ADVERTISEMENT

Folkstyle Nationals

Guess there is a Folkstyle nationals "recruiting showcase" going on up in Cedar Falls...possible Tate Naak/Walrath finals at 182. Would like to see that one.

Sorry for the wrestling thread amidst the PSU/Iowa pissing contest...carry on.
I have no doubt what this thread will devolve into...

Guess there is a Folkstyle nationals "recruiting showcase" going on up in Cedar Falls...possible Tate Naak/Walrath finals at 182. Would like to see that one.

Is this the USA folkstyle nationals that goes on every year? If so this is the first I've heard about it. Need to promote this tournament more. I suppose it is one notch in order to get the USA wrestling triple crown.

I didn’t think this was worth starting it’s own thread, but Team Sebolt is also traveling down south to wrestle in the Elite 8 duals this weekend. Bringing both Jesuroga’s, Martinson, Kueter and more. Some of the other teams have Cody Chittum, Troy Spratley, The Bouzakis brothers, and more. Streamed on Rokfin.

Is this the USA folkstyle nationals that goes on every year? If so this is the first I've heard about it. Need to promote this tournament more. I suppose it is one notch in order to get the USA wrestling triple crown.
Yeah, I'd say the lineup is pretty watered down with the Elite 8 tournament happening in Atlanta this weekend. Plus, team trials for freestyle are next month I believe.

I didn’t think this was worth starting it’s own thread, but Team Sebolt is also traveling down south to wrestle in the Elite 8 duals this weekend. Bringing both Jesuroga’s, Martinson, Kueter and more. Some of the other teams have Cody Chittum, Troy Spratley, The Bouzakis brothers, and more. Streamed on Rokfin.
Hop chittum mingles with Sebolt guys a little :)

Todd Conner started a thread / posted an article about the Elite 8 a week or so ago. FWIW

Nice heads up…forgot about that

Walrath got dominated by #1 seed Aeoden Sinclair from Wisconsin 13-5 in the semis. Sinclair looks very good if we are interested in going after elite recruits. Was only a sophomore last year and tore through the state tournament at 170.

Walrath got dominated by #1 seed Aeoden Sinclair from Wisconsin 13-5 in the semis. Sinclair looks very good if we are interested in going after elite recruits. Was only a sophomore last year and tore through the state tournament at 170.

Also beat Tate Naak this year as well.

That Team Minions will likely dominate. Looks like an all star squad with ringers from multiple states.

The Bill Farrell open is side by side with the National Folkstyle tourney. There should be some good matches this afternoon and tonight.

Reactions: depelland

Don't worry Chief, we can corrupt this thread like all the others . . .

• Haha
Reactions: IAChief32

Tate gets the win in a close one. Scrambling really big late.

Reactions: tigerguy_
Voelker pinned his guy in the finals. I think Iowa dropped the ball here

I don’t think they have ever wrestled each other but I believe if you look at common opponents Franklin has been a step or half step above. Doesn’t mean that will happen in college of course.

Voelker and Garvin both had great weekends. But sometimes it just comes down fit for a guy and a program.

Voelker is in a good spot with the guys in Uni’s room, and Garvin is in a good spot getting out of Iowa. Wish them both well

Reactions: jrod65
Several years back I was a little disappointed Iowa didn't land Carter Isley as a HWT recruit. There can be a fine line between a really good and a great wrestler at the D1 level. It's hard to predict sometimes what will happen when these guys finally get to college. I'm glad the coaches know far more than I when they make assessments like that.

Reactions: MVPFAN
Voelker and Garvin both had great weekends. But sometimes it just comes down fit for a guy and a program.

Voelker is in a good spot with the guys in Uni’s room, and Garvin is in a good spot getting out of Iowa. Wish them both well

It also comes down to evaluation. Think Iowa couldn’t have had Voelker if they wanted/needed? Think again.

They only dropped the ball if he is great in college and we passed on him vs him passing on us. It could end up being a fact but hard to tell at this point.

There's a Frosh/Soph National AAU tournament in Des Moines next weekend as well. My grandson is wrestling for the (a) Iowa team in it. All the best ones must be going to the other tourneys mentioned, because he's not that good. Only his second year wrestling and made Varsity as a Freshman, but not a great record.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT