ADVERTISEMENT

Fleck and Minnesota.........

leading the B1G in football decommits up to this point. Another one today.

You'd think Iowa and the negative pub would be a factor, but apparently Fleck's high pressure tactics aren't being received so well.

Just wait until Irving switches to the Hawks.;)

I would not want my kid going to school in the hell hole known as Minneapolis, only going to get worse.

Yeah. I think he puts more scholie offers out there than anyone and recruits over the top. Not surprising to have lots of decommits.

Reactions: thewop
What is going on in Minneapolis is a total saftey concern. That is not meaning to be a political statement...

In no way do I have the same level of angst against PJ or the Gophers many here do.

However, if I had a son headed off to college now, football scholarship or not, I'd have a real tough time as a parent seeing my son go to Minneapolis to school right now. The unrest there, the radical city council that plans to defund the police department, no way in hell. The UM campus is not far from downtown.

Problematic for recruiting purposes.

He was the Gophers lowest rated recruit. The average ranking improved after he decommitted.

Yea and your best player last year was a lowly 2-star player named Antoine Winfield Jr.... imagine if he decommitted at the time.... "At least our average ranking improved" :rolleyes:

Reactions: MitchLL
Iowa fan for life and I’ve been living in Minneapolis for the past 6 years. Would never move back to Iowa!

I have family in MSP and it's one of my favorite "big cities". Makes sense how it's arranged, can get around pretty easy, great golf courses, but unbelievably stupid/bad drivers.
But the radial "political" situation would certainly cause me to nudge my kid in a different direction.

I lived in the Twin Cities for many years and it is far from a hell hole. It is actually in general a pretty great big city with endless offerings and a high quality of living if you have a family. I lived in many other big cities in my life - St. Louis, Phoenix, Indianapolis - as well as spent a lot of time in Chicago and Milwaukee over the years, and the Twin Cities is far superior to them. I am from Iowa originally and moved back to Iowa to get a little slower pace and away from the big city environment but if I were ever To move back to a metropolitan area, it would be the Twin Cities.

That being said, the college atmosphere and set-up for the University is junk and their fan base is fair weather and delusional.

The city is up for big changes if they disband their police dept which they are getting very close to doing. The sheriff's department has already said they will not go into the metro to help, which will leave the downtown and metro areas with no police protection at all. It may well look like a burned out hell hole in a couple of months. Neighborhoods are already forming their own armed security patrols to protect their homes and businesses. It's going to get interesting up there.

Reactions: CaboKP
I would not want my kid going to school in the hell hole known as Minneapolis, only going to get worse.

What is going on in Minneapolis is a total saftey concern. That is not meaning to be a political statement...

Lived here for 36 years. Crime was far worse in the 1990's than now. THAT was a hell hole.

However, if I had a son headed off to college now, football scholarship or not, I'd have a real tough time as a parent seeing my son go to Minneapolis to school right now.

The UMPD has completly severed ties with the MPD. The campus is safe.

The UM campus is not far from downtown.

The UM and Downtown might as well be on opposite ends of the state. If you're on campus there is no reason to go downtown and vise versa.

Reactions: rivalhawks
Iowa fan for life and I’ve been living in Minneapolis for the past 6 years. Would never move back to Iowa!

Been here about forty years, and would definitely move back to Iowa. Family will probably keep me here, but I'd return.

He was the Gophers lowest rated recruit. The average ranking improved after he decommitted.
Yeah, I figured that would be the excuse. The other one I expected to hear from you is they have higher rated guys they will replace him with.

What's your excuse for losing the other two kids? Regis was certainly a big loss.

And I expect Fleck will lose even more commits once on campus visits resume. Kids today are accepting offers as insurance until a better school come calling.

Yeah, I've always thought Minn/St. Paul were great. Not a hellhole that's for sure.

Big difference between "the area" and the city of Minneapolis specifically...and it's about to become even greater. Minneapolis has many good things (a terrific park system, it's a relatively clean city, great arts/music scene) but it's slipping fast. The last two Minneapolis mayors have been a complete joke, and the city council is even worse. Downtown is becoming increasingly unsafe after dark (not just this year, it's been trending) and real estate is about to take a big hit. As the tax base weakens, so will the city. Fixing the police force will help, downsizing or defunding it will result in Detroit West. Violent crime is already surging. With no enforcement, it'll only get worse.

re: Fleck. One has to wonder if this will nudge him to move on sooner than he might have otherwise. The big buyout goes away after this season.

Last edited:
As of March, according to an article on the other site, Fleck has averaged 7 decommits a year even when you exclude his first class right after he took over, not including 2021 recruits.

Several players over the years have talked about how Fleck pressured them to commit early or on their visit by saying if you don't your spot might not be available once you leave. It's well known he pressures kids to commit before they are potentially ready to.

Reactions: MitchLL
leading the B1G in football decommits up to this point. Another one today.

You'd think Iowa and the negative pub would be a factor, but apparently Fleck's high pressure tactics aren't being received so well.

Just wait until Irving switches to the Hawks.;)

Who was the decommit? I remember reading few weeks ago another Minny commit named Sam Jackson (no relation to Samuel L) flipped to Purdue because they are giving him a shot to play QB.

Also you mention leading the Big 10 in total decommits how many have they had?

Who was the decommit? I remember reading few weeks ago another Minny commit named Sam Jackson (no relation to Samuel L) flipped to Purdue because they are giving him a shot to play QB.

Also you mention leading the Big 10 in total decommits how many have they had?
This latest is Crumpley. That's at least the fourth, and I'd bet a farm, if I owned one, that there will be more. I think Fleck's schlick would get old after a while.

Last edited:
Reactions: iahawkeyes17
As of March, according to an article on the other site, Fleck has averaged 7 decommits a year even when you exclude his first class right after he took over, not including 2021 recruits.

Several players over the years have talked about how Fleck pressured them to commit early or on their visit by saying if you don't your spot might not be available once you leave. It's well known he pressures kids to commit before they are potentially ready to.
One of his early de-commits was none other than Irmir Smith-marsette. BTW, the MSP area is rated the second best metro area in the entire United States with ALL factors considered. Tops in health care, parks, golf, water recreation, air travel access, etc. Great place to live with all the diversity, cultures, etc. :D

This latest is Crumpley. That's at least the third, and I'd bet a farm, if I owned one, that there will be more. I think Fleck's schlick would get old after a while.

Thanks. I still remember reading an article about Brock the RB who went to ISU last year from IL and him talking about the pressure Fleck puts on kids to commit on their visits. No surprise they have multiple decommits every year.

My in-laws live in a suburb of the cities (Ham Lake) and they are freaking out right now. They live in a very nice home and are considering taking a huge loss just to get out of MN. He is from Blaine, 4 kids in school, all of his family are in MN and they are still considering it. If you want to go down a fun rabbit hole check out what 400k gets you in the cities today, 6 months ago those were 550-600k homes.

Lived here for 36 years. Crime was far worse in the 1990's than now. THAT was a hell hole.

The UMPD has completly severed ties with the MPD. The campus is safe.

The UM and Downtown might as well be on opposite ends of the state. If you're on campus there is no reason to go downtown and vise versa.

Check back with us after the police defunding happens and let's measure the crime there then.

Minneapolis is a place I have no interest in going to anymore. I think I saw on Mike Rowe's Dirtiest Jobs now that the Executive Director of the Minneapolis Tourist Bureau made the list.

For all the enjoyment that Gopher fans are experiencing over the fallout involving Doyle in IC... Minnesota definitely has their own problems.

It's just another reason that it's important to take things in perspective in today's world. These are messed up times.

And while I hate injecting politics in every discussion... Merica is a mess right now thanks to this WH.
You couldn't have just left the last part out? You had to be that guy? Nothing you added on the political side added more depth than "these are messed up times".

Take. The . Political. $hit. To. The. Off. Topic!

Reactions: RothMatt
You couldn't have just left the last part out? You had to be that guy? Nothing you added on the political side added more depth than "these are messed up times".

Take. The . Political. $hit. To. The. Off. Topic!
Fully one third of the responses in this thread are political. You should have read he "wrestling forum" last week.

Minneapolis WAS a great town. Now, the kinda cool stuff that made it nice for students has been burned.

q1fio.gif

My in-laws live in a suburb of the cities (Ham Lake) and they are freaking out right now. They live in a very nice home and are considering taking a huge loss just to get out of MN. He is from Blaine, 4 kids in school, all of his family are in MN and they are still considering it. If you want to go down a fun rabbit hole check out what 400k gets you in the cities today, 6 months ago those were 550-600k homes.

lol

https://ccxmedia.org/news/twin-cities-home-sales-set-price-record/

Reactions: owenhawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT