ADVERTISEMENT

FLO's 2020 d1 commitment list

yes, i always undercut psu's recruiting value so that later i can say how much Cael coached them up.

Also, Mark Hall is the only one of that group (2016) to score a point at NCAA's.

Suriano, wrestling for PSU as a true fr, had impressive wins that year, including beating eventual NCAA champ Darian Cruz 7-0. He quickly shot up the rankings and was at #2 much of the year, behind #1 Gilman, who he lost to by 3-2.

To say you were right about downplaying PSU's 2016 recruiting class (an unheard of #1, #2, and #5) because.... what... you were somehow able to predict 9 months into the future and foresee Suriano would be injured before the ncaa tournament and have to forfeit out?

No matter how you wiggle on that one, it's clear that Suriano was a blue blue blue chip recruit, with a 2nd place and 1st place finish at NCAA once he got over his injury.

Weak sauce, Willie.

Interesting side note.... Suriano's name seems to have disappeared into the ether on PSU's past roster... as if he was never on the team!?!?

Well... There is a certain team in Ohio that has racked up quite a few top 10 recruits on a consistent basis. I'm pretty sure they are the Recruiting National Champions (credit to El Jefe for that moniker).

tOSU in the last couple of years has really done well (2018 - 2 top 10 guys, and 2019 - 3 top 10). Given Ohio's HS wrestling power, they are the biggest threat to PSU in the recruiting war.

Last edited:
I don’t know how you can say this confidently. Guys like Brooks and RBY were every bit as talented and accomplished as people like Nolf and Nickal coming out of high school. RBY was 7th as a true fresh at an insane weight class. Zane was 5th. The talent is there for RBY to make a leap.

Brooks possibly even a better recruit than any of those guys. He comes in with a cadet gold and junior silver then enters a room and train with Hall, Nickal, Taylor (not to mention Cael and Casey) right by his weight I see potential for off the bus NCAA horsepower there and a likely very high AA as a redshirt fresh.
Zane’s 5th was significantly better than RBY’s 8th. Zane beat Stiebler as a true freshmen. Losing to Stiebler(1st) and Port(3rd) at Nationals is > Losing to Desanto(5th), Erneste(6th), and Lizak(7th). Don’t get me wrong, I really wanted RBY at Iowa, but Zane is better.

tOSU in the last couple of years have really done well (2018 - 2 top 10 guys, and 2019 - 3 top 10). Given Ohio's HS wrestling power, they are the biggest threat to PSU in the recruiting war.
Sounds like it's high time The Midwest gets its shit together and starts producing some more Lincoln Mac's, Williams and Brands Brothers, Ironsides, etc.

There are Top 10 kids i wouldn't recruit w/ a 10 foot pole.

y'all should figure it out.

Manville was clearly going to be a non-factor for at least a few years and perhaps...ever.

Suriano was always going to threaten to transfer.

instead of knowing this sh*t, you say i'm doctoring rankings to make psu look better.

maybe you should get better instincts/intel.

i sit back and laugh at certain commitments.

a huge part of recruiting is avoiding errors.

i could do a whole show on teams that chase rankings and not reality. do your homework.

37vlhs.jpg

Willie beat me to the punch but I was going to reach and say perhaps the Flo staff have a little more insight on a personal level with these kids that could effect overall team rankings.... outside of just the individuals rankings

Riiiiight. Because there are consistently recruits in the top 100 who will shine brighter than top ten recruits.

Reactions: TarpHawk

Manville was clearly going to be a non-factor for at least a few years and perhaps...ever.

instead of knowing this sh*t, you say i'm doctoring rankings to make psu look better.

i could do a whole show on teams that chase rankings and not reality. do your homework.

And it is hot air like this why I will NEVER pay Flo a cent. Does your boss know you run away business like this?

Are you on drugs? Wtf does any of this have to do with the extremely high correlation between the number of top 10 p4p recruits a team gets and their results at nationals?

The point of this thread was that it's laughable that PSU wasn't listed as a "leader" in an article about 2020 recruiting leaders when they have probably the best (or at least top 3) recruiting class.

Manville was a cadet World gold medalist, and FLO had him as #5 in the 2016 Big Board. That by any definition is a blue chip prospect.

You seem to be saying "Manville was clearly going be a non-factor for a few years and possibly.... ever" just because it was Penn St, where there were national champs in 2017 at 149, 157, 165, 174, and 184?

Most other schools don't have that luxury.

Surely if Manville had gone somewhere else, say, some team that didn't already have an NCAA champ at all those weights like PSU did, he could've started and produced points at the ncaa level.

It's hard for me to see the logic of downgrading a school's recruiting haul, because, well, they already have a stable of world beaters on their team already.

If you're really doing recruiting rankings that way, you're grading on a curve. Not coincidentally, it makes PSU look like did so much with lesser recruits.

Most other schools don't have that luxury.....

.....It's hard for me to see the logic of downgrading a school's recruiting haul, because, well, they already have a stable of world beaters on their team already.

If you're really doing recruiting rankings that way, you're grading on a curve. Not coincidentally, it makes PSU look like did so much with lesser recruits.

I agree.

Reactions: MSeil

Can you share some links or audio links where you shared this insight prior to these events occurring? You have a wide open forum where I am certain you implied that Suriano was a transfer risk when he committed. Feel free to enlighten us rubes to where you said, wrote or implied these deep thoughts.

Top ten recruits by Flo? If you wouldn’t touch them, then why are they in the top ten?

Top ten recruits by Flo? If you wouldn’t touch them, then why are they in the top ten?

• Recruiting Ranking = How much a guy will contribute to the team he selects

• 10' Pole Ranking = How well a recruit's personality aligns with the culture of the team he selects

• Leader Ranking = Who had the most recruits

• Magic Superiority Dust = Willie's Touch

Flo Ranking = (((2 x Recruiting Ranking) + 10' Pole Ranking + Leader Ranking)/4) + Magic Superiority Dust

I don't understand why people don't get this. Learn the formula, and you'll realize PSU's recruiting prowess is way overrated.

To be clear, I don't think you doctor rankings solely for PSU's benefit. I just disagree with the value you give for landing multiple top 100 recruits vs. a couple top 10's.

Are you saying Sanderson was dumb enough to recruit a guy that would most likely transfer? Because if you knew that, shouldn't he?

Do you not realize how bad the Manville part makes you look EITHER way? You are either saying that you wouldn't recruit ANYONE from 10 or lower or WRONGLY ranked Manville 10. Which is it? You can't say I wouldn't recruit a top 10 recruit, but then rank him top 10. He MUST be top 10 because he has MORE value than anyone below him, or he SHOULD NOT be where he is. That is, by definition, what a ranking system is for.

Simply put, you guys do the rankings. No matter what you say, they ARE subjective. If Manville shouldn't have been recruited as a Top 10 guy, you SHOULD NOT have ranked him Top 10.................

They have results and wins that warrant the ranking. Look at Ryan Anderson for example, stud with amazing results. But many teams wouldnt tough him with a ten foot pole.

Reactions: Ihawkd9times

MmEu.gif

My point was there is a difference between a David Taylor, Spencer Lee recruit who is a game changer day 1 and a guy who could be a national champion when its all said and done.

Taylor, Ruth, Zain, Nolf and Nickal you could see coming and look at what they did in their first season. Maybe not a title but were immediatly top 3 elite bonus getters who were locks for NCAA finalists and Hodge talk entering soph seasons. They didnt need 3 years to put it together like a Mat Brown type. Not knocking on a 1x champ but saying the PSU run has been built on rockstars who are above and beyond just being 1x type guys. Hall and Cenzo you could see coming and they won as freshman. But they are about to be cycled out and replaced by guys like RBY, Berge, Verkleren, Manville...all really great wrestlers who could win a title at some point but they aint in the hodge talk and aint nobody penciling them in the finals as soph.

Now Brooks and the rest who havent been rolled out. Great recruits but I dont see a wow factor like I felt with the other legends PSU rolled through. Teske isnt a Nico and Brooks aint an Ed Ruth. Probably more a Myles Martin type.. RBY isnt Zain, Berge isnt Nolf etc.

That top end deep horse is the difference between 130 NCAA team points and 90. I know because this is what Iowa has been trotting out. Guys who maybe get to the semis and 50/50 at a finals versus guys who walk off the bus at Nationals and take hostage and burn the building on the way to sat night. Theres a difference between Bo Nickals and Myles Martins Or a Taylor versus a DSJ or Spencer vs Gilman. if you understand that difference then you tell me where in 3 years that PSU edge will be because I think they are coming back to the pack and reality and are in line for more Morgan McIntosh types than Ed Ruth types.

Last edited:
My point was there is a difference between a David Taylor, Spencer Lee recruit who is a game changer day 1 and a guy who could be a national champion when its all said and done.

Taylor, Ruth, Zain, Nolf and Nickal you could see coming and look at what they did in their first season. Maybe not a title but were immediatly top 3 elite bonus getters who were locks for NCAA finalists and Hodge talk entering soph seasons. They didnt need 3 years to put it together like a Mat Brown type. Not knocking on a 1x champ but saying the PSU run has been built on rockstars who are above and beyond just being 1x type guys. Hall and Cenzo you could see coming and they won as freshman. But they are about to be cycled out and replaced by guys like RBY, Berge, Verkleren, Manville...all really great wrestlers who could win a title at some point but they aint in the hodge talk and aint nobody penciling them in the finals as soph.

Now Brooks and the rest who havent been rolled out. Great recruits but I dont see a wow factor like I felt with the other legends PSU rolled through. Teske isnt a Nico and Brooks aint an Ed Ruth. Probably more a Myles Martin type.. RBY isnt Zain, Berge isnt Nolf etc.

That top end deep horse is the difference between 130 NCAA team points and 90. I know because this is what Iowa has been trotting out. Guys who maybe get to the semis and 50/50 at a finals versus guys who walk off the bus at Nationals and take hostage and burn the building on the way to sat night. Theres a difference between Bo Nickals and Myles Martins Or a Taylor versus a DSJ or Spencer vs Gilman. if you understand that difference then you tell me where in 3 years that PSU edge will be because I think they are coming back to the pack and reality and are in line for more Morgan McIntosh types than Ed Ruth types.
Coming into college, Brooks is every bit as well regarded as Nolf, Nickal, shoot even Mark Hall. The only reason you can say he’s not a Ruth is because you’ve seen Ruth’s college results. Brooks is a higher prospect than those guys at the same point in their careers.

People knew that Nolf, Nickal, Ruth were good coming out of high school, but it’s not like they could predict the types of bonus points they ended up putting up. Shoot, David Taylor got ragdolled by Kyler Sanderson during his true freshman year.

Higher prospect than Hall? Ummmmm no! Nolf and Nickal? That is reasonable, but the difference above is marginal at best.

Another big difference is Nolf and Nickal SHOWED they were DI studs the 1st year out of High School. To date, Brooks has not. He may very well prove to be once he is in The PSU room full time. But, let’s not act like he hasn’t been rolling around with elite guys all of this past season.

Higher prospect than Hall? Ummmmm no! Nolf and Nickal? That is reasonable, but the difference above is marginal at best.

Another big difference is Nolf and Nickal SHOWED they were DI studs the 1st year out of High School. To date, Brooks has not. He may very well prove to be once he is in The PSU room full time. But, let’s not act like he hasn’t been rolling around with elite guys all of this past season.
Don’t think Nolf every made a world team. Nickal did not place at juniors. Hall was a runner up same as Brooks.

Don’t think Nolf every made a world team. Nickal did not place at juniors. Hall was a runner up same as Brooks.

World teams do not necessarily make one a better prospect in folkstyle. Mat wrestling is a huge equalizer in DI. Both Nolf and Nickal showed right away that they were not getting ridden. That is still a question mark for Brooks.

Still, I did say that Brooks could have been considered a better recruiting prospect,right out of High School, over Nolf or Nickal, but NOT over Hall.

Seems like there is some revisionist history going on in this thread. There was certainly some doubt about how good Nickal would be. He was ranked in the second half of the top 10 and there were even people that considered him a risk because he was from Texas.

Same for Ed Ruth, people forget he was a zero time PA state champ headed to Blair his senior year who didn't establish himself as a top 10 recruit until he knocked off Chris Phillips at Ironman. Even guys like Nolf and Retherford were not considered can't miss prospects like Lee, Snyder or Taylor.

Bottom line, for every guy mentioned above, there was another wrestler considered just as good coming out of high school that didn't accomplish much of anything so anyone saying they had all these guys pegged back then are full of it.

Last edited:
Seems like there is some revisionist history going on in this thread. There was certainly some doubt about how good Nickal would be. He was ranked in the second half of the top 10 and there were even people that considered him a risk because he was from Texas.

Same for Ed Ruth, people forget he was a zero time PA state champ headed to Blair his senior year who didn't establish himself as a top 10 recruit until he knocked off Chris Philips at Ironman. Even guys like Nolf and Retherford were not considered can't miss prospects like Lee, Snyder or Taylor.

Bottom line, for every guy mentioned above, there was another wrestler considered just as good coming out of high school that didn't accomplish much of anything so anyone saying they had all these guys pegged back then are full of it.
People are judging this based off of Nolf and Nickal’s college careers. I stand by that Brooks is a better recruit than Nolf or Nickal out of high school. He is even with Hall.

Same for Ed Ruth, people forget he was a zero time PA state champ headed to Blair his senior year who didn't establish himself as a top 10 recruit until he knocked off Chris Philips at Ironman. Even guys like Nolf and Retherford were not considered can't miss prospects like Lee, Snyder or Taylor.

Ed Ruth WAS a top 5 recruit. Being a late bloomer doesn’t mean you are a “can miss”. Burroughs and Caesar can back that up. However, what is even more telling is that Ruth was at least ranked that high even though he was late to the party. That shows just how good he was at the end of High School.

Barely ANYONE is a true can’t miss out of High School. Even David Taylor wasn’t a lock as late as the end of his redshirt year. However, lifestyle along with talent is a great indicator. Nolf showed it to anyone that paid attention and the fact that Nickal basically owned Hall, even though he was older, showed a LOT.

As for other guys rated as high at the same time:
1.Snyder went 2,1,1,1 and won a few gold medals as well
2.Marsteller’s “lifestyle” was a giant ? But, he did find a way to AA top 4 2xs.
3.Brill was done in by injury.
4.Nolf
5.Nevills solid AA marred by some injuries.
6.Micah Jordan 3x AA and Finalist.
7.Nickal
8.McKenna 3 top 3 finishes

Of those, other than Snyder, by the time the 1st walked into a DI room, who was considered at their level? Marsteller’s issues were public. Brill was broken. 285’s are almost always bigger question marks and he was a PSU guy anyway.

Micah is the only one and his mat wrestling should have been viewed as suspect coming into DI.

I guess my point that is that even a top recruit cant be expected or is unlikely to be a 4xAA that was a 2 or 4 time finalist and a multiple if not 3x NCAA champion. Goodbye Zain, Ruth, Taylor, Nolf.Nickal and soon to be Hall & Cenzo. PSU is slowly losing its once a decade type talent that was stockpiled and being replaced by a RBY and a Berge who very well can be a 4x AA guy and maybe see a final or win a title but that isnt the same Goliath as what they have been spoiled by.

For example RBY and Berge need to be national champs in their sophmore year or they already are falling short of the guys listed above and are more than likely in the form of a Morgan McIntosh type. Thats normal. Zain wasnt normal folks. I expect Brooks to be a 4x AA but I dont expect him to bonus 90% of his guys an be a 3x champ.

That's the difference between a dude racking up 4 yrs of NCAA points that look like 25,25,20,20 and the path of 12,12,15,25.

That and PSU is due for some of the top 10 P4Ps kids to be more like a McCauley, Skon, Campelanato, Gulibon type versus what ive mentioned up at top.

I guess my point that is that even a top recruit cant be expected or is unlikely to be a 4xAA that was a 2 or 4 time finalist and a multiple if not 3x NCAA champion. Goodbye Zain, Ruth, Taylor, Nolf.Nickal and soon to be Hall & Cenzo. PSU is slowly losing its once a decade type talent that was stockpiled and being replaced by a RBY and a Berge who very well can be a 4x AA guy and maybe see a final or win a title but that isnt the same Goliath as what they have been spoiled by.

For example RBY and Berge need to be national champs in their sophmore year or they already are falling short of the guys listed above and are more than likely in the form of a Morgan McIntosh type. Thats normal. Zain wasnt normal folks. I expect Brooks to be a 4x AA but I dont expect him to bonus 90% of his guys an be a 3x champ.

That's the difference between a dude racking up 4 yrs of NCAA points that look like 25,25,20,20 and the path of 12,12,15,25.

That and PSU is due for some of the top 10 P4Ps kids to be more like a McCauley, Skon, Campelanato, Gulibon type versus what ive mentioned up at top.
You are right that that type of production can’t be expected, or guaranteed. But, the fact is PSU has had an ability to turn those types of prospects into generational talents. It’s not like it was a one off. It has been Taylor, Ruth, Zane, Nolf, Nickal. While Hall certainly hasn’t been on the same level of bonus points, he’s still almost a sure fired 4x finalist and same with Cenzo and Nico. Why would you think that Brooks, Beard, or any of their other top recruits who have yet to see the mat can’t do that too?

Are you talking about Jr World regarding Hall? Hall was not a runnerup at Jr Worlds. He was a 2x gold medal winner.

Jr Worlds FS

2016 gold medal winner - Hall (won finals by TF)
2017 gold medal winner - Hall (won finals by fall)

Hall was #1 p4p in the 2016 recruiting class. His credentials are about as blue chip as you can get.

Are you talking about Jr World regarding Hall? Hall was not a runnerup at Jr Worlds. He was a 2x gold medal winner.

Jr Worlds FS

2016 gold medal winner - Hall (won finals by TF)
2017 gold medal winner - Hall (won finals by fall)

Hall was #1 p4p in the 2016 recruiting class. His credentials are about as blue chip as you can get.
You are right. Don’t know why I thought Hal got beat.

That said the 2017 title was after a year at PSU. So heading into college, Hall was a cadet champ and a Junior champ. Brooks was a cadet champ and a junior runner up. Brooks is as blue chip as they get as well.

Same for Ed Ruth, people forget he was a zero time PA state champ headed to Blair his senior year who didn't establish himself as a top 10 recruit until he knocked off Chris Phillips at Ironman. Even guys like Nolf and Retherford were not considered can't miss prospects like Lee, Snyder or Taylor.

Guys here knew Nickal wasn't going to be great after the Mcculley loss his RS year now say he was a sure thing, didn't even need coaching.

Nolf didn’t wrestle freestyle until he was in college. The big debate at the time was who was better, Marstellar or Nolf. Hall had better creds than Brooks, especially in folk. But even in free, he was a two timer junior champ and I believe he won cadets as well, same as Lee. Nolf beat Realbuto his RS year and came close with Green at the Scuffle.

Nickal lost to Gabe Dean 3-2 in free his senior year of high school. This was after Dean placed 3rd at NCAAs in 2014. Won 2 or 3 Fargo freestyle titles plus some Greco ones iirc. Shabby recruit who can’t even medal at worlds haha.

If anybody was slept on in PSUs group of studs, it was Cenzo.

Nolf didn’t wrestle freestyle until he was in college. The big debate at the time was who was better, Marstellar or Nolf. Hall had better creds than Brooks, especially in folk. But even in free, he was a two timer junior champ and I believe he won cadets as well, same as Lee. Nolf beat Realbuto his RS year and came close with Green at the Scuffle.

Nickal lost to Gabe Dean 3-2 in free his senior year of high school. This was after Dean placed 3rd at NCAAs in 2014. Won 2 or 3 Fargo freestyle titles plus some Greco ones iirc. Shabby recruit who can’t even medal at worlds haha.

If anybody was slept on in PSUs group of studs, it was Cenzo.
Never said they were shabby or slept on. Only that Brooks is up there. They were undoubtedly blue chip, amazing recruits.

The point is when someone says “well it’s not like they have another Nickal or Nolf,” they literally do.

Last edited:
Two additions to the conversation. It was rumored that Manville went into the ROTC program at PSU, so he cost the team nothing in scholarship money, so who wouldn't take a guy like Manville for free. Manville's father is a retired Colonel (I believe) from the military, so ROTC didn't come as a surprise when I heard it. Nolf, didn't do much freestyle in high school and I don't think he ever tried to make a world team.

Never said they were shabby or slept on. Only that Brooks is up there. They were undoubtedly blue chip, amazing recruits.

The point is when someone says “well it’s not like they have another Nickal or Nolf,” they literally do.

I totally agree with you. Brooks is up there and he very much can be one of those guys. plus you know high I am on RBY. But there did seem to be some spin going on here e.g. Nolf not making a world team etc.

I totally agree with you. Brooks is up there and he very much can be one of those guys. plus you know high I am on RBY. But there did seem to be some spin going on here e.g. Nolf not making a world team etc.
I was simply comparing Nolf to Brooks. Not in any way trying to imply Nolf was not a top recruit.

And with good reason... who would ever expect a guy ranked only #5 p4p and with no world gold medals to accomplish much in collegiate wrestling?

Another miracle from Cael.

No miracle. Every #5 p4p goes 1,1,2 their first 3 years?

I'm not going to suggest it was miraculous, but Joseph's freshman run through NCAAs, topped off by a victory over the 2x defending champ IMar, was pretty unexpectedly special. Eerily similar to Lewis's run this year.

I have no idea how much coaching contributed to either performance, though Joseph did credit Nolf with some good note-sharing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT