ADVERTISEMENT

Five poll numbers that should make Democrats uneasy

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
(CNN)There's plenty of good news for Democrats and bad news for Donald Trump in an avalanche of new polling released this week.

The President's approval rating has fallen 6 percentage points to the lowest at the six-month mark of any president since the dawn of modern public opinion polling, according to this week's ABC News/Washington Post poll.

And Democrats lead Republicans when Americans are asked who they would vote for on a generic congressional ballot for 2018.

But it's certainly not all positive news for the party opposing the White House. While history points to likely Democratic victories in the upcoming midterm elections, the numbers show a few Achilles' heels that threaten the opportunity.

Here are five poll numbers from this week that should make Democrats a little uneasy about their current situation.

1. Trump is (barely) above water on the economy. A plurality of Americans -- 43% -- approve of Trump's handling of the economy, according to an ABC News/Washington Post poll published Sunday. A close 41% disapprove. Meanwhile, the US economy continues to improve, with 222,000 new jobs in June, and the unemployment rate is hovering near full employment at 4.4 percent.

2. A majority thinks Democrats don't stand for anything other than being against Trump. Only 37% of Americans say the Democratic Party "stands for something," while 52% say it just stands against Trump, according to the same ABC News/Washington Post poll. It comes at a time when Democrats are left without a clear figurehead and many, both inside and outside of the party, have criticized its leaders for lack of a clear message.

3. Midterm numbers show a potential soft spot for Democrats. There's a lot of time left before the 2018 midterms roll around, but poll questions used to estimate voter turnout aren't a slam dunk for Democrats at this point. The difference between people who say they are casting their midterm ballot to oppose Trump and people casting their midterm ballot to support Trump is 4 points -- compared to 10 points opposing former President Barack Obama in 2014 and 14 points opposing former President George W. Bush in 2006, according to the ABC/Post poll. And voter enthusiasm is virtually identical for both pro-Trump and anti-Trump forces.

4. Democrat favorables haven't budged since the 2016 conventions
. Americans' perceptions of the Democratic Party have remained virtually the same for the last 12 months -- underwater. Forty-eight percent of Americans have a negative view of the Democrats right now, according to a Bloomberg News poll released Tuesday. That's compared to 49% in December and 47% last August. And while that's not as bad as their Republican counterparts, it's far from a positive sign for the party that lost the 2016 presidential race.

5. Trump supporters aren't going anywhere
. It appears Trump supporters are just as on board as they were during the campaign. His support among Republicans matches the third-highest approval among a president's own party during a new president's first six months in more than 60 years, according to Gallup. Plus, 75%of people living in counties that fuel Trump's base approve of his bargaining with Carrier and General Motors to keep jobs in the US, according to a NBC/WSJ poll from Tuesday. What do a majority Trump supporters dislike? His use of Twitter.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/22/politics/five-poll-numbers-democrats-uneasy/index.html

2. A majority thinks Democrats don't stand for anything other than being against Trump. Only 37% of Americans say the Democratic Party "stands for something," while 52% say it just stands against Trump, according to the same ABC News/Washington Post poll. It comes at a time when Democrats are left without a clear figurehead and many, both inside and outside of the party, have criticized its leaders for lack of a clear message.

This is absolutely true. The dems are worse than the U of I sports marketing department.

And there is the makeup of the 34 Senate seats that are up for a vote in 16 months.

25 are currently held by Democrats and 9 of those are in states that voted for Trump.

Democrats could actually lose seats in the Senate!

Reactions: ottumwan in tx
The delusional Democrats have exhibited unusual
hostility towards President Trump. This is all they
have done since he was elected. The Democrats
do not have a leader that the party can unite with.
The trio of Hillary, Barack, and Bernie has become
Larry, Curly, and Moe.

This is absolutely true. The dems are worse than the U of I sports marketing department.

Does anyone know what republican numbers were in 2009? They were pretty loudly anti-Obama at that point. I'd be curious to see that comparison.

Larry, Curly, and Moe.

Based on what we've seen from other party "leaders", it could be worse.

1) Trump has done nothing to change the economic path of this country from where Obama left it. Taxes remain the same and aside from removing us from treaties that haven't taken effect yet he has made no action here. There really isn't any reason to be upset with him yet, unless you are a republican waiting for your tax cut.

2) This is absolutely true and the Democrats need to do better here. I mean, the marketing doesn't even have to be true or possible. Republicans ran on repealing Obamacare for 7 years and it worked great for them.

3) Numbers are really too early to tell anything right now. Democrats do have a serious disadvantage in the Senate though.

4) I'm not sure favorables ever get above 50% and 48 isn't too bad when only about 40% of the country will actually identify as a Democrat. Still, it's not something to ignore either.

5) Sadly, this is also true. They have a very dystopic vision for what America should look like and this reason alone is why Democrats need to show up for every election, no matter how much in the bag they think they have it.

1) Trump has done nothing to change the economic path of this country from where Obama left it. Taxes remain the same and aside from removing us from treaties that haven't taken effect yet he has made no action here. There really isn't any reason to be upset with him yet, unless you are a republican waiting for your tax cut.

2) This is absolutely true and the Democrats need to do better here. I mean, the marketing doesn't even have to be true or possible. Republicans ran on repealing Obamacare for 7 years and it worked great for them.

3) Numbers are really too early to tell anything right now. Democrats do have a serious disadvantage in the Senate though.

4) I'm not sure favorables ever get above 50% and 48 isn't too bad when only about 40% of the country will actually identify as a Democrat. Still, it's not something to ignore either.

5) Sadly, this is also true. They have a very dystopic vision for what America should look like and this reason alone is why Democrats need to show up for every election, no matter how much in the bag they think they have it.

Wow.
Classic tard.

While Trump may not have officially implemented any major changes, the economy runs on speculation and doesn't like uncertainty. Trump has been a pro-business, pro-American voice. He has provided the decision makers with a message that they can move forward with and are optimistic in the short term.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
While Trump may not have officially implemented any major changes, the economy runs on speculation and doesn't like uncertainty. Trump has been a pro-business, pro-American voice. He has provided the decision makers with a message that they can move forward with and are optimistic in the short term.

That's not a policy and if businesses aren't worried about his ability to carry out anything he claims he wants to do then they are fools.

Wow. Classic Trumpkin response. All insults, no analysis. Care to comment on what you disagree with or would that take too many words?

That is bc they admit they are deplorable but wont admit to being uneducated. Typical Trump idiot follower...

I've said this before, but the Dems should be coming up with a message and a plan. Trump has given them enough ammo to clean up in the mid-terms, but they are too busy wringing their hands over this Russia thing to do anything productive.

I think it was pretty clear last election that poll numbers and any perceived "slam dunk" wins are not a sure thing.

I've said this before, but the Dems should be coming up with a message and a plan. Trump has given them enough ammo to clean up in the mid-terms, but they are too busy wringing their hands over this Russia thing to do anything productive.

I think it was pretty clear last election that poll numbers and any perceived "slam dunk" wins are not a sure thing.

They are showing signs of figuring this out, but they've got a lot of work to do.

As a business owner myself...even though there is little in the way of actual policy change at this point, it is a relief to have an understanding that with Trump in charge, v. Hillary or Obama, there is not likely to be some game changing "gotcha" executive order/bill coming out that would significantly impact the business climate. Some may dismiss this, but I agree with the sentiment that things seems more certain in the business climate and that is a positive.

I agree with whatsup here, FWIW.

Reactions: whatsup13579er
Larry, Curly, and Moe.

So the Dems are following what the bigot Alt-Rights did to President Obama for 8 years?

As a business owner myself...even though there is little in the way of actual policy change at this point, it is a relief to have an understanding that with Trump in charge, v. Hillary or Obama, there is not likely to be some game changing "gotcha" executive order/bill coming out that would significantly impact the business climate. Some may dismiss this, but I agree with the sentiment that things seems more certain in the business climate and that is a positive.

I agree with whatsup here, FWIW.
This is exactly what I was getting at. Trump doesn't have to do anything 'official' to possibly have a major impact on the economy.

#2 they always say that about the minority party. That's because the way our government is structured the minority party can't take it's ideas and put them on the floor of the house or senate.

The majority leader of each house effectively has say on what gets on the floor and what gets voted on. So nothing coming from the minority party is going anywhere.

To me I say the fact is that the Republicans have no policies other then opposing Obama. See the Dems had policies when they could actually pass laws.

But now the R's are in charge and all they have done is essentially repeal a bunch of stuff Obama did and when asked to come up with their own ideas they have consistently failed to come up with a replacement for his healthcare plan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT