ADVERTISEMENT

Fleck and Minnesota.........

Reactions: RothMatt
It's clear to most that some recruits are using a Minny scholly offer as a stepping stone until something better comes along... or...committing just to get the Fleckster to stop bothering them.

The most glaring problem is some are even decommiting without ANY other option. Talk about running away from a program.:rolleyes:

It's funny reading the comments from some fans stating all this momentum, early on, to "Well, PJ has better options and has found someone he likes better".

Bottom line... It's still the Gophers.

My in-laws live in a suburb of the cities (Ham Lake) and they are freaking out right now. They live in a very nice home and are considering taking a huge loss just to get out of MN. He is from Blaine, 4 kids in school, all of his family are in MN and they are still considering it. If you want to go down a fun rabbit hole check out what 400k gets you in the cities today, 6 months ago those were 550-600k homes.

Ham Lake might as well be Monticello, Iowa. Most people in the Twin Cities wouldn't even consider Ham Lake a suburb. It is like an hour drive just to get to Minneapolis.

Reactions: rivalhawks

1. It's a seller's market in most cities with decent economies.

2. Note the phrase "Twin Cities". That's a 7 country metro area of 3M, or a 16 county area of 4 million depending on which SMA you use. Minneapolis is a city of 425,000 in the center of that. You're about to see a very different trend in the city of Minneapolis itself. Listings have already surged over the last month. Also, good luck getting affordable home owner's insurance with a neutered police force.

Thanks. I still remember reading an article about Brock the RB who went to ISU last year from IL and him talking about the pressure Fleck puts on kids to commit on their visits. No surprise they have multiple decommits every year.

Isn't it crazy that even with the very public "issues" the Hawkeye football is experiencing over the past few months, they STILL have less decommits then Minnesota?

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
Swing and a miss again. That article is 2 months old and has data from.even further back. (THINK ABOUT HOW YOUR VIEW OF THE TCs has changed since may) Instead of trying to justify your stance just take a look at zillow and notice the hundreds of homes that have been listed in the last 2 weeks.

wow can’t believe all the ppl who got their houses in shape to sell on a whim in the last 2 weeks post Floyd. I’m sure COVID shutting the market down for 3 months Mar Apr May and record low interest rates and record unemployment has nothing to do with the influx of listings now huh. But I got a friend in Ham Lake and Fox News to give me the truth about the twin cities real estate market. Lol. Do you or have you ever lived in the TC?

To stay on topic Fleck is a tool

Iowa fan for life and I’ve been living in Minneapolis for the past 6 years. Would never move back to Iowa!
To each their own, but I would never move to the Cities. Fun to visit, but at the end of the day I’m always glad to hear back to small town Iowa

Reactions: ObeseMuffins
Ham Lake might as well be Monticello, Iowa. Most people in the Twin Cities wouldn't even consider Ham Lake a suburb. It is like an hour drive just to get to Minneapolis.
I can hit a 5 iron to the Schwan's complex in Blaine from their front yard, does that make it better?

How bout this, people with options are getting the hell out.

wow can’t believe all the ppl who got their houses in shape to sell on a whim in the last 2 weeks post Floyd. I’m sure COVID shutting the market down for 3 months Mar Apr May and record low interest rates and record unemployment has nothing to do with the influx of listings now huh. But I got a friend in Ham Lake and Fox News to give me the truth about the twin cities real estate market. Lol. Do you or have you ever lived in the TC?

How would me living in the twin cities at anypoint in my life other than the last month and a half have any impact on knowledge of the housing market currently? (What a strawman)

Not sure where you are going with Fox News but number of listings on Zillow doesn't give 2 $hits about who someone votes for.

We definitely agree on Fleck being a tool.

I can't stand the winters in Des Moines - my son lives in a suburb of MSP and winter is at least 6 weeks longer taking the front end and the back end as an average. So weather alone - no thanks - but I'm old and the older you get the more you hate winter. Go Hawks!

Big difference between "the area" and the city of Minneapolis specifically...and it's about to become even greater. Minneapolis has many good things (a terrific park system, it's a relatively clean city, great arts/music scene) but it's slipping fast.The last two Minneapolis mayors have been a complete joke, and the city council is even worse. Downtown is becoming increasingly unsafe after dark (not just this year, it's been trending) and real estate is about to take a big hit. As the tax base weakens, so will the city. Fixing the police force will help, downsizing or defunding it will result in Detroit West. Violent crime is already surging. With no enforcement, it'll only get worse.

re: Fleck. One has to wonder if this will nudge him to move on sooner than he might have otherwise. The big buyout goes away after this season.

You are correct - the city of Minneapolis is a lot different then the rest of the Twin Cities. The great thing is that if you have a family, there are literally hundreds of other great options outside of the city. The options are neverending. We rarely went to downtown Minneapolis unless going to a Twins game or something of that nature. In fact, we much preferred going to St. Paul, which has continued to add entertainment options and is a lot less crowded.

I can hit a 5 iron to the Schwan's complex in Blaine from their front yard, does that make it better?

How bout this, people with options are getting the hell out.

It doesn't make it better or worse. Just telling you that most people in the Twin Cities wouldn't consider Ham Lake an actual part of the Twin Cities. It's like driving from Ames to the north side of Des Moines.

Many people come and go from that area all the time for a multitude of reasons. It's a large metropolitan area and that is bound to happen. You use one example as proof that people are clamoring to get out of the area. I have two people that I worked with for a number of years that are currently moving back to the Twin Cities - one from New York and one from the Kansas City area. And they DEFINITELY had other options since both of them are still working for the companies they were working for in those other locations and asked to move back to the Twin Cities.

To each their own, but I would never move to the Cities. Fun to visit, but at the end of the day I’m always glad to hear back to small town Iowa

I can understand this. Like I said, our family moved out of the Twin Cities to Iowa a few years ago to give our kids a slower pace and less hustle and bustle. It's all about what you are looking for.

As someone who has experienced large city and small town living in multiple locations, my opinion is you can't get much better then the Twin Cities from a metropolitan standpoint, especially if you have a family.

It doesn't make it better or worse. Just telling you that most people in the Twin Cities wouldn't consider Ham Lake an actual part of the Twin Cities. It's like driving from Ames to the north side of Des Moines.

Many people come and go from that area all the time for a multitude of reasons. It's a large metropolitan area and that is bound to happen. You use one example as proof that people are clamoring to get out of the area. I have two people that I worked with for a number of years that are currently moving back to the Twin Cities - one from New York and one from the Kansas City area. And they DEFINITELY had other options since both of them are still working for the companies they were working for in those other locations and asked to move back to the Twin Cities.
Your going to do whatever it takes to just not go to zillow.com and look at the hundreds of listings arnt you? Not sure why this is your hill but I dont care enough to continue. Minneapolis, specifically that 3rd precinct, is a great place to live. /barf

I can understand this. Like I said, our family moved out of the Twin Cities to Iowa a few years ago to give our kids a slower pace and less hustle and bustle. It's all about what you are looking for.

As someone who has experienced large city and small town living in multiple locations, my opinion is you can't get much better then the Twin Cities from a metropolitan standpoint, especially if you have a family.
You dated the girl when she was 18 and in good shape, she is 30 with a dead end job and a crack addiction now, she ain't the same bruh.

Actual image of said "30 year old"

screen-shot-2020-05-28-at-110607-pm.jpg

63fce5-20200530-floyd-protest-aftermath01.jpg

Your going to do whatever it takes to just not go to zillow.com and look at the hundreds of listings arnt you? Not sure why this is your hill but I dont care enough to continue. Minneapolis, specifically that 3rd precinct, is a great place to live. /barf

It's not my hill. Just pointing out your inaccuracies. It's ok to admit you might not know.

You are getting mad at anyone who doesn't agree with what you are saying. I never said downtown Minneapolis was a great place to live - it's not (unless you happen to like true urban living, which I don't). You sighted someone who lives 30+ minutes outside of Minneapolis in a quasi-suburb as your proof to back what you say.

Edina, Bloomington, Woodbury, Eden Prairie, Roseville - the actual first and second ring suburbs. People aren't clamoring to get out and most of those people have MANY opportunities to get out of the area if they want.

You want stats. Here you go. This is as of June 20. Since you don't care to respond, we can just leave it at this. There isn't much else to say.

What I see in the area is ... Listings and inventory decreased. Sales Prices increased. Days on the market is down. Buyers coming back quicker then sellers.

http://maar.stats.10kresearch.com/docs/wma/2020-06-20/x/report?src=page

The deterioration of Minneapolis is starting, not finished. The questions is, under its current radical left leadership, where will it be in 4 -5 years. And I would bet my paycheck it will be ugly.

1. It's a seller's market in most cities with decent economies.

2. Note the phrase "Twin Cities". That's a 7 country metro area of 3M, or a 16 county area of 4 million depending on which SMA you use. Minneapolis is a city of 425,000 in the center of that. You're about to see a very different trend in the city of Minneapolis itself. Listings have already surged over the last month. Also, good luck getting affordable home owner's insurance with a neutered police force.

I was responding to the guy saying prices have dropped 30% post Floyd in the “cities” $550-600K now worth $400K. That isn’t even close to being true. I can live/work anywhere I want and I am staying put. The only thing that would make me move would be the winters but I just make a point to travel south in the winter for extended periods of time. If I need my fill of rural redneck I’ll go back to Boji to the lake house for a while. Different strokes for different folks. All these “experts” who have never lived in the twin cities chiming in post Floyd make me lol.

Let’s wait and see what happens with “downtown mpls” I’ve lived here 20 years and have zero concern currently. I’m in the city but not downtown and just across the river into STP. Drove to Floyd memorial and along Lake Street last Sunday and it was as peaceful as could be. Ppl of all colors being friends and helping each other with music in the streets. Appeared pretty unifying to me.

I pretty much only visit downtown mpls if I am going to a game or concert. Not a big fan of just hanging out downtown anymore. Have several friends who live down there tho.

One of the best perks I like about it here is that I am 4 miles from the airport and haven’t connected on a domestic flight in 20 years. Non stop flights to Hawaii London Paris and Amsterdam as well.

The only thing sinking in the twin cities this fall will be Flecks boat hopefully.

Reactions: owenhawk
Interesting name. Why are you on this board?
He's trolling. Gotta love the silence from Gopher fans now that the defections are happening in the 2021 Gopher recruiting class.

It was kinda predictable given how Fleck doesn't appeal to the locals and he's gotta go long for recruits. All the local high school kids look elsewhere, or at least most do. I saw this coming three months ago when there weren't going to be campus visits allowed. Many families don't want to send their kids that far away during a pandemic.

And really, 2019 was a perfect storm for the Gophs with close wins in OOC and a downtrodden bowl game opponent. Minnesota will need to string 3-4 good years together to prove they're legit.

Reactions: Hawk fan in Minn
I live in the cities, the riots were scary and the bars have had to shut down because there is no police presence outside to stop eventual crime. A mugging of multiple men occurred outside 1 bar and 11 people were shot outside another. My friends car was stolen last night. Things are not great

Reactions: cobbj
I live in the cities, the riots were scary and the bars have had to shut down because there is no police presence outside to stop eventual crime. A mugging of multiple men occurred outside 1 bar and 11 people were shot outside another. My friends car was stolen last night. Things are not great
No no no. Some guy that lived in the cities a few years ago told me people in the cities love it.

Well when you have allegations of Rape on campus from the recent past I would imagine this was "kinda cool stuff that made it nice for students"

63fce5-20200530-floyd-protest-aftermath01.jpg

I'm pretty strongly anti riot/anti looting, but if anything deserved to be burned to the ground it was that precinct. A lot of you speaking out on the situation with police defunding/removal in Minneapolis clearly aren't familiar with the corruption, racism, and complete lack of accountability within that organization. I'm also not anti police by any means. Just anti crooked cops. More than 70% of the Minneapolis PD voted for Bob Kroll as union head. He's a dirty cop who cost the city a shitload of money in a discrimination lawsuit against the current chief of police who is black. He's in a racist motorcycle club (gang) and has a racist patch that he's been photographed wearing.

I don't think the solution to the world's problems is to not have police. But some of you commenting on the situation in Minneapolis are quite clearly unfamiliar with the reality of what's happening/happened.

With that said, I'll always cheer against P.J. Fleck and the goofers are fun to mock.

No no no. Some guy that lived in the cities a few years ago told me people in the cities love it.

For a number of years, the number of people hesitant to do downtown has grown. The Vikings, Twins and Wolves still draw (in that order)...but people generally eat drink before the game and get out afterwards. Same with concerts. We love to go see a show or a band at the State Theatre and will have a drink or bite before. But we head directly home afterwards.

When the club crowd takes over, things get a little more dicey. Sure, age is a component (50-somethings don't go clubbin') but there are many people who just say "No Thanks" to downtown Minneapolis.

Last edited:

Can't speak for Minnesota, but there are very few houses here....

I was in Minneapolis last weekend. Walked right up to the spot where George Floyd died. There was a very diverse crowd in the area. I am as about as Nordic as they come as far as body type and looks. Nobody gave me a second look as my wife (no pic of wife) and I walked around the area. I am sure after 3+ weeks tensions have cooled a bit, but we really didn’t feel uncomfortable at all. Now Fleck just being a DB is another story all together.

Last edited:
As of March, according to an article on the other site, Fleck has averaged 7 decommits a year even when you exclude his first class right after he took over, not including 2021 recruits.

Several players over the years have talked about how Fleck pressured them to commit early or on their visit by saying if you don't your spot might not be available once you leave. It's well known he pressures kids to commit before they are potentially ready to.
Including some kid named ISM? ;)

ADVERTISEMENT