ADVERTISEMENT

Florida pool contractor gets 30 years for scamming homeowners....

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WFLA) — A Florida man was sentenced to 30 years in prison for operating a multimillion-dollar contracting scheme, Attorney General Ashley Moody announced.

Brian Washburn, the owner of Amore Pools Inc. defrauded Florida homeowners by taking upfront payments and deposits, Moody said. He would also leave dangerous debris piles and gaping holes in victims’ backyards.

“This fraudster will spend decades in prison for stealing millions of dollars from Floridians who made huge down payments to have pools built on their properties,” Moody said. “He took their money, dug massive holes in their yards, then ran from his contractual obligations to complete the work, but he didn’t get far before the law caught up with him. Now, thanks to my Statewide Prosecutors, he will spend a long time behind bars thinking about his terrible crimes.”

Investigators said Washburn persuaded homeowners in Brevard, Indian River, Martin, Okeechobee, Palm Beach and St. Lucie counties to sign contracts to build pools. He promised low prices and quick, professional work.

Once Washburn received a deposit, investigators said his company would sometimes abandon the project before work began. In other cases, Washburn dug massive holes in the homeowner’s backyards and left piles of debris around the project site.

Moody said the company did not complete a majority of the projects.

Washburn attempted to cover up the fraud by using a third-party check cashing store to convert the deposits into cash.

Washburn was sentenced to 30 years in prison on nine felony accounts, one count of organized scheme to defraud, two counts of money laundering of more than $100,000 and six counts of fraudulent use of personal identification information.

The judge also ordered Washburn to pay $3 million in restitution for the victims of the pool fraud scheme.

Washburn’s wife and co-conspirator, Chyrstal Washburn, remains in custody at the Indian River County Jail. Her charges are pending.

I’m ok with upfront deposit, as contractor has risk as well of not being paid. However I do my homework on a contractor through friends and/or neighbors that have used them, time in business, size of company, online and BBB reviews.
I thought it wasn't that hard for them to get a lien on the property if not paid.

Reactions: goldmom
I’m ok with upfront deposit, as contractor has risk as well of not being paid. However I do my homework on a contractor through friends and/or neighbors that have used them, time in business, size of company, online and BBB reviews.
It sounds like he was doing this for years. I’m not blaming the victims. The criminal is the one to blame, but a cursory on line check most likely would have raised some red flags.

I thought it wasn't that hard for them to get a lien on the property if not paid.
I’m not sure how hard it is to get a lien, but I imagine it’s a hassle. I could just imagine being an unpaid Trump contractor and trying to get a lien on Mara Lago.

All I’m saying is contractor has risk as well, and upfront labor and material costs. Never been a big deal to me if a reputable company with a reputation and quality work. I wouldn’t have hired that pool company if I’d done research in them.

Reactions: seminole97
Every agreement with a contractor in Florida comes with a notice that the contractor can put a lien on your home if you don’t pay up. You as the homeowner have to sign off on this. You also have 48 hour right of recision to cancel.
If it’s a roof that your insurance is covering you let them worry about it with “progress payments” or draws. If you finance a pool you can do a similar thing with the finance company.
If it’s a fence or any home improvement for that matter, you can find out where the contractor gets his materials and make sure you get them delivered to your house and you can also pay them directly-because if a contractor does not pay them, they can also file a lien on your property for the unpaid materials.

Reactions: VodkaSam
Which is why lien waivers are also an important part of the contractor/client payment process..

Reactions: VodkaSam
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT