ADVERTISEMENT

FLO's 2020 d1 commitment list

rossel 33

HR All-American
Jul 17, 2004
Nice rundown on where all the ranked guys are heading, as well as list the ranked uncommitted talent.

FLO's "Early Team Leaders" are:

Okla St
Cornell
Nebraska
Iowa
VT
Rutgers
NC State
Army West Pt.

These are considered the "leaders" because they all have 4 or more wrestlers listed in the top 200.

Only 3 of those schools got a single top 10 guy - Okla St (Plott), Cornell (Saunders), Nebraska (Serrano) and Iowa (Kennedy).

Interesting that only one d1 school has 2 top 10 commitments, and they didn't make the cut - PSU.

See, Army with #42 Swartz, #124 Fielden, #144 Carlson and #179 Ramsey is deemed a leader, while lowly PSU only got #4 Howard and #7 Bartlett.

Myopic, but not surprising.

Nice rundown on where all the ranked guys are heading, as well as list the ranked uncommitted talent.

FLO's "Early Team Leaders" are:

Okla St
Cornell
Nebraska
Iowa
VT
Rutgers
NC State
Army West Pt.

These are considered the "leaders" because they all have 4 or more wrestlers listed in the top 200.

Only 3 of those schools got a single top 10 guy - Okla St (Plott), Cornell (Saunders), Nebraska (Serrano) and Iowa (Kennedy).

Interesting that only one d1 school has 2 top 10 commitments, and they didn't make the cut - PSU.

See, Army with #42 Swartz, #124 Fielden, #144 Carlson and #179 Ramsey is deemed a leader, while lowly PSU only got #4 Howard and #7 Bartlett.

Myopic, but not surprising.

Hey, look on the bright side -- this indicates TnT weren't the last holdouts clinging to an old formula that doesn't quite fit today's world. ;)

lol. what is this, CNN?

that's a lot of effort to twist things. i very clearly started with the schools that have 4 or more commits. then when on to other notables. they aren't rankings.

Reactions: Grip220 and HawkMD
And if PSU is somehow able to grab #1 Ferrari, they still wouldn't crack the top 8 "leaders" because they still wouldn't have 4 "top 200" guys.... got it.

PSU is trailing badly, I wonder how they'll be able to compete.

smalls stated above that it isn’t a ranking.

lol. what is this, CNN?

that's a lot of effort to twist things. i very clearly started with the schools that have 4 or more commits. then when on to other notables. they aren't rankings.
The headline is "Cowboys Still Lead 2020 Commitments," and the first section is "Early Team Leaders," while the section below including Penn State is "Other Notable Programs."

If "Lead," "Leaders," and "Other" are not intended to convey any sort of ranking, we have a different interpretation of the English language.

The headline is "Cowboys Still Lead 2020 Commitments," and the first section is "Early Team Leaders," while the section below including Penn State is "Other Notable Programs."

If "Lead," "Leaders," and "Other" are not intended to convey any sort of ranking, we have a different interpretation of the English language.

...and one of you can write.

Did I miss these 2020 guys competing for psu already?

No. What you DID miss was the already formed trend to allow him to make that statement.

PSU top 10ish picks since Sanderson:(I included 2009 since Taylor falls into that category and I also included PA recruits as they have almost kept every top 10 pick in state that they have gone after, even including throwing Haines away after they got Nevills)

2009: Napoli was #9 from PA and went to Lehigh
1-Taylor-OH
5-Ruth-PA
8-Kemerer-PA
2010: Evans was #4 and went to Iowa. I don't remember Cael making a big push there.
2-Alton-PA
8-Alton-PA
2011: Beckman was #10 and went to Lehigh. Considering he was projected 125, I don't think Cael went after him.
1-McIntosh-CA
3-Megaludis-PA
2012: Gulibon was the only PA guy in the top 20.
3-Gulibon PA
2013: Brooks Black was #9 and went to Illinois. #11 Weircioch went to Pitt
3-Retherford-PA
2014: #2 Marsteller(we all know that story). #9 Haines as well. 10-Chisko went to VTech
4-Nolf-PA
5-Nevills-CA
7-Nickal-Tx
2015: 8-Kemerer was not pursued due to landing Joseph
5-Joseph-PA
2016: (This is the 1st of 2 years they didn't land a TOP 10ish(counting #11) from PA 7-Hidlay-with him projecting at 157 and them having Nolf and Joseph, there wasn't a need. 8-Pletcher was probably the 1st real miss, but they did still have Conaway and Gulibon for a bit longer.)
1-Hall MN
3-Suriano NJ
10-Manville VA
2017: #2 Lee was their first BIG whiff in PA. # 7 Labriola I don't think they went after having Hall and Nickal
6-Berge-MN
9-Lee-IN
2018: #4 Sasso and #10 Hoffman both went to tOSU and I don't remember much press from PSU on either.
2-Brooks-MD
11-Beard-PA
2019: #7 Chlebove went to ASU. Don't remember PSU moving on him much, if at all.
#9 Starocci-PA
2020: Bartlett was the only top 10 from PA
4-Howard-NJ
7-Bartlett-PA

Id say 98% of the time if PA has produced a top 10 P4P kid and Cael wanted him...he got him.

He would have never had that pull through rate for PA kids at Iowa State. He took the easy path to being a better coach. Move to where they are.

Last edited:
No. What you DID miss was the already formed trend to allow him to make that statement.

PSU top 10ish picks since Sanderson:(I included 2009 since Taylor falls into that category and I also included PA recruits as they have almost kept every top 10 pick in state that they have gone after, even including throwing Haines away after they got Nevills)

1-Taylor-OH
5-Ruth-PA
8-Kemerer-PA
2010: Evans was #4 and went to Iowa. I don't remember Cael making a big push there.
2-Alton-PA
8-Alton-PA
2011: Beckman was #10 and went to Lehigh. Considering he was projected 125, I don't think Cael went after him.
1-McIntosh-CA
3-Megaludis-PA
3-Gulibon PA
3-Retherford-PA
2014: #2 Marsteller(we all know that story). #9 Haines as well. 10-Chisko went to VTech
4-Nolf-PA
5-Nevills-CA
7-Nickal-Tx
5-Joseph-PA
2016: (This is the 1st of 2 years they didn't land a TOP 10ish(counting #11) from PA 7-Hidlay-with him projecting at 157 and them having Nolf and Joseph, there wasn't a need. 8-Pletcher was probably the 1st real miss, but they did still have Conaway and Gulibon for a bit longer.)
1-Hall MN
3-Suriano NJ
10-Manville VA
2017: #2 Lee was their first BIG whiff in PA. # 7 Labriola I don't think they went after having Hall and Nickal
6-Berge-MN
9-Lee-IN
2018: #4 Sasso and #10 Hoffman both went to tOSU and I don't remember much press from PSU on either.
2-Brooks-MD
11-Beard-PA
2019: #7 Chlebove went to ASU. Don't remember PSU moving on him much, if at all.
#9 Starocci-PA
4-Howard-NJ
7-Bartlett-PA
I don't think you understood the response as I intended it, especially since it was a response to a sarcastic point in the first place. We're on the same page with regards to the reasons for Caels success at PSU.

Id say 98% of the time if PA has produced a top 10 P4P kid and Cael wanted him...he got him.

He would have never had that pull through rate for PA kids at Iowa State. He took the easy path to being a better coach. Move to where they are.

Also Cael got more money from PSU, which didn't hurt.

It was all too tempting

Getting Douglas fired and stiffing ISU, his alma mater, were the collateral damage.

1-Taylor-OH
5-Ruth-PA
8-Kemerer-PA
2-Alton-PA
8-Alton-PA
1-McIntosh-CA
3-Megaludis-PA
3-Gulibon PA
3-Retherford-PA
4-Nolf-PA
5-Nevills-CA
7-Nickal-Tx
5-Joseph-PA
1-Hall MN
3-Suriano NJ
10-Manville VA
6-Berge-MN
9-Lee-IN
2-Brooks-MD
11-Beard-PA
#9 Starocci-PA
4-Howard-NJ
7-Bartlett-PA

That's an impressive list. And no other d1 team comes close to landing that kind of firepower most every year.

Regardless of Willie claiming it's "not a ranking," FLO and other ranking services have always tended to overweight getting high numbers of top 100 guys and underweight getting several top 10 guys...e.g. in 2016, despite pulling in 3 of the top 5 kids (Hall, Suriano and Manville), PSU's recruiting class ranking came in 2nd behind NCSt, who got #4, #6, #42, #43, and #66.

yes, i always undercut psu's recruiting value so that later i can say how much Cael coached them up.

Also, Mark Hall is the only one of that group (2016) to score a point at NCAA's.

Reactions: Sullivan
yes, i always undercut psu's recruiting value so that later i can say how much Cael coached them up.

Also, Mark Hall is the only one of that group (2016) to score a point at NCAA's.

Suriano? Was injured and has gone 2,1 since. Yea, not for PSU but he probably would have placed top 4 that year. Manville does not start because he has NCAA champs ahead of him who were also top ten P4P. This kind of reinforces Rossel’s point.

Which IMO is a sign PSU is coming back to the pack for a bit thanks to Suriano. They haven't filled those points he took away.

2014: Roughly 50 NCAA points gone forever. Advantage Iowa
4-Nolf-PA
7-Nickal-Tx

2015: 8-Kemerer - Iowa still benefits 2 more years wheres Cenzo only get one more year of his 20-25 NCAA points. Hopefully this ends up being a push with 20 NCAA points both this year and Kem 25 next season
5-Joseph-PA

2016:
1-Hall MN 20-25 NCAA points if he doesnt ORS
3-Suriano NJ
10-Manville VA

Heres where its coming back to the pack... Yes they have Cenzo, Hall and Raptor but after that I see a bunch of star wrestlers but I don't see the absolute super novas named Taylor, Ruth, Zain, Nolf, Nickal.

Yes PSU will be great and guys like Brooks, Howard, Beard, RBY, Berge can be 4x AA and see a final or 2 but PSU isnt going to have the rockstar kick your butt right off the bus NCAA point horsepower they have been spoiled by.

Its gonna be fun to be an Iowa fan swimming in the Cesspool soon.

Yes PSU will be great and guys like Brooks, Howard, Beard, RBY, Berge can be 4x AA and see a final or 2 but PSU isnt going to have the rockstar kick your butt right off the bus NCAA point horsepower they have been spoiled by.

I don’t know how you can say this confidently. Guys like Brooks and RBY were every bit as talented and accomplished as people like Nolf and Nickal coming out of high school. RBY was 7th as a true fresh at an insane weight class. Zane was 5th. The talent is there for RBY to make a leap.

Brooks possibly even a better recruit than any of those guys. He comes in with a cadet gold and junior silver then enters a room and train with Hall, Nickal, Taylor (not to mention Cael and Casey) right by his weight I see potential for off the bus NCAA horsepower there and a likely very high AA as a redshirt fresh.

I don’t know how you can say this confidently. Guys like Brooks and RBY were every bit as talented and accomplished as people like Nolf and Nickal coming out of high school. RBY was 7th as a true fresh at an insane weight class. Zane was 5th. The talent is there for RBY to make a leap.

Brooks possibly even a better recruit than any of those guys. He comes in with a cadet gold and junior silver then enters a room and train with Hall, Nickal, Taylor (not to mention Cael and Casey) right by his weight I see potential for off the bus NCAA horsepower there and a likely very high AA as a redshirt fresh.
I think brooks will be very good, but go back and watch his midland matches( Harvey and Christensen). He still needs improvement with his mat wrestling.

I think brooks will be very good, but go back and watch his midland matches( Harvey and Christensen). He still needs improvement with his mat wrestling.
Considering he hadn’t stepped into a college room yet, I’ll take that with large grain of salt. I think even a few months at PSU can improve the bottom wrestling significantly.

Reactions: slushhead
1) suriano had red flags. that he left psu surprised absolutely no one that knows them.
2) I valued Manville very minimally based on people i talked to and the very obvious difficulty of getting in the lineup.

both were accurate projections.

also - none of the above has anything to do w/ the current commitment list which you guys are taking great pains to be offended by lol. i thought you were tired of PSU talk on this board but you take one header in a flo article to frame something in a way to be taken aback.

make up your minds.

If it said "Early Notes" instead of "Early Leaders"

would you be making such a fuss?

i mean, what's your ultimate point?

Reactions: FUMBLE-ROOSKY
also - none of the above has anything to do w/ the current commitment list which you guys are taking great pains to be offended by lol. i thought you were tired of PSU talk on this board but you take one header in a flo article to frame something in a way to be taken aback.

make up your minds.

As an analyst if you're going to write an article about recruiting "leaders". I'd say the team with the most top 10 recruits should probably be included in that list.

Not a big deal, but it is pretty silly.

Reactions: ltsimmer and el dub
1) suriano had red flags. that he left psu surprised absolutely no one that knows them.
2) I valued Manville very minimally based on people i talked to and the very obvious difficulty of getting in the lineup.

Willie beat me to the punch but I was going to reach and say perhaps the Flo staff have a little more insight on a personal level with these kids that could effect overall team rankings.... outside of just the individuals rankings

make up your minds.

If it said "Early Notes" instead of "Early Leaders"

would you be making such a fuss?

i mean, what's your ultimate point?
The season needs to start....

So, please help me understand. Your team rankings regarding recruiting is based on how you think the guys will help the team vs. their actual ranking? If so, you ranked them believing that Suriano would get injured as a TF and transfer, while you ranked Manville the 10th best, but he really wasn’t based on the “people” you talked to?

I have to admit, that is a very cogent argument and you have compelled me to agree with you............

Which IMO is a sign PSU is coming back to the pack for a bit thanks to Suriano. They haven't filled those points he took away.

2014: Roughly 50 NCAA points gone forever. Advantage Iowa
4-Nolf-PA
7-Nickal-Tx

2015: 8-Kemerer - Iowa still benefits 2 more years wheres Cenzo only get one more year of his 20-25 NCAA points. Hopefully this ends up being a push with 20 NCAA points both this year and Kem 25 next season
5-Joseph-PA

2016:
1-Hall MN 20-25 NCAA points if he doesnt ORS
3-Suriano NJ
10-Manville VA

Heres where its coming back to the pack... Yes they have Cenzo, Hall and Raptor but after that I see a bunch of star wrestlers but I don't see the absolute super novas named Taylor, Ruth, Zain, Nolf, Nickal.

"Wait until Ruth and Taylor are gone"
"Wait until Zain is gone"
"Wait until Nolf and Bo are gone"
........ "Wait until..... ...... are gone"
With a probability of Hall and RBY taking a redshirt. this is the Hawkeye year.

That's an impressive list. And no other d1 team comes close to landing that kind of firepower most every year.

Regardless of Willie claiming it's "not a ranking," FLO and other ranking services have always tended to overweight getting high numbers of top 100 guys and underweight getting several top 10 guys...e.g. in 2016, despite pulling in 3 of the top 5 kids (Hall, Suriano and Manville), PSU's recruiting class ranking came in 2nd behind NCSt, who got #4, #6, #42, #43, and #66.

Well... There is a certain team in Ohio that has racked up quite a few top 10 recruits on a consistent basis. I'm pretty sure they are the Recruiting National Champions (credit to El Jefe for that moniker).

"Wait until Ruth and Taylor are gone"
"Wait until Zain is gone"
"Wait until Nolf and Bo are gone"
........ "Wait until..... ...... are gone"
With a probability of Hall and RBY taking a redshirt. this is the Hawkeye year.

IDK. I just can't see Cael punting this year when he is very well able to keep the run going. Even if it starts out that way, I won't believe he's punting until mid-Feb has arrived, PSU is clearly behind, and neither of those guys is taking the mat.

If the rumors have merit, maybe it's just a matter of seeing how the team (and its opponents) fare until mid/late January, then plugging in a piece if it seems necessary to secure the title.

ADVERTISEMENT