ADVERTISEMENT

First World Problems...

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
The ending of the Peach Bowl, with Ohio State missing a field goal against Georgia with a trip to the College Football Playoff national championship game on the line, coincided perfectly with the clock striking midnight on New Year’s Eve. Not surprisingly, many television viewers were watching the missed kick instead of the ball dropping in Times Square.

This scheduling, the second straight year and fourth overall when the CFP semifinals were played on New Year’s Eve, received some backlash on social media. Many observers were expecting the second semifinal to be over by the time the clock turned to 2023, so when it dragged on, those viewers were unhappy.

The original reasoning for the scheduling was to avoid interfering with the Rose Bowl when that game wasn’t part of the semifinals. After back-to-back semifinals on New Year’s Eve in 2015 and ’16, the CFP management committee said it wasn’t going to schedule games on New Year’s Eve if it fell on a weekend.

However, the past two sets of semifinals in 2021 and ’22 were scheduled on New Year’s Eve because it fell on Friday and Saturday, respectively. Next year, when the Rose Bowl will again host a semifinal, the CFP games will be played on New Year’s Day again.

Starting the games earlier would be a good idea. It would also help if the games didn’t last 4 hours.

I’m old enough to remember when football games lasted 3 hours. Then tv timeouts got longer and longer and 3 1/2 hours became the norm. Now with all the emphasis on up-tempo offenses and 90-point shootouts it’s not uncommon for games to approach 4 hours.

Also Trad, consider how unimportant America considers the minor league playoff, for the 4 highest scores in the popularity contest, that it was afraid to go up against regular season NFL games

You gave enough shits to come and post. Me thinks you care at least some.
I was deceived by Trad’s thread title. I thought it was a compelling point about the manner of his Manor.

People still make a big deal about nye?
I would think more people are asleep before midnight to those that stay up.

I’ve stayed up years ago but wasn’t actually paying attention to the time. It was 12:40am and I look at my wife and said “happy new year” we all laughed and moved on.

The ending of the Peach Bowl, with Ohio State missing a field goal against Georgia with a trip to the College Football Playoff national championship game on the line, coincided perfectly with the clock striking midnight on New Year’s Eve. Not surprisingly, many television viewers were watching the missed kick instead of the ball dropping in Times Square.

This scheduling, the second straight year and fourth overall when the CFP semifinals were played on New Year’s Eve, received some backlash on social media. Many observers were expecting the second semifinal to be over by the time the clock turned to 2023, so when it dragged on, those viewers were unhappy.

The original reasoning for the scheduling was to avoid interfering with the Rose Bowl when that game wasn’t part of the semifinals. After back-to-back semifinals on New Year’s Eve in 2015 and ’16, the CFP management committee said it wasn’t going to schedule games on New Year’s Eve if it fell on a weekend.

However, the past two sets of semifinals in 2021 and ’22 were scheduled on New Year’s Eve because it fell on Friday and Saturday, respectively. Next year, when the Rose Bowl will again host a semifinal, the CFP games will be played on New Year’s Day again.

I missed the kick because they apparently called a 30 second time out instead of a full time out

Maybe in my younger days having to choose between partying or watching football would have been a dilemma, but now my biggest problem is staying awake for the second half of night games which don't involve the Hawks!

Reactions: CarolinaHawkeye
7652g3.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT