten 5 Guys a couple of times.

Honestly, a Burger King Whopper tastes much better. And that's not a knock, the Whopper is a good tasting burger.

Fresh cut fries are and should be outstanding. Their fries suck. They need to be soaked in water to remove starch and fried twice. I don’t understand why they go through the trouble of cutting them fresh only to screw up the rest of it.

Television-Journalist-Says-Thank-You-Gif-Image.gif

5 guys.

Overrated clap clap clap clap clap

Its decent. Not terrible, not great. I don't like the bag of fries, either. I wish they had a smaller serving for a more reasonable price.

P.S. I see all this "overrated" stuff... I thought you could only be overrated if people actually rated you highly? Does anyone (that matters or in large numbers) rate them highly?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT