ADVERTISEMENT

New Story Five-star safety Xavier Nwankpa talks Iowa commitment

Apr 8, 2003
Five-star safety Xavier Nwankpa is going to be a Hawkeye. After announcing his commitment to Iowa, we caught up with Nwankpa to discuss his decision, what the main factors were, recruiting others to join him, and much more.

Is this kid a legacy or…..? Honest to God I don’t follow recruiting at all, cuz I have a life. I’m glad we got him, just not sure why Iowa if I’m being honest.

• Haha
Reactions: HungryHawk
Love it! Only negative was that it was late in the process, so he wasn’t really able to help recruit others into Iowa’s 22 class. Looks like he will need to help recruit the 23 class!

Is this kid a legacy or…..? Honest to God I don’t follow recruiting at all, cuz I have a life. I’m glad we got him, just not sure why Iowa if I’m being honest.
giphy.gif

If I heard correctly, he is coming in January? that is a bonus!

as mentioned, several of the true freshmen who played a lot apparently enrolled in last January. There seems to be an obvious nexus there, not just talent alone.

don't want to annoint him as the next Deon Sanders or anything, but he could start early 2022. Aren't we losing a bunch due to graduation/early departures?

Because Iowa has produced the D back of the year in the Big Ten in five of the last 10 seasons. Because Iowa has produced the most NFL Dbacks. And, as X specifically said he liked the stability and stability was important.

Do you also not pay attention to what Iowa does for defensive backs?

You mean you had a life? This is an Iowa recruiting board since you seem to be lost. Beat it, douche
Lol, calm down guy. This isn’t a board specific to recruiting. It’s ALL Iowa football. I never open recruiting threads, doesn’t interest me most the time. I was simply saying I’m shocked he would pick Iowa over Ohio state all things being equal. Now, back to your important lives guys, sorry I offended some.

Guy made a good decision. Looking back on it in 10 years from the NFL, he’ll have fond memories.

Lol, calm down guy. This isn’t a board specific to recruiting. It’s ALL Iowa football. I never open recruiting threads, doesn’t interest me most the time. I was simply saying I’m shocked he would pick Iowa over Ohio state all things being equal. Now, back to your important lives guys, sorry I offended some.
So you have too much of a life to discuss Iowa football recruiting via a message board, but not too much of a life to discuss Iowa football via a message board?

If I heard correctly, he is coming in January? that is a bonus!

as mentioned, several of the true freshmen who played a lot apparently enrolled in last January. There seems to be an obvious nexus there, not just talent alone.

don't want to annoint him as the next Deon Sanders or anything, but he could start early 2022. Aren't we losing a bunch due to graduation/early departures?
Yes. He'll play in the All-American Bowl in early January and then enroll at Iowa at semester.

Reactions: HawkInArk
Love it and I hope he fairs better than all the other hyped in state recruits
Depends on who you are talking about. Blake Larsen, yes hope he does better. Tim Dwight and Tavian Banks were in-state guys that were likely for sure 4-stars at least if recruiting services were like they are today. They had very, very good college careers. The state of Iowa just hasn't produced any 5-star recruits to speak of. It would be shocking if Xavier Nwankpa isn't at least a good college player. Hopefully Proctor follows suit next year.

Depends on who you are talking about. Blake Larsen, yes hope he does better. Tim Dwight and Tavian Banks were in-state guys that were likely for sure 4-stars at least if recruiting services were like they are today. They had very, very good college careers. The state of Iowa just hasn't produced any 5-star recruits to speak of. It would be shocking if Xavier Nwankpa isn't at least a good college player. Hopefully Proctor follows suit next year.

Don’t forget about that schmuck who apparently grew up a die-hard Hawkeye, but flipped on us at the last minute and went to fight for the south.

Don’t forget about that schmuck who apparently grew up a die-hard Hawkeye, but flipped on us at the last minute and went to fight for the south.
Yes, Pierschbacher. Yes, he flipped but really don't get into blaming guys on decisions they make about their futures. He won multiple titles I believe at Bama and is on the Jets practice squad still today.

Reactions: EpenesaEpenesa
Yes, Pierschbacher. Yes, he flipped but really don't get into blaming guys on decisions they make about their futures. He won multiple titles I believe at Bama and is on the Jets practice squad still today.
Yeah, Agree. I don’t frown upon his choice.

RP ended up playing on the biggest stage multiple times - he would not have gotten that same experience in Iowa City.

I for one am excited to see the DM metro area start pumping out the level of athlete/player they should be in comparison to the a-3a schools of the state.

Reactions: David1979

Meh ...you leave my best friend, and your childhood sweetheart at the alter to run away with a cassanova ...you're dead to me

So you have too much of a life to discuss Iowa football recruiting via a message board, but not too much of a life to discuss Iowa football via a message board?
....yes, that's what I said. I don't follow or care much about the recruiting aspect, pretty simple concept brah.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT