ADVERTISEMENT

Football Chains????!!

A

anon_ddojbbh8q7xrt

Why is football still using chains?

Its 2021. GPS and tech seems to make “bring out tue chains” pretty archaic and antiquated. For instance, couldn’t there be a tracker in the ball. And GPS somethings on every yard line. Then couldn’t you measure very accurately first downs, TDs etc

There really aren't that many measurements these days. Most first downs are marked on a yard line so they know when a first down is made. Here's another thing. A tracker in the ball wouldn't help. That doesn't tell you when a runner's knee or elbow is down.

Why is football still using chains?

Its 2021. GPS and tech seems to make “bring out tue chains” pretty archaic and antiquated. For instance, couldn’t there be a tracker in the ball. And GPS somethings on every yard line. Then couldn’t you measure very accurately first downs, TDs etc

Four years too late with this take. A visionary had this thought years ago.

Reactions: ANYCHawk
There really aren't that many measurements these days. Most first downs are marked on a yard line so they know when a first down is made. Here's another thing. A tracker in the ball wouldn't help. That doesn't tell you when a runner's knee or elbow is down.

There are still plenty of issues about where the ball is spotted and refs giving a good or bad spot. This would remove the subjectivity

To me, it is all about having a human on the field. Ain't nobody going to trust a computer to tell them the info. A chain gang, we see whether they got the 1st down or not in "analog". All eyes see the result. Umpires/referees, we have a human there to tell us the rulings/calls etc.

I honestly do not believe home plate umps (or chain gangs) will ever be replaced for just that reason. No players or coaches are going to trust something electronic telling them the result. They may hate officials' calls...but there is a whole lot more trust with a human than a machine.

Besides...what happens if the electronics break down during a game? What is the backup? What is the delay with getting the backup system up and running?

BTW, the NFL I believe tried an electronic first down system back in I think the 70's...obviously they never adopted it.

There are still plenty of issues about where the ball is spotted and refs giving a good or bad spot. This would remove the subjectivity

They haven't even perfected the 1st down line on the screen after 23 years. It is still off by a foot sometimes

So we could very accurately determine that the ball has been advanced to an improperly selected first down line,.. Common problem with technology,.. Extreme accuracy in measuring a path to the wrong destination...

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT