ADVERTISEMENT

Fla. sheriff: Students no longer fear getting ‘a-- cheeks’ ‘torn off’, need new discipline policy

Sheriff Wayne Ivey is another of the Florida showboat sheriffs; though he isn't the worst

Here he is suited up for war and then going on beach patrol

Last edited:
Ah, just grandstanding. The minute this meeting is held and he proposes something ridiculous the lawyers will ask him exactly how much money he is prepared to lose in lawsuits and then he will understand why discipline policies are like they are.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Sheriff is obviously grandstanding…

That said discipline in schools has become a joke.

Can’t create a good learning environment if the inmates run the asylum.
Absolutely correct. Unfortunately the laws have become such a joke, that school personnel cannot even touch kids. Literally, the law says that kids cannot be held, if they are threatening another person, or running into the street. There is a law being discussed (unofficially) in Iowa that schools cannot ever suspend a kid.

It’s a lawsuit waiting to happen.

However in my opinion it is exactly what needs to happen. There are children that have 0 respect for teachers or other individuals. There is no fear of consequences.

Back in my day the teachers were trained in Lego Ninjago so you stayed behaved.

Illinois school for disabled children leads the nation in student arrests. Hopefully the state shuts this school down and revokes the certifications of the school's management.

The School That Calls the Police on Students Every Other Day

It’s a lawsuit waiting to happen.

However in my opinion it is exactly what needs to happen. There are children that have 0 respect for teachers or other individuals. There is no fear of consequences.
Need to be able to spank parents, then, too.

• Haha
Reactions: ICHerky
Illinois school for disabled children leads the nation in student arrests. Hopefully the state shuts this school down and revokes the certifications of the school's management.

The School That Calls the Police on Students Every Other Day

What is a school supposed to do when the students are violently attacking staff, other students, and destroying property? These aren't normal defiant behaviors. These are extremely violent.

Absolutely correct. Unfortunately the laws have become such a joke, that school personnel cannot even touch kids. Literally, the law says that kids cannot be held, if they are threatening another person, or running into the street. There is a law being discussed (unofficially) in Iowa that schools cannot ever suspend a kid.

Teachers in Iowa absolutely can restrain students. There are restraint techniques they can't use, but they can hold and restrain students.

Unless the training my wife has received from the school and state has violated the law.

What is a school supposed to do when the students are violently attacking staff, other students, and destroying property? These aren't normal defiant behaviors. These are extremely violent.

Schools all over that state and around the country deal with the similarly challenging students and they don't call the police at a rate of every other day to deal with basic discipline problems.

Schools all over that state and around the country deal with the similarly challenging students and they don't call the police at a rate of every other day to deal with basic discipline problems.

My wife's Ass't Prinicpal was hit over the head with a chair by a kindergartener. No police.

Reactions: TC Nole OX
Not in certain districts. CPI training is only useable by certain school personnel. Teachers cannot use CPI unless they have been trained. Even then, they are extremely limited. I know of a case where a teacher broke up a fight and got suspended pending the outcome of the case because he touched the students while breaking up the fight.

My wife's Ass't Prinicpal was hit over the head with a chair by a kindergartener. No police.
So, adults should just tolerate being physically hurt in the work place? What if the kid hurts them so bad they end up hospitalized?

So, adults should just tolerate being physically hurt in the work place? What if the kid hurts them so bad they end up hospitalized?

I see you didn't respond to me quoting you, so you ignored that teachers can restrain students. The child was restrained and discipline/behavior training was worked out by the staff and parents.

Arresting the kindergartener would have accomplished nothing. Well, evidently it would have made you feel better about yourself, but it would have done nothing for the staff, child or parents.

Not in certain districts. CPI training is only useable by certain school personnel. Teachers cannot use CPI unless they have been trained. Even then, they are extremely limited. I know of a case where a teacher broke up a fight and got suspended pending the outcome of the case because he touched the students while breaking up the fight.

I'm betting there's far more to the story than you're sharing.

Are there problems involving students behavior/actions in school? Yes. Is allowing teachers to essentially beat children the answer? No

People's personal anecdotes that kids in their 50 person rural school 60 years ago were better behaved than current large, inner city schools purely because teachers could spank are poppycock.

Ask my dad what East High was like in the 1950s, when teachers would spank students. It wasn't any different than these stories now. Well, other than kids didn't have easy access to guns so they didn't respond by shooting up the school.

• Haha
My wife is a child psychologist . She always recites studies, etc on how bad spanking is for children. I bite my tongue.

All of their studies, research and findings, yet somehow kids of today are .....well I think we know how they are. I get many variables go into a child's behavior, but for me, the threat of getting spanked kept me in check most of the time

A couple of weeks ago, my son was being disrespectful and talking back to us. When I tried to tell him that we don't talk back to adults, he turned his head to act like he wasn't listening. So I grabbed his chin lightly and turned his face to look him in the eyes and tell him, that it is not respectful to talk back to adults. She was pissed at me for like 2 days. For grabbing his chin lightly so I could turn his head to face me. Can't win

I see you didn't respond to me quoting you, so you ignored that teachers can restrain students. The child was restrained and discipline/behavior training was worked out by the staff and parents.

Arresting the kindergartener would have accomplished nothing. Well, evidently it would have made you feel better about yourself, but it would have done nothing for the staff, child or parents.
Ummmmm...."Not in certain districts. CPI training is only useable by certain school personnel. Teachers cannot use CPI unless they have been trained. Even then, they are extremely limited. I know of a case where a teacher broke up a fight and got suspended pending the outcome of the case because he touched the students while breaking up the fight." Teachers CANNOT restrain students UNLESS they have CPI training. Even then, it is allowed only in extreme cases. As far as arresting kindergartners, you are correct, It accomplishes nothing. In fact, most PD won't even do it since no DA will do anything.

Who said anything about allowing teachers to beat students? I am talking about restraining students to prevent them from hurting other people (students and staff), themselves, and/or destroying school property. For example, the law states that if a student is on the ground, they cannot be touched. A 1st grade student went onto the road near the school and every time car approached, he would lay down in the road. The school personnel were not allowed to touch him, since he was on the ground. Eventually the police had to be involved so they could move him.

The reality is our schools are falling apart. Kids run the place and the law does nothing to protect the vast majority of kids and adults.

Are there problems involving students behavior/actions in school? Yes. Is allowing teachers to essentially beat children the answer? No

People's personal anecdotes that kids in their 50 person rural school 60 years ago were better behaved than current large, inner city schools purely because teachers could spank are poppycock.

Ask my dad what East High was like in the 1950s, when teachers would spank students. It wasn't any different than these stories now. Well, other than kids didn't have easy access to guns so they didn't respond by shooting up the school.
Yeah, tha's just not true. Even in the early 60's you could order prety much any gun by mail. Gun control got stricter after 1968.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT