ADVERTISEMENT

Flo Rankings

Hard sometimes to not get emotionally invested, but when you consider it's just some guys opinion, you realize that it's kind of just a joke.

Flo really needs to take a look at improving these and putting together some kind of structure to base these on. While they are not a serious organization like AP or USA Today, these rankings are used by other outlets, like BTN, as a measuring stick and present them as factual and real.

You might not be able to get coaches to vote on them on a weekly or even every other week basis, but 1 guys thoughts are probably not the way to go, especially when the mathematical equation is "gut feeling".

Also having the ranker get on twitter after posting them and asking people to tell him where he messed up, is not a good look and makes others, like BTN, look stupid for using them.

Time for Flo to take another step in the direction of becoming an ESPN type of organization by investing a little more thought in to a concrete process for these rankings.

If you like going strictly by formula I recommend WrestleStat.

The problem is rankings cannot be simply 100% objective and mathematical. Any formula should include some subjectivity. In all truthfulness it requires someone like the JB of old at Intermat that has personally watched a vast majority of the matches of those he ranked. You need to know how a score arrived at 7-6, vs a computer solely going of that 7-6 score.

With the above in mind, NO ranking system is perfect. But, the best ones are the ones that have someone spending the time collecting and analyzing as much data as possible.

Did you miss the match at big tens last year? Flip Marinelli and Cenzos seed in the NCAA bracket and Marinelli likely finishes higher and would thus be ranked higher currently.

Likely? Maybe. Maybe not. AM has shown he's not afraid to lose once or twice at NCAA's.

Marinelli isn't a closer, to this point. Cenzo is. The Bull has head to head wins but doesn't get it done when the lights are on (NCAA's). I'm not knocking on Alex. I hope he does win it this year. It's obvious that Cenzo should be ahead of him, based on last year's finish...or the year before that...or the year before that (when AM was in RS and Cenzo won a national title).

Only ranking which may be off slightly is young, but he realistically needs to be behind carr at this point so it makes sense. The rest look pretty accurate to me

Likely? Maybe. Maybe not. AM has shown he's not afraid to lose once or twice at NCAA's.

Marinelli isn't a closer, to this point. Cenzo is. The Bull has head to head wins but doesn't get it done when the lights are on (NCAA's). I'm not knocking on Alex. I hope he does win it this year. It's obvious that Cenzo should be ahead of him, based on last year's finish...or the year before that...or the year before that (when AM was in RS and Cenzo won a national title).

To be fair, the Bull hit Lewis early and gave him BY FAR his closest match. He would then only lose to the 3rd place finisher in Marsteller. VJo only saw one of those 2 guys at NCAA's and got mollywhopped.

The year before Marinelli drew IMar in the semis and gave him a competitive match before admittedly petering out against Wick and McFadden.

In years prior, I give credit to Joseph. He found a way to get it done. However, last season, the draws were NIGHT AND DAY.

Marinelli 2019:
7-4 over Joe Smith
12-4 over Thomas Bullard
loss 3-1 to Lewis
5-3 over Massa
loss 9-6 to Marsteller
9-3 over Steiert

Joseph 2019:
Fall over Evan Delong
8-4 over Conner Flynn
3-1OT over White
3-2 over Shields
loss 7-1 to Lewis

Intermat really likes us. They have us leading PSU 152.5-119.5 in tournament points. Individually, we're at 1, 1, 8, 3, 8, 2, 2, 14, 2 and 3.

Five finalists and nine AA's! That would be kind of amazing.

(PSU: UR, 4, 2, UR, 5, 1, 1, 9, UR, and 1. All 3 #1's are seniors BTW)

Last edited:
Hard sometimes to not get emotionally invested, but when you consider it's just some guys opinion, you realize that it's kind of just a joke.

Flo really needs to take a look at improving these and putting together some kind of structure to base these on. While they are not a serious organization like AP or USA Today, these rankings are used by other outlets, like BTN, as a measuring stick and present them as factual and real.

You might not be able to get coaches to vote on them on a weekly or even every other week basis, but 1 guys thoughts are probably not the way to go, especially when the mathematical equation is "gut feeling".

Also having the ranker get on twitter after posting them and asking people to tell him where he messed up, is not a good look and makes others, like BTN, look stupid for using them.

Time for Flo to take another step in the direction of becoming an ESPN type of organization by investing a little more thought in to a concrete process for these rankings.
AP & USA Today serious, yikes

AP & USA Today serious, yikes
Yeah, you must not be aware that these two organizations are responsible for a lot of sports polling/ rankings and their results have been commonly accepted as the standard ranking systems for college sports such as football and basketball for many many years.

Last edited:
With the above in mind, NO ranking system is perfect. But, the best ones are the ones that have someone spending the time collecting and analyzing as much data as possible.
Or ones that include multiple persons involved in wrestling that collectively have seen a lot or possess a lot of information on those being evaluated. Or any combination of these would be better than one guys opinion.

Reactions: TtotheL
Or ones that include multiple persons involved in wrestling that collectively have seen a lot or possess a lot of information on those being evaluated. Or any combination of these would be better than one guys opinion.

Sadly, there is a very key business component called Overhead. I could be wrong, but I don't think ANY of these wrestling outlets generate enough funding solely from rankings to pay a team of personnel to do so. Granted, you could rob from other resources to do so, but that isn't really a recommended business practice. Ask the government how borrowing from the social security fund worked out.................

Sadly, there is a very key business component called Overhead. I could be wrong, but I don't think ANY of these wrestling outlets generate enough funding solely from rankings to pay a team of personnel to do so. Granted, you could rob from other resources to do so, but that isn't really a recommended business practice. Ask the government how borrowing from the social security fund worked out.................
Lots of ways to do this without paying additional people.

ADVERTISEMENT