ADVERTISEMENT

Folks do your family a favor and make birria tacos

Recipe for birria sauce?

And chilaquilas as well?
5 ancho chiles, 5 gaujillo chiles and 5 New Mexico chiles. Cleaned of seeds and softened in warm water.

spice mix - I tbl coriander, I tbl peppercorns, 2 cloves 6 bay leaves 1 tsp Mexican oregano and 1 cinnamon stick. Toasted until fragrant then ground all but cinnamon to powder

2-3 lbs chuck cut into cubes and 1-2 lbs short ribs. Sear meat and removed

sauté one chopped yellow onion until soft. Add 8 cloves chopped garlic and spice mixure. Stir till fragrant. Add back meat, add chiles and 8 cups beef broth or water. Simmer for 30 minutes until chiles as soft

remove chiles and blend with 2 cups of liquid until smooth. Pour back Chile purée and add cinnnamon stick and 1/4 apply cider vinegar. Cover with foil and lid and cook in oven at 300 degrees for 2 hours or so. Until meat tender

removed beef and shred. Season sauce to taste. Then dip corn tortillas in the sauce and fry on cast iron. Add meat and shredded Oaxaca cheese. Serve tacos with sauce for dipping and traditional toppings (onion, cilantro, limesc radishes and pickled onions.

Last edited:
5 ancho chiles, 5 gaujillo chiles and 5 New Mexico chiles. Cleaned of seeds and softened in warm water.

spice mix - I tbl coriander, I tbl peppercorns, 2 cloves 6 bay leaves 1 tsp Mexican oregano and 1 cinnamon stick. Toasted until fragrant then ground all but cinnamon to powder

sauté one chopped yellow onion until soft. Add 8 cloves chopped garlic and spice mixure. Stir till fragrant. Add back meat, add chiles and 8 cups beef broth or water. Simmer for 30 minutes until chiles as soft

remove chilled and blend with 2 cups of liquid until smooth. Pour back Chile purée and add cinnnamon stick and 1/4 apply cider vinegar. Cover with foil and lid and cook in oven at 300 degrees for 2 hours or so. Until meat tender

removed beef and shred. Season sauce to taste. Then dip corn tortillas in the sauce and fry on cast iron. Add meat and shredded Oaxaca cheese. Serve tacos with sauce for dipping and traditional toppings (onion, cilantro, limesc radishes and pickled onions.
Sound good but definitely not spending 4 hours making tacos.

Reactions: Randy Marsh

remove chilled and blend with 2 cups of liquid until smooth. Pour back Chile purée and add cinnnamon stick and 1/4 apply cider vinegar. Cover with foil and lid and cook in oven at 300 degrees for 2 hours or so. Until meat tender

Thanks, muchacho. And, go Noles!

Reactions: NCHawk5
I don’t know how Sam the Cooking Guy isn’t Scott Van Pelt’s brother or cousin or something.

• Haha
Reactions: GOHOX69
Is there a vegan version?
So I was thinking about this because we have several vegan friends. I think it would be good if you used a combo of dried mushrooms. Rehydrate and use that liquid plus vegetable stock with the same Chile spice. For the filling a mixture of fresh mushrooms or squash blossoms would be good

Birria is a family favorite of ours. I've never thought of doing chilaquiles with the leftover consume so thanks for the tip!

ADVERTISEMENT