ADVERTISEMENT

New Story Five-star OT Kadyn Proctor down to two

Facts as I see them: Proctor will be a one-year player. He would be drafted in the first round this year without question. I would guess he has been offered a fortune in NIL money by many schools. He has narrowed his choices down to two schools and the differences between are close to night and day.

Alabama: He will be surrounded by the highest rated players in the nation and coached by the elite. They have the finest facilities available and probably the most rabid fan-base in the country. His NIL opportunities will be tremendous. The odds that he will play in the NC are great if he decides to risk injury. He would not get the individual adulation and attention he may desire.

Iowa: He will have a very close friend he can room with. He is close to home and family. Every public move he makes will make headlines. He will be well-coached; however, the team will probably not even win the BIG West. He will have the opportunity to go to a mediocre bowl if he so chooses. There will be a good amount of NIL money available. His draft position will not be affected.

These are tough choices, and I could not blame him for making either.
Facts aren't things you make up...

Don't know the family but he plays for an affluent HS. For some reason I think I heard SEP is the fastest growing district in the state-not certain of that recollection, but it's stuck in my head. Altoona is booming. The less affluent neighborhoods in PHill go to East and east side elementary and middle schools. Basically SEP is a middle to upper middle class suburban school, with a solid number of executive class families. Probably not a family that needs their kid's NIL money for a good lifestyle.
Going to sep hardly guarantees you're rich lmao

Reactions: LGEND24
Please explain where he'll be playing in year two? Is he playing for Fran or KF? The rest is just sillyness. Yes, he's a 5 star player, but ready for the league, hardly. Go back and look at Wirfs. Extreme talent, and size obviously, but needed a lot of polish to be a complete player. Do you really think if he COULD have gone right to the league, (which they can't by the way), he would have been all pro right away with out his three years at Iowa? Hardly. Proctor, like Wirfs is a huge athletic kid. He's been mauling high school kids, most of whom had NO chance against him. Now he'll take a BIG step up and they'll be a learning curve and he'll need work to polish his technique and craft. Then the jump to the league is an even bigger jump where EVERYONE is big and skilled.
He's clearly spending 2 years with the barnstormers....

He also got that during the Penn State game. He was one of a handful of recruits invited in the locker room after the game. Arland Bruce had a video of the post game celebration in the locker room. I'm sure they went downtown right after leaving the locker room.
Good insight. At this point I think Chef Proctor knows what iowa has to offer in terms of football opportunities, my hope is that seeing some of the other X factors, no pun intended are enough to sway him our way if he gets to see other aspects of iowa city and the social offerings.

You're truly a sic fock
All I did was talk about how Iowa more than any other institution in the country has been a leader for diversity equity and inclusion for 175+ years, the first to admit women and African-Americans to major programs, and Iowa has an entirely different tradition than schools in the SEC, for obvious reasons. Polar opposite tradition.

there are a small minority of Hawkeye fans who are not graduates of the University at all, and who are unashamed white supremacists. They do not represent the University and they do not represent the community. But they definitely do troll here.

So he canceled all of his other visits after visiting Bama except the Iowa visit? Uggh. I don't like that.

So he canceled all of his other visits after visiting Bama except the Iowa visit? Uggh. I don't like that.
He didn’t have an official visit set up at Iowa previously. After Bama official he cancelled all of his remaining previously scheduled official visits and scheduled Iowa for this weekend for their big recruiting weekend.

He didn’t have an official visit set up at Iowa previously. After Bama official he cancelled all of his remaining previously scheduled official visits and scheduled Iowa for this weekend for their big recruiting weekend.
I'm making the correlation here that his Bama visit triggered all of this. I think it is a very ominous sign and the Iowa official visit will be a quick compare and then a commit.

I'm making the correlation here that his Bama visit triggered all of this. I think it is a very ominous sign and the Iowa official visit will be a quick compare and then a commit.
Well, the Alabama insiders disagree with you.

My guess is Proctor is just getting tired of all the visits and hoopla (which he stated). There’s a reason Iowa was not originally on his official visit list and Arkansas St. was. At some point, though, all the visits get to be tiresome and repetitive and stop being as fun. The law of diminishing returns, I guess.

Iowa is and from what I’ve gathered has always been the favorite, especially after X committed. Does that mean he’s a 100% lock to Iowa? Of course not. But the pattern has been Proctor will visit a school (e.g. Oregon) and really like it, moving them to second place to Iowa. Look at the Rivals profile that for the longest time had Proctor 50% Iowa and 50% Ohio State. Lol. There is one constant here.

In short, the allure of a blue blood comes and goes. Of the blue blood options, Proctor decided if he were to choose one, Alabama would be it. Now, I’m not saying there’s no way he’ll pick Bama, because teenagers have a tendency to vacillate, but I am saying I would be more apt to share your concerns had Proctor canceled all visits after Bama and didn’t set up anything with Iowa.

At this point, Iowa is still the favorite. The upcoming visit is to seal the deal.

Or, he realizes taking the other visits when he knows it is down to Iowa and Alabama is not honorable. That he scheduled his official with Iowa during the biggest recruiting weekend of the summer is very favorable for the Hawks. He may still be trying to make his final decision, but I like Iowa's chances.

I disagree. He mentioned that the visits were taking time away from training and that he felt like it was hurting his HS teammates as a result. So I think he went to the Bama visit and then thought, look I am not going to Michigan, Penn State or Oregon even if I visit so let's just get this done. He is taking a visit to Iowa now which he wouldn't do if the Bama visit made up his mind on going there.

I disagree. He mentioned that the visits were taking time away from training and that he felt like it was hurting his HS teammates as a result. So I think he went to the Bama visit and then thought, look I am not going to Michigan, Penn State or Oregon even if I visit so let's just get this done. He is taking a visit to Iowa now which he wouldn't do if the Bama visit made up his mind on going there.
Ok, I'm now off the ledge and out of the tree.

Not sure what official visits typically look like, but hopefully his host can take him downtown to the block party to take in some of the social offerings Iowa City has to offer. A lot has been discussed about what Iowa can offer in terms of football, but Iowa City is a great college town and getting to see that along with garnering some attention and love from students can’t hurt our chances to land him.
Context is key ... someone had mentioned how racist things had happened within the program.

The poster folks are (foolishly) heckling here was simply pointing out that the U of I and our athletics program have a terrific historical track-record as it relates to treatment of underrepresented groups.

While some folks might disagree with the individual's politics ... the comments were targeted to the flow of the discussion at that point. Furthermore, the comments were POSITIVE as it relates to the state/program.

I'd understand all the vitriol if the individual was attacking our program ... but the individual was supporting it from their own vantage.

As green as last year’s OL was last year, Proctor could have seen some time skipping his junior and senior seasons. Being semi-facetious but holy moly he’s got size most starting NFL tackles don’t have.
My suspicion as to why Colby has remained at OG is so that Proctor clearly understands that he could walk in and have opportunity at RT. It just so happens that Wirfs played that spot to ... and now is getting handsomely compensated!

for those who don't like or don't click on Twitter:

FACT OR FICTION: Iowa has to be considered the team to beat for five-star OL Kadyn Proctor.

Gorney’s take: FACT.
Counting out Alabama is foolish, but I still think Iowa is in the best position by far to land the five-star offensive lineman. Proctor sort of messed around with his official visit schedule before – putting Arkansas State on it for example – but now that he’s focused on only Alabama and Iowa it puts his recruitment in focus again. The Crimson Tide have done such a good job developing players across the board, but Iowa has done a great job with offensive linemen. It’s the in-state school, his friend and teammate, Xavier Nwankpa plays there and Proctor could be the next Tristan Wirfs in Iowa City. That’s probably too much to turn down.

Cosgrove’s take: FACT. I have always considered Iowa the team to beat for Proctor since I first met him at a practice last season. When Nwankpa, his former five-star teammate and friend, committed to Iowa I began to believe Proctor to Iowa was a foregone conclusion. My confidence in Iowa began to wane slightly when he released his official visit graphic with Iowa noticeably absent. After talking to people in the know when the graphic was released, I regained my confidence in the Hawkeyes being the team to beat for Proctor. I also realized that he had been to Iowa so many times that an official visit would simply be a formality. Proctor has now canceled all of his other official visits and announced that Iowa and Alabama are the final two in his recruitment. While I see Alabama having a chance here, my gut says Proctor stays home with the goal of building something special with Nwankpa.

Context is key ... someone had mentioned how racist things had happened within the program.

The poster folks are (foolishly) heckling here was simply pointing out that the U of I and our athletics program have a terrific historical track-record as it relates to treatment of underrepresented groups.

While some folks might disagree with the individual's politics ... the comments were targeted to the flow of the discussion at that point. Furthermore, the comments were POSITIVE as it relates to the state/program.

I'd understand all the vitriol if the individual was attacking our program ... but the individual was supporting it from their own vantage.
Not sure if this response was meant for my post as it was unrelated to that conversation

for those who don't like or don't click on Twitter:

FACT OR FICTION: Iowa has to be considered the team to beat for five-star OL Kadyn Proctor.

Gorney’s take: FACT.
Counting out Alabama is foolish, but I still think Iowa is in the best position by far to land the five-star offensive lineman. Proctor sort of messed around with his official visit schedule before – putting Arkansas State on it for example – but now that he’s focused on only Alabama and Iowa it puts his recruitment in focus again. The Crimson Tide have done such a good job developing players across the board, but Iowa has done a great job with offensive linemen. It’s the in-state school, his friend and teammate, Xavier Nwankpa plays there and Proctor could be the next Tristan Wirfs in Iowa City. That’s probably too much to turn down.

Cosgrove’s take: FACT. I have always considered Iowa the team to beat for Proctor since I first met him at a practice last season. When Nwankpa, his former five-star teammate and friend, committed to Iowa I began to believe Proctor to Iowa was a foregone conclusion. My confidence in Iowa began to wane slightly when he released his official visit graphic with Iowa noticeably absent. After talking to people in the know when the graphic was released, I regained my confidence in the Hawkeyes being the team to beat for Proctor. I also realized that he had been to Iowa so many times that an official visit would simply be a formality. Proctor has now canceled all of his other official visits and announced that Iowa and Alabama are the final two in his recruitment. While I see Alabama having a chance here, my gut says Proctor stays home with the goal of building something special with Nwankpa.
I was interested and had time to burn so I did a little digging. Between 2010-2019 Bama brought in 61 two/three star recruits, seven of whom were ultimately drafted. In the same time frame, Iowa brought in 207 two/three star recruits, 22 of whom were drafted. That total Iowa number however includes LaPorta and Campbell, so the number of three-star Iowa players drafted in that time frame will be at least 24, maybe more if Jestin Jacobs, Lee, Castro get drafted.

Just interesting, obviously Bama doesn't take in nearly as many but they do a solid job, with one out of every nine two/three star recruits getting drafted, which is about the same rate as Iowa.

Our 2016 class was really impressive, had 6 three-star recruits who were ultimately drafted (Stanley, Fant, Hooker, Hockenson, Golston, Niemann.)

Going to sep hardly guarantees you're rich lmao
You probably shouldn't laugh at things that aren't said or implied. You are, of course, correct that going to SEP does not guarantee wealth. But I didn't say anything like those words. I said:

Basically SEP is a middle to upper middle class suburban school, with a solid number of executive class families. Probably not a family that needs their kid's NIL money for a good lifestyle.

How is that laughable? If anything, I understated SEP's affluence. SEP has the 6th highest median family income by district and 7th in highest percentage of six digit income families. All of which seems to prove my conclusion.

Probably not a family that needs their kid's NIL money for a good lifestyle. Based on the actual income averages that statement is precisely correct. It is unlikely that Kadyn comes from a poor family. Not impossible but not likely either.​

• Haha
Reactions: Ree4 and HawkOn15
You probably shouldn't laugh at things that aren't said or implied. You are, of course, correct that going to SEP does not guarantee wealth. But I didn't say anything like those words. I said:

Basically SEP is a middle to upper middle class suburban school, with a solid number of executive class families. Probably not a family that needs their kid's NIL money for a good lifestyle.

How is that laughable? If anything, I understated SEP's affluence. SEP has the 6th highest median family income by district and 7th in highest percentage of six digit income families. All of which seems to prove my conclusion.

Probably not a family that needs their kid's NIL money for a good lifestyle. Based on the actual income averages that statement is precisely correct. It is unlikely that Kadyn comes from a poor family. Not impossible but not likely either.​
You are ignorant if you think you know someone's financial situation based on the public high school they attend. Period.

Reactions: PNW_Hawk
All I did was talk about how Iowa more than any other institution in the country has been a leader for diversity equity and inclusion for 175+ years, the first to admit women and African-Americans to major programs, and Iowa has an entirely different tradition than schools in the SEC, for obvious reasons. Polar opposite tradition.

there are a small minority of Hawkeye fans who are not graduates of the University at all, and who are unashamed white supremacists. They do not represent the University and they do not represent the community. But they definitely do troll here.
Don’t mind the idiots on this board like @Kurt Warner @grayhair81 @Madhawk83 and @BonzoFury et. al. who criticized your posts about the university’s honorable and storied history of supporting black people and their college aspirations. Iowa stands as a historic leader in that area, a fact we can all be proud of.

A few of these shitty posters above made complete asses of themselves here on HROT a couple of summers ago when the whole racial issue came up within the football program and showed themselves for what they are, dirt under our feet. You don’t need to explain anything to them, they don’t understand English well enough to comprehend it anyway.

That being said, I think Kadyn is a Hawkeye. He doesn’t seem to me to be the kind of young man that would schedule a visit to Iowa in their biggest weekend if the year just so he can kick Hawkeye nation in their collective nuts the following week. If he goes to Alabama, so be it, we’ll all go on living, but I think him being in Tuscaloosa next year is a long shot now.

Don’t mind the idiots on this board like @Kurt Warner @grayhair81 @Madhawk83 and @BonzoFury et. al. who criticized your posts about the university’s honorable and storied history of supporting black people and their college aspirations. Iowa stands as a historic leader in that area, a fact we can all be proud of.

A few of these shitty posters above made complete asses of themselves here on HROT a couple of summers ago when the whole racial issue came up within the football program and showed themselves for what they are, dirt under our feet. You don’t need to explain anything to them, they don’t understand English well enough to comprehend it anyway.

That being said, I think Kadyn is a Hawkeye. He doesn’t seem to me to be the kind of young man that would schedule a visit to Iowa in their biggest weekend if the year just so he can kick Hawkeye nation in their collective nuts the following week. If he goes to Alabama, so be it, we’ll all go on living, but I think him being in Tuscaloosa next year is a long shot now.

Does someone need a hug?

I didn't criticize his post for honoring the U of I and their history of inclusion. I criticized him for constantly bringing his leftist bullshit into a football forum. You would have discerned that had you a speck of reading comprehension.
I fail to see the so called leftist bs you’re referring to ITT. What exactly are you referencing? And no thanks on the hug, I wouldn’t touch you with a ten foot pole based on your posting history here.

• Haha
Reactions: Ree4 and DewHawk
I fail to see the so called leftist bs you’re referring to ITT. What exactly are you referencing? And no thanks on the hug, I wouldn’t touch you with a ten foot pole based on your posting history here.

Well, let's see. He has labeled people from North Liberty and Ankeny as racists for not living in Iowa City or Des Moines. He has made numerous comments about Trump and his followers. It belongs on OT-not the football board.

Go back to post 64.

Calling the University of Alabama unethical because it has a long history of skirting the NCAA rules in order to succeed is fine, because it fits the discussion of football.

Calling the University of Alabama unethical because the bulk of its fan base consists of unsavory extreme far right Trump chumps starts to meander into that political zone which we try to avoid around here.

DGBSJ has an agenda. He isn’t a total wacko troll like Ole Ted, but a lot of his posts in the football board have certain political undertones. Easiest thing is to pay him no mind if his schtick gets bothersome.

ADVERTISEMENT