ADVERTISEMENT

Florida’s Retirees Are Fleeing: Experts Predict These 5 States Will Be Top Retirement Spots in 10 Years

RicoSuave102954

HB Heisman
Jul 17, 2023
Montezuma, Iowa
As major Florida cities like Miami continue to grapple with the ever-increasing cost of living expenses, some retirees may question if it’s in their best financial interests to retire in Florida. This is especially true of individuals planning to retire in the next 10 years.

The “best” state to retire in does depend on your unique financial circumstances and needs. However, key considerations like the cost of living, taxes, housing expenses and the overall quality of life all matter to retirees.

If Florida isn’t on the table for retirement, those retiring in the next decade may consider the following five states as the next up-and-coming retirement hot spots.

Texas​

We knew Texas, already anticipated by experts to be a popular 2025 retirement destination, would receive an automatic inclusion in this roundup.

The Lone Star State is already popular with residents for not taxing Social Security or having any individual income taxes. Tax-friendliness aside, recent GOBankingRates data revealed at least 10 Texas cities are considered hidden gems for retirees. Frisco, El Paso and Plano all received mentions thanks to low monthly expenditures and crime rates.

New Hampshire​

According to a study conducted by Empower, New Hampshire has been ranked as one of the best states to retire in 2024.

While some benefits of retiring in New Hampshire may change between now and 2034, we think it’s safe to say the Granite State’s tax-friendly reputation will continue to be a big draw with retirees. Empower data revealed that New Hampshire has the lowest tax burden — at 5.06% — out of any U.S. state. And even though there’s a 5% tax imposed on investment income, the state of New Hampshire doesn’t tax Social Security benefits.

North Carolina​

Previously, GOBankingRates identified North Carolina as an up-and-coming state that will be popular with retirees in 2025.

One major reason why North Carolina is so attractive to retirees is housing costs. According to U.S. News & World Report, several major cities, including Charlotte and Raleigh, have median mortgage and rent costs that don’t exceed $1,500 a month. GOBankingRates also identified Raleigh as one of the hidden gem cities for retirees to check out if they’re interested in retiring in the South. Inexpensive housing aside, Vision Retirement highlighted North Carolina with lower property taxes than average and reasonably priced homeowners insurance.

Arkansas​

Arkansas is quickly positioning itself as one of the best states to retire if you’re on a fixed income.

In June 2024, GOBankingRates included Arkansas among the top states to retire to if you’re seeking out places where your retirement will cost under $50,000 yearly. The data indicated that Arkansas’s total annual cost of living is $43,865. This comes out to $3,655 a month, with retirees paying $547 in healthcare and $392 in grocery costs monthly.

Iowa​

Original research conducted by life insurance agency Choice Mutual cited Iowa as the best state for retirement in 2024 — and likely in the years to come.

Several factors pushed Iowa to the top of the heap, including the state’s outstanding healthcare system, low crime rates, affordable housing and low cost of living expenses. All these factors position Iowa as one of the best states to retire in because retirees can hold onto their retirement savings a little while longer.

GOBankingRates can attest to the accuracy of this ranking, having included Iowa in our roundup of the best states to retire on $50,000 annually. Retirees can anticipate spending around $400 in transportation costs and about $622 in healthcare expenses monthly, with the total monthly cost of living coming out to about $3,910.

Forward thinking decisive leadership by Governor Kim Reynolds and the Iowa Legislative members in recent years has pushed Iowa toward the top meccas in the U.S. for retirees to relocate to.

Have to laugh about the health care system. Now if it's in certain cities such as IC, I might be able to agree, but then again U I has a hard time keeping doctors anymore.

Ioway is perfect for out of shape old farts where legion bingo is the most exciting thing going on in their lives. Absolutely perfect. They’ll need to be careful about slipping on the ice and breaking their hips in the winter though.

Ioway is perfect for out of shape old farts where legion bingo is the most exciting thing going on in their lives. Absolutely perfect. They’ll need to be careful about slipping on the ice and breaking their hips in the winter though.
LOL - Dude, you live in Minnesota where the ice hangs around for 10 months a year. Nothing exciting happens in Minnesota except for the daily shootings in Little Mogadishu.

Iowa is clearly more forward thinking and better managed than Minnesota, your Governor is a deserter.

LOL - Dude, you live in Minnesota where the ice hangs around for 10 months a year. Nothing exciting happens in Minnesota except for the daily shootings in Little Mogadishu.

Iowa is clearly more forward thinking and better managed than Minnesota, your Governor is a deserter.

images

I live in Minnesota? News to me.

I gave you the attention you so desperately want from me and agreed with you that Ioway is perfect for old farts. I don’t think you can be satisfied.

Iowa?
Bullshit…. As long as there is December, January and February there is no reason fir retirees to live in Iowa…or of course unless retirees live shitty cold, icy weather… which I song think there is much of a demand. I know the OP is boasting Iowa’s no tax on SS and 401 k funds… but there is much more to life than tax breaks….If you wanna be a prisoner to the weather , Iowa might have something for you as a retiree.

Last edited:
Iowa?
Bullshit…. As long as there is December, January and February there is no reason fir retirees to live in Iowa…or of course unless retirees live shitty cold, icy weather… which I song think there is much of a demand. I know the OO is boasting Iowa’s ni tax on SS and 491 funds… but there is much not to life than tax breaks….If you wanna be a prisoner to the weather , Iowa might have something fir you as a retiree.
Here's another stupid poor who is forced to live in a place he hates because he's too dumb, fat, broke and lazy to move! Hell of a way to live...........🤣

Iowa?
Bullshit…. As long as there is December, January and February there is no reason fir retirees to live in Iowa…or of course unless retirees live shitty cold, icy weather… which I song think there is much of a demand. I know the OO is boasting Iowa’s ni tax on SS and 491 funds… but there is much not to life than tax breaks….If you wanna be a prisoner to the weather , Iowa might have something fir you as a retiree.
I worked outside for 42 years. If you don't have to work in it, those 10 - 20 miserable winter days, it's no big deal. Throw another log on the fire after I've sat outside in the hot tub for an hour...

If you don’t have a lot of money some of these dinky rural Iowa towns not close to metro area have cheap housing.

Many of these towns will have a bar to hangout at and a small 9 hole golf course. For a couple that saved nothing you could be comfortable on just social security. It sure beats being dirt poor in a metro area.

"Forward thinking decisive leadership by Governor Kim Reynolds and the Iowa Legislative members in recent years has pushed Iowa toward the top meccas in the U.S. for retirees to relocate to." 😍🥰😘

If you don’t have a lot of money some of these dinky rural Iowa towns not close to metro area have cheap housing.

Many of these towns will have a bar to hangout at and a small 9 hole golf course. For a couple that saved nothing you could be comfortable on just social security. It sure beats being dirt poor in a metro area.
Low crime is also huge for the elderly who have worked all their lives and just want to be safe and left alone! BONUS: In Iowa, if you have to put a thug down for trying to do great bodily harm to your elderly ass, the state has your back and NOT that of the felon/thug!

Iowa?

Iowa​

Original research conducted by life insurance agency Choice Mutual cited Iowa as the best state for retirement in 2024 — and likely in the years to come.

Several factors pushed Iowa to the top of the heap, including the state’s outstanding healthcare system, low crime rates, affordable housing and low cost of living expenses. All these factors position Iowa as one of the best states to retire in because retirees can hold onto their retirement savings a little while longer.

Iowa's motto should be live free die free, a 2nd Amendment sanctuary state. Is this Heaven? No it's Iowa.

Last edited:

Iowa​

Communists hate freedoms like these ^

Reactions: RicoSuave102954
Iowa?
You live in AZ right? You pay state income tax, right? And the summers are even hotter than Florida plus you have monsoon season. I love the scenery but AZ is not for everyone.

I think the bottom line here in Florida is that we have too many people moving here and the over development isn’t good for our environment. The traffic is horrendous. The State government is structured HISTORICALLY (nothing to do with current Governor) so that rapid and nimble adaptation to those factors is limited. It was built to be a low tax draw for retirees from out of state and we are suffering for it IMO.
I see episodes on HGTV of other states like Iowa and Minnesota and the neighborhoods and homes look nice. If you have family nearby and community attachments there’s nothing wrong with aging in place.

You live in AZ right? You pay state income tax, right? And the summers are even hotter than Florida plus you have monsoon season. I love the scenery but AZ is not for everyone.

I think the bottom line here in Florida is that we have too many people moving here and the over development isn’t good for our environment. The traffic is horrendous. The State government is structured HISTORICALLY (nothing to do with current Governor) so that rapid and nimble adaptation to those factors is limited. It was built to be a low tax draw for retirees from out of state and we are suffering for it IMO.
I see episodes on HGTV of other states like Iowa and Minnesota and the neighborhoods and homes look nice. If you have family nearby and community attachments there’s nothing wrong with aging in place.
When did I move to Az? I go there for a month or so in February because the Iowa weather sucks so bad then. I know many folks who live in”the valley” and yes, too many people and summers are a bitch. I have a couple of friends who live in Prescott and have for 30+…they think they died and moved to heaven after living 30+ in Iowa with Iowa’s shit winters and hot shitty humid summers. Nothing really wrong with Iowa as long as you understand the weather is seldom your friend… and there are some really Appalachia poor areas of Iowa… areas that seemingly time has passed by. Plus honestly, as a whole, Iowans can be a really stubborn hard headed lot. Good folks…..”Iowa nice” but really set in their ways. Listen and understand “Iowa Stubborn” from Meredith Wilson’s “The Music Man”… he nails Iowans to a “T”.

Reactions: goldmom
I worked outside for 42 years. If you don't have to work in it, those 10 - 20 miserable winter days, it's no big deal. Throw another log on the fire after I've sat outside in the hot tub for an hour...
You and I have different ideas about weather, James. The winter sucks 90 days and the summer is insufferable for 30 or so. I’m glad you love it…. I think it sucks. Neither of us is going to change our mind here.
I can’t think of anything more disgusting than a hot tub. To each their own. I do like my pool, though.

When did I move to Az? I go there for a month or so in February because the Iowa weather sucks so bad then. I know many folks who live in”the valley” and yes, too many people and summers are a bitch. I have a couple of friends who live in Prescott and have for 30+…they think they died and moved to heaven after living 30+ in Iowa with Iowa’s shit winters and hot shitty humid summers. Nothing really wrong with Iowa as long as you understand the weather is seldom your friend… and there are some really Appalachia poor areas of Iowa… areas that seemingly time has passed by. Plus honestly, as a whole, Iowans can be a really stubborn hard headed lot. Good folks…..”Iowa nice” but really set in their ways. Listen and understand “Iowa Stubborn” from Meredith Wilson’s “The Music Man”… he nails Iowans to a “T”.
Thanks for the clarification- you’re a snowbird then.
Every state has a place that could identify with Appalachia,

Thanks for the clarification- you’re a snowbird then.
Every state has a place that could identify with Appalachia,
Iowa has a bunch… there are 5-6 counties in Iowa that are growing and robust, there are 15-20 that are holding their own and the balance of the 99 are fighting like hell for their next breath. The Mississippi River towns have really fallen on hard times…the south two tiers of counties don’t have much to show case any more…population has been damn near stagnant for 70 years and Iowa has gone from 8 congressmen and 2 senators to 4 congressmen and 2 senators in my lifetime (75 years). In many ways, Iowa life is a shell of what it used to be. However…the weather is the same! It still sucks.

During the summer months you can't go outside after 10 am in AZ or you die from heat stress

Poor little dweeb! Is there anything weaker than being forced to live in a place you hate by your own useless incompetence and laziness? I sure as phuck wouldn't tell anyone! 🤣
200w.gif

Says the dumb phuck loser that spent all day, all weekend on the internet during an Ioway weekend with great weather and the state’s biggest sporting event happening. I suppose anywhere’s great when you’re a loser shit in, huh WarmUp?!

Lulz. Keep posting bitch boy. It’s all you’ve got.

As major Florida cities like Miami continue to grapple with the ever-increasing cost of living expenses, some retirees may question if it’s in their best financial interests to retire in Florida. This is especially true of individuals planning to retire in the next 10 years.

The “best” state to retire in does depend on your unique financial circumstances and needs. However, key considerations like the cost of living, taxes, housing expenses and the overall quality of life all matter to retirees.

If Florida isn’t on the table for retirement, those retiring in the next decade may consider the following five states as the next up-and-coming retirement hot spots.

Texas​

We knew Texas, already anticipated by experts to be a popular 2025 retirement destination, would receive an automatic inclusion in this roundup.

The Lone Star State is already popular with residents for not taxing Social Security or having any individual income taxes. Tax-friendliness aside, recent GOBankingRates data revealed at least 10 Texas cities are considered hidden gems for retirees. Frisco, El Paso and Plano all received mentions thanks to low monthly expenditures and crime rates.

New Hampshire​

According to a study conducted by Empower, New Hampshire has been ranked as one of the best states to retire in 2024.

While some benefits of retiring in New Hampshire may change between now and 2034, we think it’s safe to say the Granite State’s tax-friendly reputation will continue to be a big draw with retirees. Empower data revealed that New Hampshire has the lowest tax burden — at 5.06% — out of any U.S. state. And even though there’s a 5% tax imposed on investment income, the state of New Hampshire doesn’t tax Social Security benefits.

North Carolina​

Previously, GOBankingRates identified North Carolina as an up-and-coming state that will be popular with retirees in 2025.

One major reason why North Carolina is so attractive to retirees is housing costs. According to U.S. News & World Report, several major cities, including Charlotte and Raleigh, have median mortgage and rent costs that don’t exceed $1,500 a month. GOBankingRates also identified Raleigh as one of the hidden gem cities for retirees to check out if they’re interested in retiring in the South. Inexpensive housing aside, Vision Retirement highlighted North Carolina with lower property taxes than average and reasonably priced homeowners insurance.

Arkansas​

Arkansas is quickly positioning itself as one of the best states to retire if you’re on a fixed income.

In June 2024, GOBankingRates included Arkansas among the top states to retire to if you’re seeking out places where your retirement will cost under $50,000 yearly. The data indicated that Arkansas’s total annual cost of living is $43,865. This comes out to $3,655 a month, with retirees paying $547 in healthcare and $392 in grocery costs monthly.

Iowa​

GOBankingRates can attest to the accuracy of this ranking, having included Iowa in our roundup of the best states to retire on $50,000 annually. Retirees can anticipate spending around $400 in transportation costs and about $622 in healthcare expenses monthly, with the total monthly cost of living coming out to about $3,910.

Forward thinking decisive leadership by Governor Kim Reynolds and the Iowa Legislative members in recent years has pushed Iowa toward the top meccas in the U.S. for retirees to relocate to.
Any data to support this fleeing statement?

200w.gif

Says the dumb phuck loser that spent all day, all weekend on the internet during an Ioway weekend with great weather and the state’s biggest sporting event happening. I suppose anywhere’s great when you’re a loser shit in, huh WarmUp?!

Lulz. Keep posting bitch boy. It’s all you’ve got.
You do know you can now reach the internet on a cell phone, right, Dial-up? How was the game?!?! Did you spend most of your September welfare check to lick Cirt's boots from a corner endzone seat?! 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

You and I have different ideas about weather, James. The winter sucks 90 days and the summer is insufferable for 30 or so. I’m glad you love it…. I think it sucks. Neither of us is going to change our mind here.
I can’t think of anything more disgusting than a hot tub. To each their own. I do like my pool, though.
Always depends on the year in Iowa. This past winter it was really like 2 weeks of nasty weather/cold temps where seemingly 90% of the snow came (actually had good weather for girls state hoops 🤪)

Reactions: ButtersHawk

You really sound like a miserable person.

There's plenty of activities to do in the Iowa winter months, unless you're either lazy or otherwise just a malcontent.

200w.gif

8am and I’ve already got you in a tizzy. Don’t forget to take your meds bitch boy! Lulz. Owned.
Yawn........the tired, old, mindless shift to you kicking my ass from your dark basement. It comes like clockwork when you get all flustered. Lulz...owned...extend Cirt!!

200w.gif

Lulz. So worked up. Owned. Watch your blood pressure WarmUp! It’s bad for the heart when fatties get too excited!
What's that buzz word you've been indoctrinated with? "Projection?" Are you projecting, E-bike?! lol How was your BP when the clock hit 0:00 at Kinny on Saturday? Lulz...owned...

200w.gif

Careful princess fattie, you’re getting worked up. Such a bitch boy.

Lulz. Owned.
I can tell you're tiring, E-bike...no doubt a symptom of the massive disappointment you experienced on Saturday, and your ensuing attempt to wash it down with Coors Lite....such a man! Cheer up, Cirt Backer....he's still going to get us to a bowl game!!!!!!!! How can he not! RAH! 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT