ADVERTISEMENT

Flash Flood Watch Central Iowa

h-hawk

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 29, 2002
An atmospheric pattern has formed that allows thunderstorms to reform over the same area and produce rainfall rates above 2.00” per hour; rainfall rates exceeding 3.00” per hour have been reported between Des Moines and Ames, with Flash Flood warnings from Carroll through northern Polk and southern Story counties. The area of the heaviest rainfall is currently moving east, along I-80. With these heavy downpours, driving can be hazardous with low visibility. The current modeling has the potential for additional areas of persistent thunderstorms to form in eastern Iowa.

Additional showers and thunderstorms are expected in two waves tomorrow, including the potential for stronger to severe thunderstorms in the late afternoon/evening time frame. Soaked top soil profiles and higher streamflows will increase the potential for flash flooding. Never drive through standing water on roadways. Please stay up-to-date via the NWS and local media. Attached is a Situation Report outlining rainfall totals and severe potential.

Yeah, the rolling hills completely surrounding us will make things interesting the next couple of days. Luckily we live on top of one of those hills.

• Wow
Reactions: h-hawk
tenor.gif

• Haha
Reactions: h-hawk
Of course I hope everyone stays safe but the wife and I are hoping this will refill many of the wetlands that have dried up over the past 2 years. From the description, this should really help 3 of the places we like to go.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT