ADVERTISEMENT

FloWrestling's Early Look at Team Recruiting Rankings

Any one on here already done the work of a comparison ranking of the last 5-10 years? Would be interesting to know.

I'm not going soft on the recruiting drum, but as I've said before, don't overlook the impact of Downey and Lugo, neither of whom impact recruiting rankings but certainly impact NCAA points. Cassioppi and Nelson Brands alone aren't enough to make the top 10, but I think both are underrated potential superstars. Add Hidlay and I don't really give a damn where Flo ranks us. But...get Hidlay.

Talking about the importance of getting very elite recruits, FLO says:

<<Iowa State was maybe going to be a fringe top 10 team or honorable mention on this list. Then David Carr committed. I'm going to keep hammering this point, adding an NCAA champion-quality recruit will pay off dividends in the long run.>>

and:

<<Gable Steveson might be the most obvious No. 1 recruit in a long, long time. Mark Hall was also a consensus top guy, but the gap between Gable and any No. 2 is much bigger than it was for Hall and then-No. 2 Nick Suriano. Why does that matter? Hammers are disproportionately valuable in wrestling. >>

I agree with both of these sentiments, but it's not like FLO has recently uncovered some universal truth.

Many on this board have been emphasizing the importance of top 10 p4p elite recruits for several years. In the past, FLO, with their PSU/Cael love, seemed to downplay the importance of getting top recruits. Willie once referred to those making the point that Cael is starting out with the very elite recruits as "whiners", and instead choosing to emphasize their glorious development under Cael, with the "proof" being all the bonus pts scored by PSU at ncaa.

Good to see FLO is starting to open their eyes regarding the weighting of the very elite recruits.

I am no expert but I didn’t realize p$u was signing 8 wrestlers this year. How many seniors do they have this year? My god I thought all their starters were underclass men?? I am not clear how this is even possible
Only 2-3 seniors in their line up this season

I am no expert but I didn’t realize p$u was signing 8 wrestlers this year. How many seniors do they have this year? My god I thought all their starters were underclass men?? I am not clear how this is even possible

german_hyperinflation_4.jpg

1923-Weimar-Republic-Hyperinflation-Sweeping-Up-Currency-In-Street-Burning.jpg

hyperinflation.jpg

How the heck can F## ST sign # 2,4,9,13,20,26 and 34 ranked recruits while having the guys they have on the roster crazy to think how they are getting this done...

At this rate, they should have 20 athletes ranked in the p4p top 20 on their team within a few more years.

How the heck can F## ST sign # 2,4,9,13,20,26 and 34 ranked recruits while having the guys they have on the roster crazy to think how they are getting this done...

I think somebody (rhymes with Kale) has been watching Dewey Oxburger for strategy. “You see kids, since we are in P.A., you have to pay your own tuition. It’s in the regulations. Now if we were outside the state of P.A., then I would have to give you scholly money.”

If you're a top recruit who has spent thousands and thousands of dollars over the course of the last 12 years traveling all over the country, paying for club practices/private coaches, tournaments, camps, etc.... would you take 30% less of a scholarship if you felt it meant you had a better chance at winning a National Championship?
#2 Recently, what school has evidenced they produce National Champions (given, out of elite recruits) at a incredible rate.
#3 If your answer to #1 was yes, and you were an elite recruit who wanted to win more than anything in the world.... where would you go?

I think somebody (rhymes with Kale) has been watching Dewey Oxburger for strategy. “You see kids, since we are in P.A., you have to pay your own tuition. It’s in the regulations. Now if we were outside the state of P.A., then I would have to give you scholly money.”
Great Movie...C'mon, it's Czechoslovakia. We zip in, we pick 'em up, we zip right out again. We're not going to Moscow. It's Czechoslovakia. It's like going into Wisconsin.

If you're a top recruit who has spent thousands and thousands of dollars over the course of the last 12 years traveling all over the country, paying for club practices/private coaches, tournaments, camps, etc.... would you take 30% less of a scholarship if you felt it meant you had a better chance at winning a National Championship?
#2 Recently, what school has evidenced they produce National Champions (given, out of elite recruits) at a incredible rate.
#3 If your answer to #1 was yes, and you were an elite recruit who wanted to win more than anything in the world.... where would you go?
I’m thinking if I had payed out thousands and thousands of dollars over a period of time travelling and competeing I would be looking for and wanting the scholarship I had earned. Plus if I was a lighter weight wrestler with a desire to be an NCAA finalist and Olympic wrestler I would probably choose the U of I. So what’s your point other than once again defending the “no one needs or wants a scholarship song” agan?

OK I have been sitting here biting my tongue for months now because I do not want to say anything negative about a kid, but I have to say that I do not think Hidlay is going to have anywhere near the college career some of you guys are. Especially you guys saying he is a must get. I could be totally wrong ( usually I am) but he does not seem to me to be a kid who will adapt to Div 1 wrestling.

In the spirit of fairness - I have only seen him on film and never in person. I did not think Gilman would be that good from watching film, but when I saw him in person, I could tell he was going to be a stud for you guys.

OK I have been sitting here biting my tongue for months now because I do not want to say anything negative about a kid, but I have to say that I do not think Hidlay is going to have anywhere near the college career some of you guys are. Especially you guys saying he is a must get. I could be totally wrong ( usually I am) but he does not seem to me to be a kid who will adapt to Div 1 wrestling.

In the spirit of fairness - I have only seen him on film and never in person. I did not think Gilman would be that good from watching film, but when I saw him in person, I could tell he was going to be a stud for you guys.
I agree in my eyes hes a 174 and I dont see his dominance continuing at the next level

I’m thinking if I had payed out thousands and thousands of dollars over a period of time travelling and competeing I would be looking for and wanting the scholarship I had earned. Plus if I was a lighter weight wrestler with a desire to be an NCAA finalist and Olympic wrestler I would probably choose the U of I. So what’s your point other than once again defending the “no one needs or wants a scholarship song” agan?

You make a good point and Spencer Lee agrees with you. All I'm saying is that MOST of these kids are willing to do things others are not willing to do (sacrifice tme, social lives, spend thousands and thousands of dollars, move their family across the country, etc...) in the name of being more successful at wrestling, which is why they are BLUECHIPS...is it really that crazy to believe that if they thought it was THE place to be successful at wrestling (like say if you had more than double the #of individual champions of any other school in the last 7 years) that maybe, just maybe they would be willing to take less money, in order to attain what they perceive as a greater chance of being successful at the next level. Possibly guys who have made great sacrifices to be successful are willing to make sacrifices to be successful.

Is that really less plausible then Penn State has discovered a massive loophole that no other school in the country has chosen to exploit and the NCAA is deliberately turning a blind eye.

Which of those two scenarios do you find more likely?

Reactions: B1S3K3SC
You make a good point and Spencer Lee agrees with you. All I'm saying is that MOST of these kids are willing to do things others are not willing to do (sacrifice tme, social lives, spend thousands and thousands of dollars, move their family across the country, etc...) in the name of being more successful at wrestling, which is why they are BLUECHIPS...is it really that crazy to believe that if they thought it was THE place to be successful at wrestling (like say if you had more than double the #of individual champions of any other school in the last 7 years) that maybe, just maybe they would be willing to take less money, in order to attain what they perceive as a greater chance of being successful at the next level. Possibly guys who have made great sacrifices to be successful are willing to make sacrifices to be successful.

Is that really less plausible then Penn State has discovered a massive loophole that no other school in the country has chosen to exploit and the NCAA is deliberately turning a blind eye.

First off you are the one who is on the Iowa site defending psu. I never mentioned any school other than Iowa in my post. This forum is not the place to be discussing what the NCAA might or would do, as they tend not to try to fix things but rather resort to just eliminating them. Second, you don’t have any idea as to the reasons SL chose Iowa. If you did you wouldn’t have to ask your question.

I agree in my eyes hes a 174 and I dont see his dominance continuing at the next level

I see a more athletic Sammy Brooks. I've seen him on film and in person and he's much more impressive in person. He's big, like walk around at 195 big. I think a year under Rutt and he's a 184. I think his style translates even more to college than high school. I'd like to see more offense than just the underhook though.

... they are BLUECHIPS...is it really that crazy to believe that if they thought it was THE place to be successful at wrestling (like say if you had more than double the #of individual champions of any other school in the last 7 years) that maybe, just maybe they would be willing to take less money, in order to attain what they perceive as a greater chance of being successful at the next level. Possibly guys who have made great sacrifices to be successful are willing to make sacrifices to be successful.

It's kind of a chicken and egg, which came first question, imho.

Assembling a team of guys already #1 in their weight coming out of HS at virtually every weight is in large part what lead to winning team titles for PSU. Give Cael credit for bringing in top tier recruits. But developing them? That's harder to gauge, given the high level most are already at.

It's possible that Cael just couldn't develop mid and lower tier HS recruits at ISU, could never beat Iowa or lead ISU to a team title while ass't or head coach. But after Cael left ISU for PSU, fairy dust fell on him and he became a master at developing talent. We should ignore the fact that the PSU recruits are already the best at their weight coming out of HS, and in some cases, world class credentials. It's all due to Cael.

It's also possible that Cael and co have found a way to move money around and promise or pay recruits by creative means, bypassing the constraints of 9.9 scholarships.

Which scenario do you find more likely?

It's kind of a chicken and egg, which came first question, imho.

Assembling a team of guys already #1 in their weight coming out of HS at virtually every weight is in large part what lead to winning team titles for PSU. Give Cael credit for bringing in top tier recruits. But developing them? That's harder to gauge, given the high level most are already at.

It's possible that Cael just couldn't develop mid and lower tier HS recruits at ISU, could never beat Iowa or lead ISU to a team title while ass't or head coach. But after Cael left ISU for PSU, fairy dust fell on him and he became a master at developing talent. We should ignore the fact that the PSU recruits are already the best at their weight coming out of HS, and in some cases, world class credentials. It's all due to Cael.

It's also possible that Cael and co have found a way to move money around and promise or pay recruits by creative means, bypassing the constraints of 9.9 scholarships.

Which scenario do you find more likely?

Honestly, I think it's pretty clear. At ISU Cael was going against the "double class" Iowa, and honestly was quickly making up ground. By your logic has Brands washed off the fairy dust and magically forgotten how to develop talent? Of course not. They are both great coaches. Brands' recruiting was a large part of his initial success just as Cael's is a large part of his current success.

I don't really care, but I honestly don't understand the constant claims of slushfund, cheating, paying guys etc.... You don't think it's possible that guys are willing to take less money for a perceived greater chance at success? I know I would have (If I had ever been a bluechip recruit).

Anyway, enough said. I knew I shouldn't have commented, just don't get the cheating fixation.

My best guess is in state reduced tuition = less scholarship % plus some receiving Academic money also gives them room there plus the guarantee of a high paying "job"at the RTC post grad as a trainer. but I'm still not sure if it all adds up only carring 9.9 full per year...

Reactions: snizhawk44
We first need to fix what we are not doing before we worry about what PSU is doing. We don’t work hard enough at recruiting. What quality visitors have we had? We can’t even get guys to visit. It appears that you have to get 2-3 top 50 recruits to get in Flo’s top 10. I feel like we should easily do that every year. Plus, we don’t seem to address holes in the lineup. Why can’t we get a 133Lber if we are the premier lightweight training center? By some of your logic, lightweights should be falling all over themselves trying to come to Iowa for no money. We can’t even find a top 100 guy at 133. Or are we just a 125lb destination? I realize there are postgrads to wrestle, but does it seem right that Lee has no quality 125/133 college training partners this year and won’t next year? What does that say about our ability to build a roster? You sometimes want to train with guys your size, especially with injuries.

It’s only smart not to give any scholly money to Brands, so Cass going to get all money for incoming Frosh? Our whole recruiting class depends on Hilday? A guy who might not even project to 184? Recruiting is just not Brands’s thing. We need a recruiting coordinator. Someone who will make sure recruits are at least contacted. The path to a perrenial 3-6th place team is established.

Last edited:
Sanderson has already shown he is not above certain things. #slushfund would not surprise me a bit.

I see a more athletic Sammy Brooks. I've seen him on film and in person and he's much more impressive in person. He's big, like walk around at 195 big. I think a year under Rutt and he's a 184. I think his style translates even more to college than high school. I'd like to see more offense than just the underhook though.
195 walking around that's big for a high school 170 if he's that big and going 170 that's even more of a reason to think he won't be the same guy in college.I agree all his offense comes from his underhook and when he faces top high school kids he has problems scoring with his underhook.

I started following message boards a few years ago and there are three things that I have grown to dislike:

1. People that take shots at wrestlers and their families that really don’t know what the hell their talking about.

2. If I never hear another Penn State Wrestler talk about fun again it would be okay. I am tired of the scripted, branded, marketed, tag line descriptors being used at each interview and yes, I do know some of those guys personally on that team and yes, they are encouraged to work that verbiage into their interviews. It worked and they are good at it, but enough is enough, Cael, it’s time to change the slogan or at least mix it up a little, so it’s not so obvious.

3. Complaints about our recruiting over the past year and this is where I have the most to say: We just landed the #1 class in the country last year. There are individuals in that class that can be the bonus point scorers that we have been lacking and Penn State has had… We landed a huge transfer with high all American upside in that same class that wasn’t included in the #1 ranking in Lugo with three years of eligibility left and Dugan with four years left--our room took a big jump with the nations #1 class and two transfers. We are still working on this year’s class and I believe have done three things that will enhance our ability to recruit future classes by (1) announcing a facility study, with plans forthcoming that could be shown to recruits and (2) we significantly upgraded the HWC with an additional coach and athletes. (3) We have raised millions of dollars in the last six months… This will all help us to recruit. As far as this year’s class, I am disappointed that we haven’t landed a top 133 prospect this year, but let’s break down the Brands perceived lack of ability to recruit—let’s say at 133 into Iowa’s top lightweight room. They recruited and landed Seth Gross, currently the nations #1 ranked College wrestler at 133. He came to Iowa and we all know he had well documented issues and left, but he was recruited to Iowa and Iowa landed him. How good would our team be this year if we had been able to keep Gross on this year’s team if we pulled all shirts and wrestled our best team? Pretty damn good. How good would we be next year if we had Gross holding down 133 as a senior? Can you imagine our team next year with Gross? We’re going to be very good anyway, add him and I put us up against anybody. Let’s stay on 133. The Brands landed a verbal commitment from Teasdale who some project as the current #1 or #2 at 133. He verballed and chased off a couple of other top recruits that were projected 133—at that time. The timing of the Teasdale decommit seriously hurt Iowa. So, in my opinion, it hasn’t been an inability to recruit as much as unfortunate and unlucky circumstances at a particular weight. The staff has to adjust and work things out and get a commitment, because there are no excuses, just results, but I am certain they will in either this year’s class or next, because you’re right, we do have the best light weight room with the best lightweight coaches that have proven the ability to fill that weight in the recent past and did just graduate the defending NCAA Champ at that weight.

As far as Spencer Lee and current workout partners… In a week’s time, he can wrestle with McDonough, Delgado, Dardanes, Clark, Gilman, Terry Brands, and yes Terry still scraps, Max Murrin, Stickley, Perez, Laux, Glynn, Happel… are you kidding me—it’s the best room in the country for a lightweight. Lee has great partners and when we do land another stud 133 they will have the best room going for them as well.

Lastly let’s talk about this year’s class and yes, this is where I am going to get some people fired up, but again, it’s a message board so here it goes... I love Nelson Brands and believe he will far exceed his high school ranking with his college results. The kid is driven, has a motor that will play well in College with 7 minute matches and referees who will force the pace. I believe he is under-ranked. Not that anyone or Willie is making a mistake, but under ranked per what I think he will do in College. Cassiopi, I think he’s the real deal. The kid is just that--a kid. He is very immature compared to Gable. He is also driven and extremely dedicated, focused with big dreams. Gable likes to have a little fun and I think he’s going to enjoy the college life and he's in the right place to do just that. While I believe Gable is a superstar and I love him as a wrestler and I do believe he is going to do great things in College, I think our guy will beat him in Carver Hawkeye Arena and at nationals before all is said and done. I like our guys upside and drive and believe he will close the obvious gap that is there, no need to post any video, (I know that Gable would win the match if held today). I also believe that a college 7-minute match is in our guy’s favor as well. I know I am probably one of a few that might believe this to be true, but that’s my take, so while we are lagging behind in this year’s recruiting class, I do like our two big guns in this class and remember the class isn’t signed yet and there is still time to sign a few more. Maybe we can get someone to change their mind like Teasdale did to us.... I used to think this was awful, but now it seems to be more the norm.

My last opinion is that we are 1 or 2 studs away from winning it all again, so let’s hope we can land those guys either as we close out this class or we get them for next year and yes, I do think we can be at the top again and in the near future and with all that has been done over the last year we are on the path to a perennial top three fight to the finish again and yes, I do think we can win it all in the next two to three years.

I started following message boards a few years ago and there are three things that I have grown to dislike:

1. People that take shots at wrestlers and their families that really don’t know what the hell their talking about.

2. If I never hear another Penn State Wrestler talk about fun again it would be okay. I am tired of the scripted, branded, marketed, tag line descriptors being used at each interview and yes, I do know some of those guys personally on that team and yes, they are encouraged to work that verbiage into their interviews. It worked and they are good at it, but enough is enough, Cael, it’s time to change the slogan or at least mix it up a little, so it’s not so obvious.

3. Complaints about our recruiting over the past year and this is where I have the most to say: We just landed the #1 class in the country last year. There are individuals in that class that can be the bonus point scorers that we have been lacking and Penn State has had… We landed a huge transfer with high all American upside in that same class that wasn’t included in the #1 ranking in Lugo with three years of eligibility left and Dugan with four years left--our room took a big jump with the nations #1 class and two transfers. We are still working on this year’s class and I believe have done three things that will enhance our ability to recruit future classes by (1) announcing a facility study, with plans forthcoming that could be shown to recruits and (2) we significantly upgraded the HWC with an additional coach and athletes. (3) We have raised millions of dollars in the last six months… This will all help us to recruit. As far as this year’s class, I am disappointed that we haven’t landed a top 133 prospect this year, but let’s break down the Brands perceived lack of ability to recruit—let’s say at 133 into Iowa’s top lightweight room. They recruited and landed Seth Gross, currently the nations #1 ranked College wrestler at 133. He came to Iowa and we all know he had well documented issues and left, but he was recruited to Iowa and Iowa landed him. How good would our team be this year if we had been able to keep Gross on this year’s team if we pulled all shirts and wrestled our best team? Pretty damn good. How good would we be next year if we had Gross holding down 133 as a senior? Can you imagine our team next year with Gross? We’re going to be very good anyway, add him and I put us up against anybody. Let’s stay on 133. The Brands landed a verbal commitment from Teasdale who some project as the current #1 or #2 at 133. He verballed and chased off a couple of other top recruits that were projected 133—at that time. The timing of the Teasdale decommit seriously hurt Iowa. So, in my opinion, it hasn’t been an inability to recruit as much as unfortunate and unlucky circumstances at a particular weight. The staff has to adjust and work things out and get a commitment, because there are no excuses, just results, but I am certain they will in either this year’s class or next, because you’re right, we do have the best light weight room with the best lightweight coaches that have proven the ability to fill that weight in the recent past and did just graduate the defending NCAA Champ at that weight.

As far as Spencer Lee and current workout partners… In a week’s time, he can wrestle with McDonough, Delgado, Dardanes, Clark, Gilman, Terry Brands, and yes Terry still scraps, Max Murrin, Stickley, Perez, Laux, Glynn, Happel… are you kidding me—it’s the best room in the country for a lightweight. Lee has great partners and when we do land another stud 133 they will have the best room going for them as well.

Lastly let’s talk about this year’s class and yes, this is where I am going to get some people fired up, but again, it’s a message board so here it goes... I love Nelson Brands and believe he will far exceed his high school ranking with his college results. The kid is driven, has a motor that will play well in College with 7 minute matches and referees who will force the pace. I believe he is under-ranked. Not that anyone or Willie is making a mistake, but under ranked per what I think he will do in College. Cassiopi, I think he’s the real deal. The kid is just that--a kid. He is very immature compared to Gable. He is also driven and extremely dedicated, focused with big dreams. Gable likes to have a little fun and I think he’s going to enjoy the college life and he's in the right place to do just that. While I believe Gable is a superstar and I love him as a wrestler and I do believe he is going to do great things in College, I think our guy will beat him in Carver Hawkeye Arena and at nationals before all is said and done. I like our guys upside and drive and believe he will close the obvious gap that is there, no need to post any video, (I know that Gable would win the match if held today). I also believe that a college 7-minute match is in our guy’s favor as well. I know I am probably one of a few that might believe this to be true, but that’s my take, so while we are lagging behind in this year’s recruiting class, I do like our two big guns in this class and remember the class isn’t signed yet and there is still time to sign a few more. Maybe we can get someone to change their mind like Teasdale did to us.... I used to think this was awful, but now it seems to be more the norm.

My last opinion is that we are 1 or 2 studs away from winning it all again, so let’s hope we can land those guys either as we close out this class or we get them for next year and yes, I do think we can be at the top again and in the near future and with all that has been done over the last year we are on the path to a perennial top three fight to the finish again and yes, I do think we can win it all in the next two to three years.

Great post! How did you do that?

Agree with the vast majority. I do however feel that the perception that you are in the top 10 at a minimum keeps the momentum rolling. Not making the top 10 makes kids raise an eyebrow when that other school just landed 8 kids.

You forgot Meija and Renteria at 133.If they didn't go hard after Teasdale then Renteria wouldve stayed but with the offer to Teasdale there wasn't enough money to go around so Renteria moved on.They've actually recruited 133 really good just haven't been able to keep there guys.That's the problem with committing early before your senior year all the money offers are just verbals and once someone better comes along most coaches jump on it and wrestlers move on from there verbals.

Can you clarify, which class was our recruiting ranked #1?

ADVERTISEMENT