ADVERTISEMENT

Florida rescinds scholarship offer to four-star QB because he rapped along with a rap song...

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
The University of Florida has decided to rescind its scholarship offer from 4-star quarterback Marcus Stokes after a video surfaced of Ponte Vedra Beach Nease senior saying the N-word while reciting a rap song, according to CBS News.

“I deeply apologize for the words in the song that I chose to say. It was hurtful and offensive to many people, and I regret that,” Stokes wrote. “I fully accept the consequences of my actions and respect the University of Florida’s decision to withdraw my scholarship offer to play football.”

“I was in my car listening to rap music, rapping along to the words, and posted a video on social media. I deeply apologize for the words in the song that I chose to say. It was hurtful and offensive to many people, and I regret that.”

“My intention was never to hurt anybody, and I recognize that even when going along with a song, my words still carry a lot of weight. I will strive to be better and become the best version of myself on and off the field. I know that learning from my mistakes is the first important step.”

Why you would record yourself doing this, I have no idea. Some people may also attribute this to a young person making mistakes. However, saying the N-word as a white person goes into another territory. Stokes had initially committed to Penn State before changing his mind and switching to the Florida Gators in July.

I hope there is more context to this story. Like maybe he's just not that good and Florida needed an excuse to pull his offer and this was it?

I can't see many people being upset about a young white person rapping along in a song and dropping the "N" word, including the African-American community. Sure, there will by an outcry by the woke folk, but that's a pretty easy storm to weather. I hope we don't get to the point where we are punishing kids for making small mistakes likes this.

There's rumors that there are other videos floating around that are much worse should they go public.

I hope there is more context to this story. Like maybe he's just not that good and Florida needed an excuse to pull his offer and this was it?

I can't see many people being upset about a young white person rapping along in a song and dropping the "N" word, including the African-American community. Sure, there will by an outcry by the woke folk, but that's a pretty easy storm to weather. I hope we don't get to the point where we are punishing kids for making small mistakes likes this.

If you're white you need to keep that word out of your mouth, whether you're singing a song or not

White kid using the n word on social media. What more does their need to be. Yes even if rapping along with a song. It isn't a good look because he is white. Like the double standard or not. It is what it is.
Which is dumb. Context people. I remember reading Adventures of Huck Finn aloud in class and can’t imagine getting vilified for a recording of me reading the N-word aloud.

If you're white you need to keep that word out of your mouth, whether you're singing a song or not
I agree with this 100%, but I don't agree that a kid should have to face life altering consequences because he said the N word while rapping along to a song.

If it's true it's much worse than just a N word drop like someone above said, then yes, he should face the consequences.

Like @IowaPackFan said, I can't imagine being vilified for being recorded saying the N word while reading a book like Huck Finn aloud in class.

Reactions: KFsdisciple
White kid using the n word on social media. What more does their need to be. Yes even if rapping along with a song. It isn't a good look because he is white. Like the double standard or not. It is what it is.
I go back to the harm associated with the action. Of which there was basically none with this -- it was all "rule breaking." Which I don't care much about with speech. I care about not using speech (at times) that is hurtful to other people.

If he was using the word to hurt people, to express disdainful views of a race, that's a totally different story.

But he obviously wasn't... so it's like... meh. And really, the story here is the story -- not people being hurt in any way.

So to me it's a relative non-story.

Reactions: KFsdisciple
Which is dumb. Context people. I remember reading Adventures of Huck Finn aloud in class and can’t imagine getting vilified for a recording of me reading the N-word aloud.
I read Storm Warriors and subbed "n-word" every time. I wasn't going to use that term in front of my middle school inner-city kids and I told them so.

Great - true - story by the way. There was an all-black United States life-saving station (the precursor to the Coast Guard) on the Outer Banks of NC. A ship ran aground in 1896 during a raging hurricane and they couldn't use their standard rescue gear. Sooooo...they lashed themselves together and swam out into the raging surf and rescued the captain, his wife, and their child. Their heroics were never acknowledged - except by the captain of the ship - and it was almost forgotten until a middle school student discovered the story almost a century later and began campaigning for them to get their due. They were eventually awarded the Coast Guard's highest honor - the Gold Life Saving Medal with Gold Bar.

Pea_Island_Station_USLSS%2C_circa_1890.PNG

When I went on town patrol while stationed in Germany we had a few fights erupt between service members and Germans in clubs when Germans would sing along with rap lyrics. Germans kids didn't really understand why it was a problem....

That was 15 or so years ago so I'm pretty sure they've gotten the memo by now...

Reactions: fsu1jreed
There's a big difference between saying on social media and reading American Literature for a class....with that said, I wouldn't have said it in the class either

Last edited:
Reactions: West Duval Nole
This is why I questioned whether there was more to the story.
I don't suspect there needs to be. It is widely known that white people are not allowed to say the n word under any circumstances. I'm one of the few liberals I guess who also thinks it should not be said by anyone. I don't think its okay for gay people to say the f word, either.

FIFY

No one should be allowed to say it. If you think otherwise, you’re only making excuses and enabling bad behavior.

You know, I kind of concur with that, but I'm not a minority so I believe that I don't think it's my place to say what they decide to refer to each other by.

I do agree that it's probably not helpful long-term.

Last edited:
You know, I kind of concur with that, but I'm not a minority so I believe that I don't it's my place to say what they decide to refer to each other by.

I do agree that it's probably not helpful long-term.
If the word is so offensive, why would anyone want to refer to anyone else by it, minority or not? And why wouldn’t anyone who uses it today be cancelled? Like, I hear the word used quite a bit by certain black people in certain songs. Why don’t the artists, producers, distributors, and stations get cancelled?

I also hear it in movies… for example, last week I was watching a movie and a black guy said to another black guy, “What’s up my N——?!?!” Why haven’t those actors, writers, directors, producers, distributors, or channels been cancelled yet?

I’ve also heard black people say this to other black people throughout my entire life. Why haven’t they been cancelled?

Life is just so confusing sometimes. All these rules and all these things that are ok to do by some people but not ok to do by other people. I just don’t know what to do. And they seem to change every day depending on who you ask or what they want. Like agendas and narratives and stuff.

Way back when, my grandpa once taught me a word that I think applies to a lot of life’s perceived problems. I think it was hypocrisy.

If the word is so offensive, why would anyone want to refer to anyone else by it, minority or not? And why wouldn’t anyone who uses it today be cancelled? Like, I hear the word used quite a bit by certain black people in certain songs. Why don’t the artists, producers, distributors, and stations get cancelled?

I also hear it in movies… for example, last week I was watching a movie and a black guy said to another black guy, “What’s up my N——?!?!” Why haven’t those actors, writers, directors, producers, distributors, or channels been cancelled yet?

I’ve also heard black people say this to other black people throughout my entire life. Why haven’t they been cancelled?

Life is just so confusing sometimes. All these rules and all these things that are ok to do by some people but not ok to do by other people. I just don’t know what to do. And they seem to change every day depending on who you ask or what they want. Like agendas and narratives and stuff.

Way back when, my grandpa once taught me a word that I think applies to a lot of life’s perceived problems. I think it was hypocrisy.

Your grandpa really taught you the word hypocrisy or that's just the story you're couching your "how come they can say it and I can't" dullard white dad take in to make it sound a little wiser?

Reactions: tarheelbybirth
You should really sit this one out
I’m guessing there is more to it than this as others have said, the school maybe was looking for an excuse to move on.

In real life I’ve seen interracial couples use the word commonly, it’s become such a commonly used word in entertainment that it’s only as big a deal as someone wants it to be.

Your grandpa really taught you the word hypocrisy or that's just the story you're couching your "how come they can say it and I can't" dullard white dad take in to make it sound a little wiser?
I don’t remember. But he DID warn me about the “do as I say, not as I do” crowd. He also told me that true racists are easy to spot… and I’m pretty sure I’m responding to one right now.

I don’t remember. But he DID warn me about the “do as I say, not as I do” crowd. He also told me that true racists are easy to spot… and I’m pretty sure I’m responding to one right now.
My grandpa told me not to lie about stuff he taught me in order to sound wiser or more interesting.

Reactions: billanole
ADVERTISEMENT