ADVERTISEMENT

Florida Gov. Ron Desantis' office blasts NHL for 'discriminatory' job fair...

What exactly? You don’t think there is some anecdotal evidence of teachers over stepping their bounds in this area?
You already posted an article that didn't support the claim. Teachers are not teaching homosexuality in elementary school. Good Lord. Don't fall for that crap.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
What point are you trying to make with your “what if” question?

I’m asking a question about how employers overcome the issue of being non-discriminatory if they advertise openly and within Federal, state, and local guidelines, yet for whatever reason no minorities ever show up to apply for the job? Besides the trajectory of this thread (which has become personal) I wonder if it’s actually happened? Is that not a reasonable question?

It was a freakin' long time ago. About the time you were okay with Kelley Conway posting compromising photos of her daughter.

That’s a long long time ago and I hope you have more specific “evidence” because you are just throwing stuff out there. Get real or back off.

I think this stuff ultimately hurts him....might score some points with the base but long term it's a political negative.

I think you’re already beginning to see that. Bombast isn’t always better. But sometimes and in some situations - as in pushback - it works.
The trick is how to blend it with nuance and timing. 🤔

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
There's a lot of people in this thread with white fragility. No wonder the race baiting coming from DeSantis and the rest of the far right party in this country is so effective.
I’m curious about white fragility. Tell us more.

He’s definitely not the only one saying it. Dems are jumping all over saying Republicans want to take away SSI.
Think about it. He’s warning that if the system is not fixed it will run out of money. He’s not saying we should dump it. So what can be done to fix it?
Why is this so difficult to understand?

Because it's a call for reason, not patronage. The thought terrifies the left.

Reactions: goldmom
You already posted an article that didn't support the claim. Teachers are not teaching homosexuality in elementary school. Good Lord. Don't fall for that crap.
I don't think the focus is on homosexuality but rather "gender affirming care" and what that actually entails and whether "boys can be girls" and what not.

Last edited:
I think you’re already beginning to see that. Bombast isn’t always better. But sometimes and in some situations - as in pushback - it works.
The trick is how to blend it with nuance and timing. 🤔
Ron could use a dose of "nuance".....if he really does have national aspirations.

I don't the focus is on homosexuality but rather "gender affirming care" and whether "boys can be girls" an what not.
Where are teachers telling boys that's it's okay if they want to be a girl at age 6? This is just a boogeyman that Republicans have created, again, effectively, because here we are discussing it and people actually believe it. Just like killing babies at birth. It's ridiculous...but here we are.

Where are teachers telling boys that's it's okay if they want to be a girl at age 6? This is just a boogeyman that Republicans have created, again, effectively, because here we are discussing it and people actually believe it. Just like killing babies at birth. It's ridiculous...but here we are.
The article I linked does discuss what I think is the real issue.

How does a teacher or councilor handle a child that comes out as transgender to them. Do they automatically affirm that as is advocated by trans activists...do they notify the parents?....do they keep that between the child and teacher/councilor?

I think you have to notify the parents when we're talking about minors and there's certainly anecdotal evidence that that's not always been done.

The article I linked does discuss what I think is the real issue.

How does a teacher or councilor handle a child that comes out as transgender to them. Do they automatically affirm that as is advocated by trans activists...do they notify the parents?....do they keep that between the child and teacher/councilor?

I think you have to notify the parents when we're talking about minors and there's certainly anecdotal evidence that that's not always been done.
This I understand...but that's not the thought that's being pushed...that educators are teaching kids about homosexuality in their classrooms. Personally, and I am quite certain I teach a couple of boys who will be gay adults, I wouldn't discuss it with them at all, even if they brought it up to me.

I’m asking a question about how employers overcome the issue of being non-discriminatory if they advertise openly and within Federal, state, and local guidelines, yet for whatever reason no minorities ever show up to apply for the job? Besides the trajectory of this thread (which has become personal) I wonder if it’s actually happened? Is that not a reasonable question?
Happens all the time, but nothing wrong with it legally. Sourcing minority candidates is a problem for many companies. I assume that is one of the purposes of the NHL’s job fair.

You think it's reasonable to question whether or not minorities apply for jobs with NHL franchises? I think that is silly to the point of absurdity.

Reactions: Tom Paris
You think it's reasonable to question whether or not minorities apply for jobs with NHL franchises? I think that is silly to the point of absurdity.
Persons of all nationalities, races and ethnicities should be able to apply for any job they’re interested in if they think they have the required specs for the job. Period.

Why should the governor be involved in these type of decisions in the first place? What are his qualifications for deciding which investments are best? When did he become a fiduciary?
Who besides Filipkowski is confirming this? He’s making an accusation and not naming names.

You say this a lot. I would be curious what you think the remedy should be? I think you probably think there shouldn't be remedies and you're going to complain about all of them. Guarantee you're against social democracy. So what then? Look the other way and pretend things are right now? Everything plundered through 1960 was fair and square?
Do you think these groups have been shunned by hockey, or that they just aren’t interested in hockey

All professional leagues try to make inroads in new markets. This is nothing new.
I get that, I’m just saying I don’t think discrimination has as much to do with lack of diversity as certain groups are just less drawn to certain activities

This guest, the Dean of the Columbia Journalism School, spells it out - DeFelon will only harm Florida's state universities. Even better, he points out that Red Meat Ron is validating Critical Race Theory through his implementation of Critical Race Theory.

The comments about RMR validating Critical Race Theory start at 6:20

DeSantis culture war on U.S. history threatens to backfire on Florida higher education

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT