ADVERTISEMENT

First trip to CHA reflections

old_spartan

Scout Team
Jul 24, 2014
I am a fan of wrestling. No clear cut team allegiance. But I have a great deal of admiration for Iowa. Last night may have moved my allegiance to one team.

First off, the crowd did not disappoint, although the older lady behind me was a little obnoxious. I can handle obnoxious, but at least know what you are yelling about. Some of it may have been eye sight issues.

Low point was the fan chuckling the beer from way up high. I’m a school administrator. 17 years worth. I know one fan doesn’t represent a fan base. Just a poor decision. Maybe metal beer cans should be given a second thought.

The dual lived up to the hype. Driving in I really thought PSU might run away with the dual. Down 10-0 I was even more concerned, but I knew Iowa was favored in the upcoming matches.

Lots of admiration for Marinelli. Great match. Brought the crowd back in for the second half. I really wanted Kem to win that match. Haven’t had a chance to watch it on tv. Props to Cassiopi. He wrestled well.

Earlier today a comment was made about the old guns looking ‘old’. We all know the season is a grind. From the school perspective, Covid is a drain on everyone mentally. I think it’s impacting everyone and sometimes we don’t even realize it.

I stayed at the hotel where the HAWK after party was held. I stood in the back and listened in. Props to Brands for coming straight to the party after a tough loss. I know he knows the fans expect it. Still says a lot that he does it. He took a picture with me before he left. He treated me with the utmost respect despite the fact he had never seen me before.

Breakfast today at the Bluebird Diner was pretty good. I believe Marinelli mentioned that restaurant in a documentary. Wanted to try it.

The board can be a little hard on the athletes at times and since I’m a newby I won’t say anything more. You guys are blessed to have the program you do.

Next time I’ll get to Iowa City earlier so I can make a day of it. The fans I interacted with were great.

Until next time, Go Hawks!

Edit: Failed to mention this, I know Brands wanted a different outcome obviously. Cael has to be concerned to. I know PSU had to be thinking they win at heavyweight after last week’s performance.

Add in Ayala and I think the Big Ten and Nationals race is still up for grabs. An injury or an upset at the tourney could easily be the game changer.

My personal take is it’s anybody’s title to claim.

Last edited:
4857962.gif

Come back any time. If we could have won any of the first 3 matches the fans would have blown the roof off the building.

As it was we struggled to build momentum until the bull match (which darn well could have been a stalling DQ) but couldn't get an upset win when we needed one.

The beer can was Bush league and hope someone spent the night in jail. He could have severely injured someone.

Glad you enjoyed your first trip, CHA for wrestling is an unbelievable experience.

If we could have won any of the first 3 matches the fans would have blown the roof off the building.
This. Would have been fun just for the experience itself (ignoring the ramifications on the dual). Same with 74, because Kem is so loved.

imagine that match coming down to heavyweight and Cass doing what he did... People in CHA would just now be getting their hearing back

This. Would have been fun just for the experience itself (ignoring the ramifications on the dual). Same with 74, because Kem is so loved.

imagine that match coming down to heavyweight and Cass doing what he did... People in CHA would just now be getting their hearing back
Correct. I stood in the restroom line at half time and ended up talking with a PSU fan who commented that he was impressed by the noise of the crowd. I told him that while it was nice to have a full house in attendance, the crowd noise was maybe a 5 on a 10 point scale compared to other big meets. He looked a little shocked.

I am a fan of wrestling. No clear cut team allegiance. But I have a great deal of admiration for Iowa. Last night may have moved my allegiance to one team.

First off, the crowd did not disappoint, although the older lady behind me was a little obnoxious. I can handle obnoxious, but at least know what you are yelling about. Some of it may have been eye sight issues.

Low point was the fan chuckling the beer from way up high. I’m a school administrator. 17 years worth. I know one fan doesn’t represent a fan base. Just a poor decision. Maybe metal beer cans should be given a second thought.

The dual lived up to the hype. Driving in I really thought PSU might run away with the dual. Down 10-0 I was even more concerned, but I knew Iowa was favored in the upcoming matches.

Lots of admiration for Marinelli. Great match. Brought the crowd back in for the second half. I really wanted Kem to win that match. Haven’t had a chance to watch it on tv. Props to Cassiopi. He wrestled well.

Earlier today a comment was made about the old guns looking ‘old’. We all know the season is a grind. From the school perspective, Covid is a drain on everyone mentally. I think it’s impacting everyone and sometimes we don’t even realize it.

I stayed at the hotel where the HAWK after party was held. I stood in the back and listened in. Props to Brands for coming straight to the party after a tough loss. I know he knows the fans expect it. Still says a lot that he does it. He took a picture with me before he left. He treated me with the utmost respect despite the fact he had never seen me before.

Breakfast today at the Bluebird Diner was pretty good. I believe Marinelli mentioned that restaurant in a documentary. Wanted to try it.

The board can be a little hard on the athletes at times and since I’m a newby I won’t say anything more. You guys are blessed to have the program you do.

Next time I’ll get to Iowa City earlier so I can make a day of it. The fans I interacted with were great.

Until next time, Go Hawks!

Edit: Failed to mention this, I know Brands wanted a different outcome obviously. Cael has to be concerned to. I know PSU had to be thinking they win at heavyweight after last week’s performance.

Add in Ayala and I think the Big Ten and Nationals race is still up for grabs. An injury or an upset at the tourney could easily be the game changer.

My personal take is it’s anybody’s title to claim.

Quick question... is there a one-armed waitress at the Bluebird Diner?

Reactions: honkey69

Huh...

Reactions: el dub
Messed up the quote on my phone but wanted to point out that the above statement is beautiful. Plenty of room in the family. We have fans from all over the country. Heck — I hosted some diehard Iowa wrestling fans from PA and met a bunch more at the Plunge. None of them had any direct connection to the U of I or Iowa apart from admiring Iowa wrestling. So you’ll be in good company. You’re always welcome and will always be among friends.

ADVERTISEMENT