ADVERTISEMENT

Florida QB recruit leaves after 8 million $ NIL deal falls through

"get big, or get out". Secretary of Agricultural, Earl Butz (Richard Nixon) circa 1973.

I can see having a ton of issues with things the NCAA does. But, blaming the NCAA for the current mess that is NIL is laughable. They repeatedly warned it would be like this at every single hearing until it was approved. Now, they are taking an "I told you so" approach and I don't blame them one bit.

The NCAA didn't want to be involved in this mess at all and they certainly don't want to be in charge of policing it. As a result, they are waiting for it to truly implode. After that, they still won't do anything until the powers that be, meaning those who made it happen in the first place, essentially come to them begging for a fix. Until that happens, the Wild West is what it is and how it will stay...

This is, like, definitionally what somebody is worth. It's literally whatever somebody is willing to pay. That's the Free Market.
It is and it isn't. Tuff trying to explain, but it is like free market with big brother watching over you setting the rules. As I said, Budweiser can not step in and go to a big football school and make a ridiculous offer. Put BUD on the jerseys etc....

The NCAA is a controlled environment in other words and if you really look into it. As much as we want to say we have free market. Many rules and regulations are in place that prevent it from being truly free. Some of it is needed do to scumbags who would exploit any means necessary to make a dollar!

Just think if you could hand out VAP products to school kids. Here though we have college sports with recruiting rules and allotted scholarships. Then you have NIL, so why not eliminate all the recruiting rules and scholarship limits? Why can't coaches go to HS freshman and offer them a full ride, but a wealth donor in theory could!?!??!

Reactions: el dub
I can see having a ton of issues with things the NCAA does. But, blaming the NCAA for the current mess that is NIL is laughable. They repeatedly warned it would be like this at every single hearing until it was approved. Now, they are taking an "I told you so" approach and I don't blame them one bit.

The NCAA didn't want to be involved in this mess at all and they certainly don't want to be in charge of policing it. As a result, they are waiting for it to truly implode. After that, they still won't do anything until the powers that be, meaning those who made it happen in the first place, essentially come to them begging for a fix. Until that happens, the Wild West is what it is and how it will stay...
I retort. The NCAA has their DNA all over this bad behavior. Please note the NCAA voted, of its own accord, to allow/permit student athletes to receive compensation in exchange for the use of their name, image and likeness. The NCAA did so in order to avoid further litigation relating to copious violation(s) of the Sherman Act (antitrust law).

For a brief and concise primer, please see case law: O’Bannon v. National Collegiate Athletic Association; Alston v. NCAA.

Also take note of the case currently making its way through the court system, watch closely; Johnson v. National Collegiate Athletic Association. This case is in the crosshairs of many NCAA officials as it relates to athletes being employees of their respective schools. A view strongly supported by the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB).

I retort. The NCAA has their DNA all over this bad behavior. Please note the NCAA voted, of its own accord, to allow/permit student athletes to receive compensation in exchange for the use of their name, image and likeness. The NCAA did so in order to avoid further litigation relating to copious violation(s) of the Sherman Act (antitrust law).

For a brief and concise primer, please see case law: O’Bannon v. National Collegiate Athletic Association; Alston v. NCAA.

Also take note of the case currently making its way through the court system, watch closely; Johnson v. National Collegiate Athletic Association. This case is in the crosshairs of many NCAA officials as it relates to athletes being employees of their respective schools. A view strongly supported by the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB).
Well thought out retort. However, it doesn't change ANYTHING I said. In no way did they want to allow/permit student athletes to receive compensation regarding NIL. You do NOT do something of you own accord, when you are doing it to avoid further litigation. In no way was it voluntary when you are doing it under duress.

The simple truth is you are arguing that it should have been allowed and it was the NCAA's fault it wasn't already allowed. I don't really care about that and it really has nothing to do with the NCAA's current stance on NIL nor why it is the Wild West. My entire point is the NCAA knew it would be this messy if it became legal and they want NOTHING to do with it now that it is. Again, I honestly do not blame them.

The NCAA is not equipped to police this and I don't think they ever will be. As far as the "employees" of the University thing goes, that truly has nothing to do with the NCAA and would basically eliminate the NCAA altogether if it becomes law. This argument, even if it becomes law, is truly only about each individual university and how they deal with their student athletes. If the case endorses student athletes as actual employees, collegiate sports as we know it will implode.

Last edited:
Reactions: lookleft goright
Well thought out retort. However, it doesn't change ANYTHING I said. In no way did they want to allow/permit student athletes to receive compensation regarding NIL. You do NOT do something of you own accord, when you are doing it to avoid further litigation. In no way was it voluntary when you are doing it under duress.

The simple truth is you are arguing that it should have been allowed and it was the NCAA's fault it wasn't already allowed....
'Sophie's Choice'. Currently a real dilemma of the NCAA's own making.

See the case law noted in my remarks above. The NCAA's failure to pursue the most ethnically preferable course(s) of action has brought them this point. Namely, NIL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT