ADVERTISEMENT

For a guaranteed national title next year, would you sacrifice the following 10 seasons below .500?

For a guaranteed national title next year, would you sacrifice the following 10 seasons below .500?

• Yes

Votes: 47 44.8%
  • No

Votes: 56 53.3%
  • I'm Not Sure

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I might not have that many years left so I went YES. Although I slightly remember following the 1958 team iirc that was voted #1 by the Football Writers iirc

Reactions: Bobby Loesch
Why, so we can brag about the past while getting embarrassed for 12 weeks a year for 10 years straight.
Stranger Things No GIF by NETFLIX

No, but I also don’t care a lot about a national title….I think more realistic and meaningful is winning BIG championships.

The beer and liquor vendors in the State are all voting Yes to this poll because 10 Years of becoming basically Indiana or Illinois would lead to a lot of self destructive drinking

• Haha
I'll take a championship. I'm 40. Teams like Iowa have a much harder battle in the arms race college football has become. We've got a loyal fanbase. We don't the fertile recruiting ground. We don't have the tradition. And we don't have the ability to ultimately outspend other teams that ALSO have those things.

I've seen some good years. I've seen some bad years. And I've heard about some really bad ones... But people like my dad that still went to games in the dismal years and had fun doing so. I still watch all the games, but I don't follow recruiting anymore. I just don't have the dedication to really be into it outside a dozen Saturdays a year. I'll take a poor decade to have that once in a lifetime season. I feel like the reason I keep watching is that hope and anticipation of it finally happening. Most teams have never won a championship. I'd love to be one that does. .

I'll take a championship. I'm 40. Teams like Iowa have a much harder battle in the arms race college football has become. We've got a loyal fanbase. We don't the fertile recruiting ground. We don't have the tradition. And we don't have the ability to ultimately outspend other teams that ALSO have those things.

I've seen some good years. I've seen some bad years. And I've heard about some really bad ones... But people like my dad that still went to games in the dismal years and had fun doing so. I still watch all the games, but I don't follow recruiting anymore. I just don't have the dedication to really be into it outside a dozen Saturdays a year. I'll take a poor decade to have that once in a lifetime season. I feel like the reason I keep watching is that hope and anticipation of it finally happening. Most teams have never won a championship. I'd love to be one that does. .
PREACH

No. One of the best things, if not the best, of winning a NC is the momentum it gives your program and the chance to elevate it to another level. 10 losing seasons would kill that.

I've mentioned my cousin is an Auburn fan. They won a natty a few years a go. They truly mix in 1 great year with several mediocre years where they get waxed by Alabama (which is absolutely unequivocally unacceptable). He and his fellow Auburn fans are miserable. I remind him he got his "big one". His answer is always "who cares what happened yesterday". The easy answer here is no.

Iowa isn’t a brand name so if they won a national championship, it will be talked about for years while Iowa losing isn’t talked about because they aren’t a name brand. In other words, no one cares about Iowa unless they win it all or spring that occasional upset vs tOSU, Michigan, or PSU. No lead off of sports news by ESPN like Michigan or tOSU, Iowa is an after thought.

Why, so we can brag about the past while getting embarrassed for 12 weeks a year for 10 years straight.
Stranger Things No GIF by NETFLIX

Yeah….I absolutely do not get it. Those yeses tell you a great deal about this board and its bipolar ways.

No chance would that interest me and I’m shocked by those who would. Not surprised, but still shocked. People would laugh you off the year after going 3-9.

Too many people in society live vicariously through other things, sports in particular. It’s stupid…they get their self-esteem by being able to bang their chest and say hey “we”, you know us guys who didn’t play, won a national championship…WTF?!

And then proceeded to suck fur 10 years…GROSS!

And for those self deprecating sad sack, Iowa fans that think we aren’t relevant. I don’t know what you’ve been watching, but we’re talked about constantly…

There is no bad press!

No, I have enjoyed most of the seasons in the KF era. They don’t have to be perfect for me to enjoy watching the team.

10 losing seasons would not be worth it

Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP
Cubs won the World Series in my lifetime. I'm not going to be a greedy Yankees or Cardinals fan and say they need to win it every year. I haven't even worried that much about the last several years of baseball.

If your stipulation about being average or worse for the next decade is limited to the decade and then they become good again, I can live with that.

2024: Natty

2025-2034: A mixture of 5-7's, 4-8's, 3-9's, 2-10's... hell, maybe even an 0-12.

Yay or nay.
Probably not because if we sucked that bad immediately after winning a natty, it probably means we got caught cheating and had to forfeit the natty. Probably like would happen if Michigan won a natty this year

Yeah….I absolutely do not get it. Those yeses tell you a great deal about this board and its bipolar ways.

No chance would that interest me and I’m shocked by those who would. Not surprised, but still shocked. People would laugh you off the year after going 3-9.

Too many people in society live vicariously through other things, sports in particular. It’s stupid…they get their self-esteem by being able to bang their chest and say hey “we”, you know us guys who didn’t play, won a national championship…WTF?!

And then proceeded to suck fur 10 years…GROSS!

And for those self deprecating sad sack, Iowa fans that think we aren’t relevant. I don’t know what you’ve been watching, but we’re talked about constantly…

There is no bad press!
100% agree. Can you imagine this board after a couple of those losing seasons?
Ryan Reynolds Want GIF

Reactions: cmhawks99
100% agree. Can you imagine this board after a couple of those losing seasons?
Ryan Reynolds Want GIF

No…because I won’t be here. I’d stick around long enough to remind the haters, they got what they wished for a couple hundred times and then I’d be onto the final stages of not “caring” about sports anymore….a long time dream of mine 😊

Fun premise for beer talk but it's a virtual impossibility. No program good enough to win a NC would drop that far for so long.

No, especially right afterwards, but from 89-94 LSU was 4-7, 5-6,5-6,2-9,5-6 & 4-7…

OU….had one 9-3 season sandwiched between 5 other .500 or sun .500s in the 90s….

Absolutely yes. To be able to witness a championship would be unbelievable. We can make fun of our neighbors but at my age I could have witnessed 5 of them. To be young and a Georgia fan would be great right now. The view from the top would be worth 10 years of mediocrity.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT