ADVERTISEMENT

Flofilm Metcalf

Thank Roy Hall for the Tom and Terry video! Before the Internet and back when Michigan wrestling barely went any where out of state, so many from MI had NO CLUE what wrestling was like out of state and especially College, let alone DI wrestling, for that matter. Lucky for them the Schlatters were in Ohio, so the super tight MI regulations let them hit a bit and they at least had Fargo.

Still, it was VERY telling how little he knew, or cared about Iowa when being recruited. He was simply Tom's guy. Be the coach to make me like that guy in the video and I am yours!

Reactions: Lsanders20
How much to subscribe to flo to watch these docs? Want to watch Metcalf and Terry with a few others

I can't believe how little this gets on here! The mat forums has 2 pages and an Iowa site has 5 posts and I am 2 of them? Does the fact that he is now coaching at ISU have that big of a negative impact on a guy that was huge in the resurgence of Iowa wrestling after Zalesky? Or am I missing something being several states away?

Reactions: SansSouci
I can't believe how little this gets on here! The mat forums has 2 pages and an Iowa site has 5 posts and I am 2 of them? Does the fact that he is now coaching at ISU have that big of a negative impact on a guy that was huge in the resurgence of Iowa wrestling after Zalesky? Or am I missing something being several states away?
Neither, I would think. It just came out on Wednesday and no one is going to disagree on the impact he and his recruiting class had at Iowa. I think it is just that fact that it has only been 2 days and most people will watch come this weekend when they have a little more time. The first episode (I actually just watched this afternoon...off work early) was great! Very much an intro episode and I think, most of it, is information we all already knew. His HS dominance, battles with Schlatter, his brother, and first going to Va Tech....so, not really much "new" and exciting "huh" moments.... I expect it to get better, but was off to a great start

Neither, I would think. It just came out on Wednesday and no one is going to disagree on the impact he and his recruiting class had at Iowa. I think it is just that fact that it has only been 2 days and most people will watch come this weekend when they have a little more time. The first episode (I actually just watched this afternoon...off work early) was great! Very much an intro episode and I think, most of it, is information we all already knew. His HS dominance, battles with Schlatter, his brother, and first going to Va Tech....so, not really much "new" and exciting "huh" moments.... I expect it to get better, but was off to a great start

I would be really surprised if most of you knew the story about Chase and/or the skateboarding(lighter side) and I would say that was actually a significant portion of the show. As much as I already knew about Chase, I still didn't have the inside perspective that was brought from Brent and Tom directly. It showed a much lighter side of Brent than most would have though possible by simply watching him wrestle!

I thought “Metcalf” episode 1 was really well done, maybe could have been a bit longer and told more about his brother and how they trained under coach Hall to become IOWA style before he knew what it was. Really excited for part two and for me, as one of my favorite Hawkeyes I am enjoying the insight tremendously.

Metcalf was an absolute beast on the mat. I love how he never stopped looking for a way to score. The clip of him plowing through Jordan Oliver with two seconds left in a match that he had already secured was, for me, a microcosm of what defined his mentality. He was Iowa style through and through. Episode one was great...episode two looks like it will be more focused on his move to Iowa City.

I know Flo gets a lot of flack on this forum but they have done a good job with their Hawk docs. Looking forward to the next two episodes.

Metcalf had his own brand and will forever be one of the greatest Hawkeyes in history in my mind. Mainly for the way he carried himself. Part 1 was amazing and I can't wait for the next one. I too just found the time to watch this as I also have lots of racing to watch on Flo as well and it is racing season. The value I have found in Flo is quite high especially if you follow several sports.

Dumb. Not every wrestler can stay and train/coach in Iowa City. There just isn’t enough room. What these guys did on the mat for us was great and they’ll always be Hawks.
Totally agree. Guys that put it all out there for our program should never have that taken away just because they need to find gainful employment.

While I may start to like guys like Tan Tom a little less because they coach a rival, I'll never forget what they gave us when they wore the black and gold.

I didn't like the way Ramos left, but for me that wound has healed. The Gilman situation is different in my mind. He had a spot here and abandon that to promote our rival, that is not easily forgiven for me. McD, Metcalf, JayBo, St. John... those guys were all studs for Iowa and all had to make a move to get into coaching. We can't keep them all.

Totally agree. Guys that put it all out there for our program should never have that taken away just because they need to find gainful employment.

While I may start to like guys like Tan Tom a little less because they coach a rival, I'll never forget what they gave us when they wore the black and gold.

I didn't like the way Ramos left, but for me that wound has healed. The Gilman situation is different in my mind. He had a spot here and abandon that to promote our rival, that is not easily forgiven for me. McD, Metcalf, JayBo, St. John... those guys were all studs for Iowa and all had to make a move to get into coaching. We can't keep them all.

Pretty much this...although I look at the Gilman thing in a different light. If we didn't have Spencer, Gilman would still be here. Gilman would have stayed here through Trials/Olympics if not for Covid. Also, his first choice was Campbell to be coached by Kolat and his brother in law Evans. They moved to Navy so he lands near his wife's home and the best, most well funded RTC in the country. Like a trade in professional sports, his professional allegiance is now with that organization which includes promoting it. Yup...it's like nails on a chalkboard to me as well but its not about being a Hawk or not; it's about being a professional.

I enjoyed the episode. My sense so far is that it offers some nice connective threads: I knew most of the major stuff (e.g., relationship with brother, time at VT, rivalry with Schlatter), but the interviews really bring depth to the lore and tie things together in a compelling way. I also personally like the 'dad' and family stuff--sort of a developmental view of the life of a wrestler (which we get from other documentaries too). A rich subject.

Dumb. Not every wrestler can stay and train/coach in Iowa City. There just isn’t enough room. What these guys did on the mat for us was great and they’ll always be Hawks.

That’s well understood, but I choose a side. Brent’s boss let it be known he thinks Tom is a pussy to my face and couldn’t sign my orange fast enough. I think as soon as you sign up with the man that calls Tom a pussy you choose your side.

I take the sport too seriously at times and also see the silliness in it. So eff metcalf, ramos and the special dude drinking kombucha with Zain in his ugly hat who’s time has past. He could be good partner if he didn’t mind getting handled.

That’s well understood, but I choose a side. Brent’s boss let it be known he thinks Tom is a pussy to my face and couldn’t sign my orange fast enough. I think as soon as you sign up with the man that calls Tom a pussy you choose your side.

I take the sport too seriously at times and also see the silliness in it. So eff metcalf, ramos and the special dude drinking kombucha with Zain in his ugly hat who’s time has past. He could be good partner if he didn’t mind getting handled.
How do you feel about the village people? Is the cowboy or the indian the one you hate the most? Sorry Sans, I just had to give you a hard time.

Pretty much this...although I look at the Gilman thing in a different light. If we didn't have Spencer, Gilman would still be here. Gilman would have stayed here through Trials/Olympics if not for Covid. Also, his first choice was Campbell to be coached by Kolat and his brother in law Evans. They moved to Navy so he lands near his wife's home and the best, most well funded RTC in the country. Like a trade in professional sports, his professional allegiance is now with that organization which includes promoting it. Yup...it's like nails on a chalkboard to me as well but its not about being a Hawk or not; it's about being a professional.
Gilman was recruited over.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT