ADVERTISEMENT

Florida legislature passes bill repealing Disney’s special tax status

Suddenly corporations are bad according to republicans. Just reflecting some of the logic I see here.
You missed it. The point isn’t ‘corporations’, but legislatively granted special privileges that its competitors do not enjoy.

…perhaps the most important aspect of the special district is that none of Disney’s competitors enjoy a similar arrangement. At least one GOP legislator has noted this in defending the new bill, pointing out that Universal, SeaWorld, and Legoland have not been granted their own special districts. And these are just the existing competitors, who could muster up the capital necessary to compete with Disney on an uneven playing field designed to favor Disney. It’s impossible to know how many other entertainment venues and private owners might have also been able to compete in Orlando had Disney not sucked all the air out of the local market with its cronyist deal.

Consequently, Universal has operated at a disadvantage for its entire existence in Orlando. Unlike Disney, Universal must deal with local ordinances, local zoning laws, and can’t enjoy the benefits of tax-free bonds.

For example:
Reedy Creek’s control of its own zoning and building codes is the most important advantage Disney has among tourist destinations in Central Florida.
Take Universal Studios Florida, for example. Planning for USF began in the early 1980s, but it wasn’t until around 1986 that the plans for the park were officially announced. In what must have been a remarkable coincidence, Disney announced plans for their own movie-themed park in 1987.
But despite Universal having a sizable head start on Disney, Disney-MGM Studios (now Disney’s Hollywood Studios) opened first in 1989. Universal Studios Florida didn’t open its doors until 1990.

It’s possible, of course, that Disney’s plans proceeded more quickly than Universal’s due to better internal management. But it’s also quite plausible—even likely—that Disney was able to push through its development at a much faster speed than its competitors due to its special legal status.

Moreover, the situation for Disney in Florida applies to a single corporation. It’s not as if other private owners can access similar benefits simply by creating jobs or doing what Disney does. No, such benefits are reserved for Disney and Disney alone. Disney, of course, is fine with this arrangement and would surely lobby—and likely already has lobbied—to prevent any of its competitors from enjoying similar advantages.

Yup, it's really going to benefit Disney to dissolve the Reedy Creek Improvement District. I guess these loonies are cheering?
The screaming and yelling had nothing to do with the Disney vote and everything to do with congressional districts. Doesn’t make their actions correct, but let’s be honest about the protest reasons.

The screaming and yelling had nothing to do with the Disney vote and everything to do with congressional districts. Doesn’t make their actions correct, but let’s be honest about the protest reasons.
So was that some of the legislators hollering, or just random protestors?

The fact they are screaming and yelling during the passing of the bill makes it seems that is why they are screaming and yelling. Maybe they should have only been screaming and yelling during the passing of the congressional redistricting bill.

The fact they are screaming and yelling during the passing of the bill makes it seems that is why they are screaming and yelling. Maybe they should have only been screaming and yelling during the passing of the congressional redistricting bill.
They were screaming and yelling during all of them because they were angry that the Republicans entered these bills, didn't allow any study or even debate on them, and then went straight to a vote. Democrats already have little power in the legislature thanks to extremely gerrymandered districts, but at least they've been able to debate and hopefully get a chance to sway public opinion. In this area, Republicans are showing, they don't really care about the process. Democrats have no power, so all they had left was to scream loudly in objection to voting on things no one could discuss or research.

They were screaming and yelling during all of them because they were angry that the Republicans entered these bills, didn't allow any study or even debate on them, and then went straight to a vote. Democrats already have little power in the legislature thanks to extremely gerrymandered districts, but at least they've been able to debate and hopefully get a chance to sway public opinion. In this area, Republicans are showing, they don't really care about the process. Democrats have no power, so all they had left was to scream loudly in objection to voting on things no one could discuss or research.
Debate closed on the maps for Dems (the majority and minority leaders agreed to a time limit). Some Dems wanted more time on the maps. Thus the protest. When Dems continued protesting, the Speaker called the vote on all the bills. Really, they should not only be upset with the bills, but their party leadership for agreeing to a time limited debate.

Debate closed on the maps for Dems (the majority and minority leaders agreed to a time limit). Some Dems wanted more time on the maps. Thus the protest. When Dems continued protesting, the Speaker called the vote on all the bills. Really, they should not only be upset with the bills, but their party leadership for agreeing to a time limited debate.
The Democratic Party in Florida being dysfunctional? No freaking way!

So, The Villages are good, right? They get to keep their special status?
Weird that the law picked the date it did to go after special districts like Reedy Creek. I wonder if that will come up in any potential legal action? Or, the fundraising tweet DeSantis put out today? Or, the apparent attempt to punish speech?
Of course it’s good since The Villages is mostly Republican.
I guess Disney will go back to paying their fair share.
The special district did not mean that Disney paid less taxes or got any special breaks, they just had more control on how the money was spent. Honestly, this won’t impact Disney at all from a financial standpoint, it will just take longer for permits to get approved. Actually, it will probably lower taxes for Disney since they paid a premium to have full control over their roads and emergency response.

Disney is building a new exit off I4 that goes directly to the Disney Springs area…going to be fun to see how much that will now cost the state and local county.

Of course it’s good since The Villages is mostly Republican.

The special district did not mean that Disney paid less taxes or got any special breaks, they just had more control on how the money was spent. Honestly, this won’t impact Disney at all from a financial standpoint, it will just take longer for permits to get approved. Actually, it will probably lower taxes for Disney since they paid a premium to have full control over their roads and emergency response.

Disney is building a new exit off I4 that goes directly to the Disney Springs area…going to be fun to see how much that will now cost the state and local county.
Disney will pay the same taxes they have been. But, the Reedy Creek services that Disney pays for will transfer to the county along with a whole bunch of debt. Some of the lawyers have said that Orange and Osceola counties will have as much as a 25% property tax increase next June to cover the operating costs of police, fire, etc. and debt service that Disney formally paid. Also, because of how Florida law is, those counties could now be on the hook for up to 1 billion in bond debt that transfers from Disney. This is for roads, utilities, etc that were originally Disney projects.

Last edited:
There are some very good public policy reasons for sunsetting these sorts of special tax districts. The one invoked here isn't one of them.
Disagree.
When they decided to throw down resources from a corporate level to fight a bill that passed with 70% approval and nearly that polling approval it became a political battle.

• Haha
Reactions: DFSNOLE
That's not a link.
Really.
Thanks captain.
Do your own searching.
People -especially parents in fla once asked about the real content of the bill (not the don’t say gay bullshit) are in favor of the bill by a large majority.
The state house voted by a large majority for it. They are up for reelection - how do you think the ones who voted for it will do?
If Disney had just kept quite it would have saved it’s shareholders alot of $$.

• Haha
Reactions: DFSNOLE and NCHawk5
Really.
Thanks captain.
Do your own searching.
People -especially parents in fla once asked about the real content of the bill (not the don’t say gay bullshit) are in favor of the bill by a large majority.
The state house voted by a large majority for it. They are up for reelection - how do you think the ones who voted for it will do?
If Disney had just kept quite it would have saved it’s shareholders alot of $$.
So you can't post anything to support your claim. Got it. The House voted along party lines you idiot.

Do you have to think to breathe?

Reactions: lucas80
So you can't post anything to support your claim. Got it. The House voted along party lines you idiot.

Conservatives seem to have a hard time providing links to back up the shit they spew out, then fall back on the old “do your research” schtick.

im going through the same thing with the pedo Chode right now. (I dont need to provide proof Chode is a pedo, just do your research)

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Conservatives seem to have a hard time providing links to back up the shit they spew out, then fall back on the old “do your research” schtick.

im going through the same thing with the pedo Chode right now. (I dont need to provide proof Chode is a pedo, just do your research)
That’s rich coming from a convicted felon like yourself.

If you want to know why fla is turning ruby red it because of the anti-loon factor.
Both the education bill and the disney bill were no brainers.
Thankfully those who voted for it and more non loons will sweep to another sweep this november. I won’t link then either. Deal with it.

If you want to know why fla is turning ruby red it because of the anti-loon factor.
Both the education bill and the disney bill were no brainers.
Thankfully those who voted for it and more non loons will sweep to another sweep this november. I won’t link then either. Deal with it.
Still have nothing but a lot of blabbering. Typical.

FQ_2VpmVsAETITm

Disagree.
When they decided to throw down resources from a corporate level to fight a bill that passed with 70% approval and nearly that polling approval it became a political battle.
Here is something I have been struggling to find. What resources did they throw down? All I have seen is a really benign quote that they don’t support it.

And what difference does the approval have to do with anything? Our Country’s majority has always approved of things that were awful and we change our mind on which is made possible by open discussion.

It’s all just incredibly weird. I have zero opinion on the school law, believe taking away the preferential status seems reasonable (if well planned), and yet find what the GOP did really frightening.

If I were Disney I would be acting like an abused spouse… show up with bruises, be afraid to talk about them, share support for the decision… (I really don’t mean to make light of domestic abuse but I really like the idea and couldn’t come up with a better metaphor)

Reactions: cigaretteman
Here is something I have been struggling to find. What resources did they throw down? All I have seen is a really benign quote that they don’t support it.

And what difference does the approval have to do with anything? Our Country’s majority has always approved of things that were awful and we change our mind on which is made possible by open discussion.

It’s all just incredibly weird. I have zero opinion on the school law, believe taking away the preferential status seems reasonable (if well planned), and yet find what the GOP did really frightening.

If I were Disney I would be acting like an abused spouse… show up with bruises, be afraid to talk about them, share support for the decision… (I really don’t mean to make light of domestic abuse but I really like the idea and couldn’t come up with a better metaphor)
Besides saying they were going to support groups who would work to repeal the law? that signals $$$

To be honest, I always thought "Disney Gay Days" (yes, that's really a thing) was completely incongruous with Disney's "family friendly" brand.

• Haha
Reactions: tumorboy
Besides saying they were going to support groups who would work to repeal the law? that signals $$$

You said “ When they decided to throw down resources from a corporate level to fight a bill”.

Now it’s their intended support… for groups that literally (and legally) exist to advocate for this purpose… and this makes political retribution ok?

This is nuts and weird and I’m just so confused… the idea that this is an appropriate response to “woke” culture is absurd

No, that’s the mixed economy we enjoy today. e.g. politicians craft tax breaks for union companies that non union ones don’t get.
That sort of political favoritism and thumb on the scale is not the market operating freely.
So why not end it at any point in the last 55 years?

You're post is complete bs because it's looking for a justification. This was done for one thing and one thing only, because they said we don't like your law.

Your post is just stupid trying to paint it as anything but.

ADVERTISEMENT