ADVERTISEMENT

Fleck and Campbell (Recruiting vs. Iowa).

DEREKoh2

HR MVP
Jun 2, 2018
I've been watching the 24/7 weekly update on recruiting commits. Do these guys offer everybody in the country? Of all of the recruits that committed nationwide last week, 16 had Gopher offers (2 committed), and 14 had Cyclone offers (1 committed). I went back and looked at the entire list. I counted 4 Hawkeye offers, with one commitment (Padilla). Looks like Iowa takes more of a targeted approach. Should Iowa just start offering schollies like water? Seems like we are falling behind these two in recruiting.

I've been watching the 24/7 weekly update on recruiting commits. Do these guys offer everybody in the country? Of all of the recruits that committed nationwide last week, 16 had Gopher offers (2 committed), and 14 had Cyclone offers (1 committed). I went back and looked at the entire list. I counted 4 Hawkeye offers, with one commitment (Padilla). Looks like Iowa takes more of a targeted approach. Should Iowa just start offering schollies like water? Seems like we are falling behind these two in recruiting.
That’s not the Iowa way. They recruit players who fit the mold not everyone at 7/11.

Reactions: Harbinger273
This would be PJ and Matty's recruiting strategy

5671542.png

I apoligize for the things I have said to you. To say you are wrong for having your own thoughts would mean I dont feel everyone should be entitled to thier own beliefs and I am somehow above others view points. That's wrong of me. There is no fan on this board who has any greater or lesser importance. You offered a truce last night, if it is still on the table I accept. I do hope you find more positives when discussing the team and if you are in fact a troll it will come out in due time. That being said there are much bigger things in life than football and if this place is your go to for validation well.... your not the worst.

It does give you an insight into Iowa. They used Brandon Smith as an example. No big offers, but 40 TDs, 10 intercepts. Very good student, won't get in trouble. PPL backed away because of a measurable, speed. If you score 40 TDs, you have something. It looks like Iowa doesn't just focus on the measurables. They look at leadership and production. They can Doyle and coach the rest. Good podcast.

I apoligize for the things I have said to you. To say you are wrong for having your own thoughts would mean I dont feel everyone should be entitled to thier own beliefs and I am somehow above others view points. That's wrong of me. There is no fan on this board who has any greater or lesser importance. You offered a truce last night, if it is still on the table I accept. I do hope you find more positives when discussing the team and if you are in fact a troll it will come out in due time. That being said there are much bigger things in life than football and if this place is your go to for validation well.... your not the worst.

We are bros. My bad, not yours. My apology to you. I was the dick. Sorry. We are on the same team, that's all that counts!

My wife great i married up.

I knew that when I watched you guys exchange vows. That was a great moment in your life, and possibly mine. Does she still get ticked off at you for that one party we threw, where someone put a loaded Hawkeye Vodka bottle in your fresh water fish tank? And unruly guests who painted a pentagram on your living room carpet? Man, I owe you an apology for that. I'm into apologizing to everyone in this thread. If you need a good apology, even if I haven't hurt you. I will apologize. OK, my gofundme page is at savederekfromuglywomen. You can follow me on Pinterest, Twitter, Facebook, SnapChat, Myspace, Spotify, Tinder, Pure, Down, Feld and MyFitnessPal at #SaveDerek. Love you guys. Go Hawks!

Fleck is ELITE!

I will remind you again. You have no idea what is coming.

On the other hand, you sort of do know, but are in denial.

I knew that when I watched you guys exchange vows. That was a great moment in your life, and possibly mine. Does she still get ticked off at you for that one party we threw, where someone put a loaded Hawkeye Vodka bottle in your fresh water fish tank? And unruly guests who painted a pentagram on your living room carpet? Man, I owe you an apology for that. I'm into apologizing to everyone in this thread. If you need a good apology, even if I haven't hurt you. I will apologize. OK, my gofundme page is at savederekfromuglywomen. You can follow me on Pinterest, Twitter, Facebook, SnapChat, Myspace, Spotify, Tinder, Pure, Down, Feld and MyFitnessPal at #SaveDerek. Love you guys. Go Hawks!

She got over that in about two years.

[QUOTE="DEREKoh2, post: 5454344, member: Should Iowa just start offering schollies like water? Seems like we are falling behind these two in recruiting.[/QUOTE]

Is this a legit question or is this sarcasm? My meter isn't functioning yet today.

[QUOTE="DEREKoh2, post: 5454344, member: Should Iowa just start offering schollies like water? Seems like we are falling behind these two in recruiting.

Is this a legit question or is this sarcasm? My meter isn't functioning yet today.[/QUOTE]

It was a legit question.

Is this a legit question or is this sarcasm? My meter isn't functioning yet today.

It was a legit question.[/QUOTE]

So, you think we are falling behind ISWHO and Minny? What evidence do you see for that? Iowa's last three recruiting classes have all been better than either of those powerhouses. Iowa signed four 4* players last year. It was Ferentz's best class since 2005. Who are these can't miss first-round NFL pick players that Clown College and the elitist have been signing that have you concerned?

Reactions: hawkiniowacity
It was a legit question.

So, you think we are falling behind ISWHO and Minny? What evidence do you see for that? Iowa's last three recruiting classes have all been better than either of those powerhouses. Iowa signed four 4* players last year. It was Ferentz's best class since 2005. Who are these can't miss first-round NFL pick players that Clown College and the elitist have been signing that have you concerned?[/QUOTE]

I'm no Rodent Clown apologist, I was just posing the question. They are hunting with shotguns, we are hunting with a rifle. Why not cast a 'wide net' and then be 'choosy'. Both of these programs are starting to occupy our recruiting space.

Fleck will not be coaching there long term. He hasn't set the world on fire in recruiting yet either. The 3 main contenders in the West will be Iowa, Wisconsin and Nebraska, with occasionally NW, Purdue or Mn. Fleck is not the same caliber as PC, KF or SF.

Fleck will not be coaching there long term. He hasn't set the world on fire in recruiting yet either. The 3 main contenders in the West will be Iowa, Wisconsin and Nebraska, with occasionally NW, Purdue or Mn. Fleck is not the same caliber as PC, KF or SF.

You are probably right on Fleck. Regarding three Big Ten West contenders in 2018 I will go with Iowa, Wisconsin and Northwestern.

Fleck is ELITE!

I will remind you again. You have no idea what is coming.

On the other hand, you sort of do know, but are in denial.
Well, Fleck may certainly be an elite boat rower. He may certainly be an elite snake oil salesman, but we have seen no evidence of Fleck being an elite football coach. What part of having a career 54% W/L record makes him elite? Hell, if that makes Fleck elite we must have a super elite coach in Ferentz. Ferentz has a .59% W/L record in his 19 years at Iowa, and I don't think even you, Golden Toother could argue that 4 years of coaching in the MAC is tougher then 19 years in the BiG. Try again young Jedi. ;)

Coaching Record

4 Yrs Western Michigan 52 Games 30-22 .577 W/L%

2017 Minnesota 12 Games 5-7 0 .417 W/L%

5 Yrs Overall 64 Games 35-29 .547 W/L%

Last edited:
Reactions: DEREKoh2
Well, Fleck may certainly be an elite boat rower. He may certainly be an elite snake oil salesman, but we have seen no evidence of Fleck being an elite football coach. What part of having a career 54% W/L record makes him elite? Hell, if that makes Fleck elite we must have a super elite coach in Ferentz. Ferentz has a .59% W/L record in his 19 years at Iowa, and I don't think even you, Golden Toother could argue that 4 years of coaching in the MAC is tougher then 19 years in the BiG. Try again young Jedi. ;)

Coaching Record

4 Yrs Western Michigan 52 Games 30-22 .577 W/L%

2017 Minnesota 12 Games 5-7 0 .417 W/L%

5 Yrs Overall 64 Games 35-29 .547 W/L%

Ferentz has a career 57% winning percent

Fleck's is 54%

That is massive everyone.

Where can I get entertainment like this anywhere else. LMAO

So, how does that 54% make Fleck elite? I see you completely avoided my point. I would take Kirk's W/L % vs. the BIG any day over Flecks W/L % over the MAC.

Well, then you are flat out stupid.

Kirk against the big 10 is 86-68.............56%

Fleck against the MAC is 21-11.......66%

I don't know what the hell you are talking about but carry on. LMAO

I think flec is a good hire. But as trained traffic engineer camparing winning percentage in the mac to the big ten is not solid logic. Also iowa was not well stocked when kirk took over. Fleck took over a couple years afer jerry kills health problems. Fleck inherited more talent in his first year than kirk did.

Last edited:
I think flec is a good hire. But as trained traffic engineer camparing winning percentage in the mac to the big ten is not solid logic. Also iowa was not well stocked when kirk took over. Fleck took over a couple years afer jerry kills health problems. Fleck inherited more talent in his first year than kirk did.

What talent did Fleck inherit? Please detail this for me.

Thanks!

I wonder how much "love" coaches like Campbell and Fleck are able to show players when they are tossing out 200+ offers. It would be interesting to see if this Oprah Winfrey ('you get a car ... you get a car') approach really works ... It would appear when you offer that many kids you aren't really doing a ton of background checks on them (family life, friends, studies, etc).

The older I get, the more I appreciate Iowa's philosophy. Iowa brings in kids who are not just good players, but they are good people. Too many programs don't care a lot about what a kid does off the field or who he is as a person. If he wins me games then I'm signing him up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT