ADVERTISEMENT

Flooring recommendations

Tenacious E

HR Legend
Dec 4, 2001
We are doing a remodel and were planning on keeping and extending our current flooring, which consists of ceramic planks in a gray wood look. Turns out the flooring has been discontinued. I am trying to see if we can source it from somewhere, but if our luck runs out we need a plan B. I am intrigued by these new "luxury vinyl" planks that are water proof, as they look almost exactly like what we have, but they are a lot cheaper. I am not interested in cheap "wood" flooring, and I don't think given everything else we are spending money on, going all in on high quality wood flooring. Anyone have thoughts on the the new vinyl planks/tiles, or other recs? If we go with the vinyl planks, can they be laid over what we have or do we need to have all of the ceramic planks chiseled out first?*

*edited to tag @DFSNOLE because I believe you a contractor.

Last edited:
I highly recommend having them.
giphy.gif

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
In my new house the previous owners laid vinyl planks over the existing hardwood with some additional sound proofing inbetween.

Reactions: NCHawk5
In my new house the previous owners laid vinyl planks over the existing hardwood with some additional sound proofing inbetween.
Do you like it? Is the hard vinyl/plastic like Pergo or is the softer vinyl? Our house had the hard Pergo when we bought it but replaced it with ceramic tile and then later ceramic planks. Not really interested in the hard Pergo, but I am interested in the newer vinyl planks.

We have LVP and like it. Just be careful with furniture, etc.. As it will leave dents if you don't pad properly. It was about 40% the cost of solid wood. One downside is you can't refinish it like wood but due to the cost you could probably redo the whole floor 10-15 later if you wanted and still come out ahead.

We have LVP and like it. Just be careful with furniture, etc.. As it will leave dents if you don't pad properly. It was about 40% the cost of solid wood. One downside is you can't refinish it like wood but due to the cost you could probably redo the whole floor 10-15 later if you wanted and still come out ahead.
Thanks wood isn't really on the table for the reasons noted above, and also because it will not only be in the kitchen, but in a 4 seasons room which leads to a pool and hot tub. We also have dogs that have wet paws when they come in from the rain. Lots of moisture happens where this flooring is going...

Vinyl plank is easy and seem to be rather durable so far (although some of the cheap stuff I've done has some seams pulling apart, the better stuff is still very good). If you're OK with the fake looking appearance then go ahead. Its 10 times the product laminate EVER has been. And don't break out your tile, you don't have to and you always have the option to revert! Plus if its tile and backer board you may be taking out as much as 3\4 of an inch and then you'll have a step down into your room as vinyl plank is only about an 1\8th to a 1\4.

My only hangup is that I don't like the appearance vs real wood or tile. But it is becoming wildly more acceptable. Certainly the easiest flooring I've ever done, and I've done MANY floors in my lifetime. I still prefer hardwood, but I renovate homes for a living so doing it myself is no big deal. Its getting harder however to even get decent wood since vinyl plank is becoming so prevalent.

Do you like it? Is the hard vinyl/plastic like Pergo or is the softer vinyl? Our house had the hard Pergo when we bought it but replaced it with ceramic tile and then later ceramic planks. Not really interested in the hard Pergo, but I am interested in the newer vinyl planks.

I don't know enough to be able to answer this question. I guess I would call ot hard, it is also textured and soft to the touch? I like it more than the vinyls I had on the past though.

I should have recommended peel and stick vinyl for the lols, dammit.

Reactions: Tenacious E
I just remodeled one of my bedrooms and had LVP floors installed. I highly recommend. Make sure to get one that is scratch-resistant with a thicker wear layer. If you go cheap, it may scratch easily and not be as durable.

Vinyl plank is easy and seem to be rather durable so far (although some of the cheap stuff I've done has some seams pulling apart, the better stuff is still very good). If you're OK with the fake looking appearance then go ahead. Its 10 times the product laminate EVER has been. And don't break out your tile, you don't have to and you always have the option to revert! Plus if its tile and backer board you may be taking out as much as 3\4 of an inch and then you'll have a step down into your room as vinyl plank is only about an 1\8th to a 1\4.

My only hangup is that I don't like the appearance vs real wood or tile. But it is becoming wildly more acceptable. Certainly the easiest flooring I've ever done, and I've done MANY floors in my lifetime. I still prefer hardwood, but I renovate homes for a living so doing it myself is no big deal. Its getting harder however to even get decent wood since vinyl plank is becoming so prevalent.
Thank you my man. Do you recommend flexible or rigid core planks? As indicated above, water and moisture will be a factor, so I think the rigid planks are the way to go. But you actually know what you are talking about so I thought I would ask.

I just remodeled one of my bedrooms and had LVP floors installed. I highly recommend. Make sure to get one that is scratch-resistant with a thicker wear layer. If you go cheap, it may scratch easily and not be as durable.
Do you mind linking the product you went with, or the brand/line?

I went with COREtec Cairo Oak in the house I’m building. Not complete yet, just ordered the material. Seems to be a quality product and I like the looks of it

We are doing a remodel and were planning on keeping and extending our current flooring, which consists of ceramic planks in a gray wood look. Turns out the flooring has been discontinued. I am trying to see if we can source it from somewhere, but if our luck runs out we need a plan B. I am intrigued by these new "luxury vinyl" planks that are water proof, as they look almost exactly like what we have, but they are a lot cheaper. I am not interested in cheap "wood" flooring, and I don't think given everything else we are spending money on, going all in on high quality wood flooring. Anyone have thoughts on the the new vinyl planks/tiles, or other recs? If we go with the vinyl planks, can they be laid over what we have or do we need to have all of the ceramic planks chiseled out first?*

I just put in luxury vinyl plank and we love it. Very easy to install

lots of YouTube videos

Luxury vinyl is nice. I installed a floor for my grandma and grandpa as well as a friend this year. They both love it and it looks great. It's a floating floor, so it could be laid just over the ceramic, but the new floor would need to match that height to do the whole floor.

Reactions: Moral

I would just go with what the guy your wife is boning/contractor suggests.

ADVERTISEMENT