ADVERTISEMENT

New Story Five-star OT Kadyn Proctor down to two

Go back to post 64.

Calling the University of Alabama unethical because it has a long history of skirting the NCAA rules in order to succeed is fine, because it fits the discussion of football.

Calling the University of Alabama unethical because the bulk of its fan base consists of unsavory extreme far right Trump chumps starts to meander into that political zone which we try to avoid around here.

DGBSJ has an agenda. He isn’t a total wacko troll like Ole Ted, but a lot of his posts in the football board have certain political undertones. Easiest thing is to pay him no mind if his schtick gets bothersome.
I agree that you kinda have to filter how you read DGBSJ's posts ... their post was largely "on topic" ... perhaps, for a change. Now, sure, the comments about 'Bama fans was prejudicial in its own way ... however, plenty of the right-wingers on this board don't hesitate at all when throwing their barbs.

Reactions: natchrlman
I agree that you kinda have to filter how you read DGBSJ's posts ... their post was largely "on topic" ... perhaps, for a change. Now, sure, the comments about 'Bama fans was prejudicial in its own way ... however, plenty of the right-wingers on this board don't hesitate at all when throwing their barbs.

That Alabama has a long and ugly history of overtly and egregiously discriminatory policies, practices, and so-called “culture” is absolutely not political, but it is factual. And every one of the D-I football programs exists because it is part of a university, And every football player is a student at one of those universities, so discussions about universities and history are 100% relevant and it absolutely is critical to consider.

This idea that controversial topics even directly related to football and universities are “political” and shouldn’t be talked about is just ridiculous. And I don’t have a particular agenda other than respect for history and facts and science and ethics and responsibility.

It’s the people who do not respect the above who have the agenda, and that agenda is all too often complicit in if not directly propagandistic, authoritarian, or even fascist. Yes those are political terms, but not everything can be described that is relevant to student athletes and universities and football using merely football terms. That’s why we have such a thing as language and such a thing as the first amendment.

It’s really amazing that the true snowflakes are the people who refuse to acknowledge that facts actually do exist, and it is possible to verify them, and it is our responsibility to collectively seek verification of said facts, And respect institutions which are charged to do that, especially universities.

The subject of this thread is one of the most talented players ever to wear an Iowa high school uniform. He has a big decision to make, and I’m confident that he has a respect for many decades of history, and he is also respectful of facts, tradition, family, school, university, and community.

You are ignorant if you think you know someone's financial situation based on the public high school they attend. Period.

Once again, two big problems for your snotty reply. First, where did I say I know the Proctor families' financial situation? I mean you have now twice displayed a desire to first be snotty/snarky and just flat out call me ignorant about words I never used and an implication that could not be reasonably confused with your insulting statement. How did you miss this: Don't know the family but he plays for an affluent HS.

That is specifically saying I do not know the Proctor family financial condition. ****ing specific. However, given his school district, being the 6th most affluent in the state, makes it far less likely that his family is poor.

You also missed this of my many statements about probability. Like this whole paragraph.

Probably not a family that needs their kid's NIL money for a good lifestyle. Based on the actual income averages that statement is precisely correct. It is unlikely that Kadyn comes from a poor family. Not impossible but not likely either. Once again, I am specifically stating that I do not know the precise family situation but given the affluence of the school he attends Kadyn is simply unlikely to be poor.

Of what fact am I ignorant in my statement of the obvious. I know Kadyn Proctor is an SEP student. I know SEP has the 6th highest average family income. I know the scale of affluence of the school. What other facts do I need to know to reach the statistically probable result; any given student in SEP is unlikely to come from a poor family.

I read your stuff. You're not stupid. I think you understand the statements of mere probabilities that I was making and did not misunderstand me. I think you have something else on your mind. The alternative possibility is your inability to engage in nothing more sophisticated than the content of a freshman math or logic class which would make you quite indeed the ignoramus in this conversation.

So, you have some other game in mind. Otherwise, why are you so sensitive about the likely possibility that Kadyn's family being middle class to executive wealth? Else, why pick a fight with me over it. Do you have some emotional or internal investment in Kadyn's family being poor?​

• Haha
Reactions: Ree4 and HawkOn15
To me, it was really breathtaking to see Proctor eliminate ISU so early, out of his immense respect for coach Campbell.
Makes me nervous TBH. An early sign he doesn’t want anything to do with being part of a team. 😉

Reactions: Birky
Don’t mind the idiots on this board like @Kurt Warner @grayhair81 @Madhawk83 and @BonzoFury et. al. who criticized your posts about the university’s honorable and storied history of supporting black people and their college aspirations. Iowa stands as a historic leader in that area, a fact we can all be proud of.

A few of these shitty posters above made complete asses of themselves here on HROT a couple of summers ago when the whole racial issue came up within the football program and showed themselves for what they are, dirt under our feet. You don’t need to explain anything to them, they don’t understand English well enough to comprehend it anyway.

That being said, I think Kadyn is a Hawkeye. He doesn’t seem to me to be the kind of young man that would schedule a visit to Iowa in their biggest weekend if the year just so he can kick Hawkeye nation in their collective nuts the following week. If he goes to Alabama, so be it, we’ll all go on living, but I think him being in Tuscaloosa next year is a long shot now.
I didn't criticize him at all for talking about Iowa being one of the Universities that was in front of leading a charge for tremendous change in college football and for bringing more opportunities for people that previously lacked access to those opportunities. I was criticizing him for using words like equity and inclusion which are at best meaningless terms and at worse something far more sinister. I notice that diversity only extends up to the point that diversity of thought becomes a factor for people like you and then miraculously diversity doesn't matter. By the way the only diversity that really matters is that of thought and action as those are the factors that most define people. Race truly is not a factor in decision making for the individual. But people like you equate disagreeing with your view as somehow nothing more than asses that makes you nothing more than someone who is emotionally underdeveloped.

That Alabama has a long and ugly history of overtly and egregiously discriminatory policies, practices, and so-called “culture” is absolutely not political, but it is factual. And every one of the D-I football programs exists because it is part of a university, And every football player is a student at one of those universities, so discussions about universities and history are 100% relevant and it absolutely is critical to consider.

This idea that controversial topics even directly related to football and universities are “political” and shouldn’t be talked about is just ridiculous. And I don’t have a particular agenda other than respect for history and facts and science and ethics and responsibility.

It’s the people who do not respect the above who have the agenda, and that agenda is all too often complicit in if not directly propagandistic, authoritarian, or even fascist. Yes those are political terms, but not everything can be described that is relevant to student athletes and universities and football using merely football terms. That’s why we have such a thing as language and such a thing as the first amendment.

It’s really amazing that the true snowflakes are the people who refuse to acknowledge that facts actually do exist, and it is possible to verify them, and it is our responsibility to collectively seek verification of said facts, And respect institutions which are charged to do that, especially universities.

The subject of this thread is one of the most talented players ever to wear an Iowa high school uniform. He has a big decision to make, and I’m confident that he has a respect for many decades of history, and he is also respectful of facts, tradition, family, school, university, and community.
I have no idea the color of your skin nor do I particularly care but this reads exactly like something a white liberal who views himself as the only person who can solve racism would write. You believe history from decades ago should play a role in a black athletes decision as to where to go to college even though clearly U of Alabama has been much more of an attraction to most Black Athletes for a long time than Iowa. I notice a lot of white liberals seem to think that minorities need white liberals to make decisions or at a minimum believing that them as the white liberal knows what should be most important for said minority.

Last edited:
I didn't criticize his post for honoring the U of I and their history of inclusion. I criticized him for constantly bringing his leftist bullshit into a football forum. You would have discerned that had you a speck of reading comprehension.
I would definitely agree that people should leave their political believes on Facebook, a Hawkeye sports forum is not the place to hash out politics. I have had a spat or two based on politics, and it is not worth the time because no one ever wins. There are those that hate Conservatives, and those who hate Liberals, we just don't need to hate each other on a sports forum.

I would definitely agree that people should leave their political believes on Facebook, a Hawkeye sports forum is not the place to hash out politics. I have had a spat or two based on politics, and it is not worth the time because no one ever wins. There are those that hate Conservatives, and those who hate Liberals, we just don't need to hate each other on a sports forum.
This. There's about 100000 other places on the internet to get into political slapfights.

Once again, two big problems for your snotty reply. First, where did I say I know the Proctor families' financial situation? I mean you have now twice displayed a desire to first be snotty/snarky and just flat out call me ignorant about words I never used and an implication that could not be reasonably confused with your insulting statement. How did you miss this: Don't know the family but he plays for an affluent HS.

That is specifically saying I do not know the Proctor family financial condition. ****ing specific. However, given his school district, being the 6th most affluent in the state, makes it far less likely that his family is poor.

You also missed this of my many statements about probability. Like this whole paragraph.

Probably not a family that needs their kid's NIL money for a good lifestyle. Based on the actual income averages that statement is precisely correct. It is unlikely that Kadyn comes from a poor family. Not impossible but not likely either. Once again, I am specifically stating that I do not know the precise family situation but given the affluence of the school he attends Kadyn is simply unlikely to be poor.

Of what fact am I ignorant in my statement of the obvious. I know Kadyn Proctor is an SEP student. I know SEP has the 6th highest average family income. I know the scale of affluence of the school. What other facts do I need to know to reach the statistically probable result; any given student in SEP is unlikely to come from a poor family.

I read your stuff. You're not stupid. I think you understand the statements of mere probabilities that I was making and did not misunderstand me. I think you have something else on your mind. The alternative possibility is your inability to engage in nothing more sophisticated than the content of a freshman math or logic class which would make you quite indeed the ignoramus in this conversation.

So, you have some other game in mind. Otherwise, why are you so sensitive about the likely possibility that Kadyn's family being middle class to executive wealth? Else, why pick a fight with me over it. Do you have some emotional or internal investment in Kadyn's family being poor?​
Lot of typing to back away from a silly comment....

I actually agree with you, however when someone makes it political and others push back the people that push back aren't the ones to blame. The people that politicized what should not be a political issue are. This goes for anyone Conservatives or Liberals.

Reactions: scotthawk1964
Don’t mind the idiots on this board like @Kurt Warner @grayhair81 @Madhawk83 and @BonzoFury et. al. who criticized your posts about the university’s honorable and storied history of supporting black people and their college aspirations. Iowa stands as a historic leader in that area, a fact we can all be proud of.

A few of these shitty posters above made complete asses of themselves here on HROT a couple of summers ago when the whole racial issue came up within the football program and showed themselves for what they are, dirt under our feet. You don’t need to explain anything to them, they don’t understand English well enough to comprehend it anyway.

That being said, I think Kadyn is a Hawkeye. He doesn’t seem to me to be the kind of young man that would schedule a visit to Iowa in their biggest weekend if the year just so he can kick Hawkeye nation in their collective nuts the following week. If he goes to Alabama, so be it, we’ll all go on living, but I think him being in Tuscaloosa next year is a long shot now.

😫

Well, let's see. He has labeled people from North Liberty and Ankeny as racists for not living in Iowa City or Des Moines. He has made numerous comments about Trump and his followers. It belongs on OT-not the football board.
The person you responded to has called people in Waukee and West Des Moines racists, which explains said posters appearance in this thread.

I'm no 'bama fan. Far from it. But clearly they have a lot of factors in their favor. Hoping the intangibles of home in this case are enough to sway his decision.

I actually agree with you, however when someone makes it political and others push back the people that push back aren't the ones to blame. The people that politicized what should not be a political issue are. This goes for anyone Conservatives or Liberals.
I have been sucked into a couple political name calling posts myself but I try and avoid them because I just get pissed off. LOL It's sad that some people cannot leave the world of politics just for a few minutes and concentrate purely on football.

After the news earlier today........

6kfia9.jpg

I
Lot of typing to back away from a silly comment....
I haven't backed away from anything. Not bizzaro world. I quoted myself, who you twice misrepresented, in increasingly shitty language. An advocate does not "back out" by repeatedly restating their precise original words. You still have not said how or why I'm wrong or why using a pretty simple, very simple math/stats analysis of known facts to determine probability. Why did you insult me if you cannot grasp the following, syllogistically stated known facts and probabilities?

1. Kadyn goes to SE Polk HS.

2. SEP is the 6th most affluent school district in Iowa.

3. SEP is a huge school and geographically the largest in the Metro.

4. To be the 6th most affluent there must necessarily be a statistically significantly greater number of middle to executive income families than low income or poor families. That's the math part.

5. Since there are more middle to executive income families in his school district the probability of Kadyn coming from the larger demo (middle to executive) of families is greater than coming from the smaller demo (low income-poor). Just observation of an objective and accurate statement of the probabilities. Another math part.

6. I have continuously said since my original post and in every response thereafter I do not know the family nor their specific financial circumstances, only the probabilities. That's not backing away and for some reason you find the foregoing argument (premise+premise=conclusion n/snark or personal attacks) either mathematically and logically unsound; or, in your really silly second response attributed some "ignorance" to me without identifying any relevant fact or conclusion I missed. Perhaps the ignorance statement was an inartful way of suggesting some moral failing in my foregoing objective-math based conclusion.

Why are you at war with math? Why do you find logic silly? Be specific, arguments, not just repetitive non sequitur snarky or insulting one liners. Pull up your big boy pants and we can reason our way through your deep confusion about how math and logic work.​

Last edited:
I have been sucked into a couple political name calling posts myself but I try and avoid them because I just get pissed off. LOL It's sad that some people cannot leave the world of politics just for a few minutes and concentrate purely on football.
I don't disagree

Reactions: scotthawk1964
I

I haven't back away from anything. Not bizzaro world. I quoted myself, who you twice misrepresented, in increasingly shitty language. An advocate does not "back out" by repeatedly restating their precise original words. You still have not said how or why I'm wrong or why using a pretty simple, very simple math/stats analysis of known facts to determine probability. Why did you insult me if you cannot grasp the following, syllogistically stated known facts and probabilities?

4. To be the 6th most affluent there must necessarily be a statistically significantly greater number of middle to executive income families than low income or poor families. That's the math part.

5. Since there are more middle to executive income families in his school district the probability of Kadyn coming from the larger demo (middle to executive) of families than the smaller demo (low income-poor). Just observation of an objective and accurate statement of the probabilities. Another math part.

6. I have continuously said since my original post and in every response thereafter I do not know the family nor their specific financial circumstances, only the probabilities. That's not backing away and for some reason you find the foregoing argument (premise+premise=conclusion n/snark or personal attacks) either mathematically and logically unsound; or, in your really silly second response attributed some "ignorance" to me without identifying any relevant fact or conclusion I missed. Perhaps the ignorance statement was an inartful way of suggesting some moral failing in my foregoing objective-math based conclusion.

Or just let it drop without further comment.

Why are you at war with math? Why do you find logic silly? Be specific, arguments, not just repetitive non sequitur snarky or insulting one liners. Pull up your big boy pants and we can reason our way through your deep confusion about how math and logic work.​
JFC you guys need to let it go.

I

I haven't back away from anything. Not bizzaro world. I quoted myself, who you twice misrepresented, in increasingly shitty language. An advocate does not "back out" by repeatedly restating their precise original words. You still have not said how or why I'm wrong or why using a pretty simple, very simple math/stats analysis of known facts to determine probability. Why did you insult me if you cannot grasp the following, syllogistically stated known facts and probabilities?

5. Since there are more middle to executive income families in his school district the probability of Kadyn coming from the larger demo (middle to executive) of families than the smaller demo (low income-poor). Just observation of an objective and accurate statement of the probabilities. Another math part.

Or just let it drop without further comment.

What was even the point you were originally trying to make? That he is in less need of NIL money (or at least less likely to need it) than a kid that went to a school in a non-affluent area? I would be considered middle class, and live in a school district (out of Iowa) where they spend a lot of money per pupil on public education. And if my son was offered hundreds of thousands of dollars in NIL money at a particular school, if everything else was equal I would advise him that there's nothing wrong with going to where the NIL money was more significant. There is zero guarantee that even a highly ranked high school player is going to end up with a huge NFL contract. I'd want my son to get a college education in the field that interests him. If one of his finalist schools offered more NIL money, where he could graduate and hand hundreds of thousands already in the bank, how is this a bad thing?

It's likely I'm way too obtuse and missed the whole point. Which is probably for the best.

Actually the light dust up with Skynyrd was mostly over "Southern Man" from Young's After the Gold Rush album...
Young made "Southern Man" on the LP "Everyone knows this is no where" in 1970, then "Alabama" on the Harvest LP in 1972. Lynryd Skynyrd replied with "Sweet Home Alabama" on the LP "Second Helping" in response to the direct afront to Alabama. It was amusing to say the least.

I love the music of both Young and Lynryd Skynyrd. I was only able to see Neil Young and Crazyhorse in concert. I was supposed to see Lynryd Skynyrd in concert but there was a plane crash that ended that chance. 🙁

I have no idea the color of your skin nor do I particularly care but this reads exactly like something a white liberal who views himself as the only person who can solve racism would write. You believe history from decades ago should play a role in a black athletes decision as to where to go to college even though clearly U of Alabama has been much more of an attraction to most Black Athletes for a long time than Iowa. I notice a lot of white liberals seem to think that minorities need white liberals to make decisions or at a minimum believing that them as the white liberal knows what should be most important for said minority.
Whatever.

I’m not a woman either, but that doesn’t prevent me from discussing issues of history, because many of Iowa’s milestones as an institution have been in being the first to allow women admission to major colleges and programs, and that’s the history I linked in my original post above. And here again if any of the very sensitive posters here are brave enough to scroll through it.

i’m talking about history and the radically different history between two institutions, because it’s very difficult to find an institution of higher education that is less distinguished, let’s just say, in the areas mentioned than the University of Alabama, and it would be very difficult to call many if not most current Alabama fans a tolerant or forward thinking group of people, although I am absolutely sure that they would claim the opposite, and call themselves the bestest ever. Again, whatever.

I wouldn’t have brought this stuff up at all had the choices not come down to Alabama and Iowa. It’s important that we all know our history and we don’t deny it or prevent school kids or potential students at the University from knowing it and basing their decisions upon it.

Telling people basically to shut up about history is what is done in authoritarian societies, and I just hope you’re not trying that here, even though our ill educated and ill qualified governor and a bunch of ideologues in her party are trying to white wash history and censor the teaching of it in our classrooms.

That doesn’t mean that we have to act that way at one of the preeminent universities in the United States, the University of Iowa, Or on forums about student athletes and the sports they play at this university. Some People need to show just a little spine and a little more integrity.

Reactions: Ree4
Young made "Southern Man" on the LP "Everyone knows this is no where" in 1970, then "Alabama" on the Harvest LP in 1972. Lynryd Skynyrd replied with "Sweet Home Alabama" on the LP "Second Helping" in response to the direct afront to Alabama. It was amusing to say the least.

I love the music of both Young and Lynryd Skynyrd. I was only able to see Neil Young and Crazyhorse in concert. I was supposed to see Lynryd Skynyrd in concert but there was a plane crash that ended that chance. 🙁

I'm also a huge Neil Young fan and have seen him twice with Crazy Horse and once with CSNY....

While the 1969 "Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere" is an excellent album containing numerous Young hits like Down by the River, Cowgirl in the Sand and Cinnamon Girl, the equally good Southern Man will not be found here. To locate this gem you will have to look towards the 1970 album "After the Gold Rush".

I never saw Skynyrd either...

Last edited:
Reactions: 59DAWG and BBHawk
Whatever.

I’m not a woman either, but that doesn’t prevent me from discussing issues of history, because many of Iowa’s milestones as an institution have been in being the first to allow women admission to major colleges and programs, and that’s the history I linked in my original post above. And here again if any of the very sensitive posters here are brave enough to scroll through it.

i’m talking about history and the radically different history between two institutions, because it’s very difficult to find an institution of higher education that is less distinguished, let’s just say, in the areas mentioned than the University of Alabama, and it would be very difficult to call many if not most current Alabama fans a tolerant or forward thinking group of people, although I am absolutely sure that they would claim the opposite, and call themselves the bestest ever. Again, whatever.

I wouldn’t have brought this stuff up at all had the choices not come down to Alabama and Iowa. It’s important that we all know our history and we don’t deny it or prevent school kids or potential students at the University from knowing it and basing their decisions upon it.

Telling people basically to shut up about history is what is done in authoritarian societies, and I just hope you’re not trying that here, even though our ill educated and ill qualified governor and a bunch of ideologues in her party are trying to white wash history and censor the teaching of it in our classrooms.

That doesn’t mean that we have to act that way at one of the preeminent universities in the United States, the University of Iowa, Or on forums about student athletes and the sports they play at this university. Some People need to show just a little spine and a little more integrity.

So I will go ahead and address this lunacy. I never said that you couldn't in fact have an opinion nor did I state that you couldn't state said opinion, hell I encourage people to have opinions on all sorts of issue that don't directly affect their daily lives. Nowhere did I try and restrict your ability to have your opinion nor did I state that because you are white that your opinion has any less merit. I merely said that it looks like every other opinion that a white liberal would say and then gave my opinion on why I believe it to be lunacy. In regards to your last paragraph, I'm not trying to hide from history, I'm not even denying there is still some side effects from past racial injustices, I'm absolutely mocking the attempting to use it somehow as a recruiting tool on a message board and also the idea that it should in any way impact a kids decision in 2022 where to play college football. This will be my last comment on the football boards on this issue. Feel free to call me out on the off-topic board if you really want to continue to wildly misrepresent what I am saying, but there is no reason to continue the politicization on this board that was not started by me.

Reactions: Kurt Warner
I'm also a huge Neil Young fan and have seen him twice with Crazy Horse and once with CSNY....

While the 1969 "Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere" is an excellent album containing numerous Young hits like Down by the River, Cowgirl in the Sand and Cinnamon Girl, the equally good Southern Man will not be found here. To locate this gem you will have to look towards the 1970 album "After the Gold Rush".

I never saw Skynyrd either...
You are correct, sir! I rushed that without checking.

I was fortunate to get several really great CDs of Young and Crazy Horse several years ago when a CD shop was going out of business. I not only got some great studio albums but also some amazing live compilations, lots of early stuff. I actually have one of Young playing "Like a Hurricane" on what sounds like a pipe organ. Really freaky stuff!

I caught Young and Crazy Horse a few years back at Chicago Stadium, home of the Bulls. It was the first stop of the 3rd part of the "Rust Never Sleeps" trilogy, the Alchemy Tour. We really lucked into it! They played all of the old stuff plus some really hard rock new stuff.

You are correct, sir! I rushed that without checking.

I was fortunate to get several really great CDs of Young and Crazy Horse several years ago when a CD shop was going out of business. I not only got some great studio albums but also some amazing live compilations, lots of early stuff. I actually have one of Young playing "Like a Hurricane" on what sounds like a pipe organ. Really freaky stuff!

I caught Young and Crazy Horse a few years back at Chicago Stadium, home of the Bulls. It was the first stop of the 3rd part of the "Rust Never Sleeps" trilogy, the Alchemy Tour. We really lucked into it! They played all of the old stuff plus some really hard rock new stuff.

Interesting,.. One of my Neil with Crazy Horse concerts was the original 1978 Rust Never Sleeps tour at the old Chicago Stadium.

All this back and forth about race, politics, and socio-economic issues, and not a soul has asked why KP is still listed as 50/50 between IOWA and tOSU on the homepage! Can't we all just get along well enough to deal with the really serious stuff?

All this back and forth about race, politics, and socio-economic issues, and not a soul has asked why KP is still listed as 50/50 between IOWA and tOSU on the homepage! Can't we all just get along well enough to deal with the really serious stuff?
Because those rarely get updated

Tom said that he'd probably go 60-40 Iowa over AL in a recent podcast, if that helps. And regarding all the bullshit that pops up in these threads, that's life!
😉

Reactions: David1979
ADVERTISEMENT