ADVERTISEMENT

For all you Brian Haters

If we had an awesome offense and terrible defense we'd probably be .500 too.
The offense hasn't been very good lately. Its pretty much impossible to
This "hater" crap is so lame. It's hard to believe how intellectually bankrupt this society has become. Don't like how so and so does their job? You must be a hater. Think that someone is less than effective and that better options exist? You must be hater.

Give me a fu#%king break. Criticism, well constructed or not, isn't a reflection of hatred. The use of critical thinking skills doesn't automatically infer a hatred of someone or something. Anti-semitism is hate. Criticism of the people responsible for one of the worst offenses in college football isn't.
Absolutely. So much fragility. I'd take it a step further and say wanting to see improvement and solid performance in all 3 phases from the program you've been behind long before KF was named head coach is the exact opposite of hate. The haters support a team from Ames, IA and other big ten institutions

No I don't. But just because I want BF gone doesn't mean I want KF gone. I'm a realist I know he won't get rid of his son and we are unfortunately stuck with him most likely till he retires.
Does football have the position that maintains high pay but takes away duties? You see it in companies, where they don't want to fire someone so they just kind of move them and put them in charge of not much and maintain their pay and they hire someone to backfill.

Does football have the position that maintains high pay but takes away duties? You see it in companies, where they don't want to fire someone so they just kind of move them and put them in charge of not much and maintain their pay and they hire someone to backfill.
See Nebraska.

just to counterpoint the circle jerk of hatred

Iowa's record with Offense Coordinators:

Ken O'Keefe (13 seasons)
96-66
59% win percentage

Greg Davis (5 seasons)
39-26
60% win percentage

Brian Ferentz (5 seasons)
43-18
70% win percentage

---------------

if you don't like these 3 guys... you don't like Iowa Hawkeye football.
I'm a big fan of the Pro Style Offense
and I'm a big fan of Brian Ferentz.

"He was officially promoted to tight ends coach in 2011; that season, the Patriots' tight end duo of Aaron Hernandez and Rob Gronkowski set NFL records for receptions, yards, and touchdowns by tight ends, and Gronkowski became the first tight end in NFL history to lead the league in touchdown receptions."

in 2012 Brian Ferentz took over as O-Line coach for the Hawkeyes..
and in 2015 Iowa won the Joe Moore award for best offensive line in college football.

now.. Iowa has won 10 games 2 of the last 3 seasons.
and imo, it would be 3 straight 10 win season if it were not for ... well, you know.

but regardless... that's 3 straight seasons winning 70+% of the games played.
the last time this was accomplished was from 2002 - 2004

which btw... is when Brian Ferentz played on the Offensive Line for the Iowa Hawkeyes.

the man is a legend who is building his legend year after year
should the Iowa Hawkeyes win the Big Ten Championship game this year.
he's the next Head Coach... no question about it.

and Iowa elevates to a new level on the National scene..
this isn't politics.. as some of you suppose.. this is football... its a game
and the Iowa Hawkeyes are the team you root for.
so why not look at the positives?

imagine going through life always looking at the negatives
how miserable that must be
Offense didn't have a lot to do with those win percentages.

While I agree with you in general you are wrong in this specific case. There is a small cadre of extremely vocal and demented posters that do hate KF, BF and anything associated with them. They obsessively post attacks on KF and BF. Not criticisms, personal attacks that range from juvenile and stupid snark to accusations of all manner of personal misconduct. They post it on virtually every football topic. They post it in probably most basketball threads. Certainly a lot of basketball threads.

Repeatedly, and often viciously attacking people goes way past criticism. Indeed, obsessively posting the same redundant attacks several times a day, every day is itself a manifestation of hatred. The desire to just beat up the same people day after day for years is pretty much the operational definition of hatred.

There is a point where criticism, even fair criticism, becomes abusive. I don't know what you do for a living so let's say you are a retail/household plumber. If I and say 10 other people went to FB and Yelp, every day for years, and said Jonesy is a shitty plumber, a complete incompetent that is trying to destroy your home plumbing and his #2 guy is so inept he shouldn't even get paid. Every day. For years, I never miss a chance to voice my criticism. After a point wouldn't you think I hated you? Not just pissed about the toilet you didn't fix but actually I see you as the problem.​

That is what actual personal malice looks like. People can and do try to justify it and hell, some of these guys could probably pass a lie detector if asked are Iowa fans. But the constant repetition of the same attacks tells a very different and much more accurate story.
Demented? (cringe)

Reactions: CarterHall
I'm sorry if my response was a vicious attack in your eyes.

If you can't handle certain posters then just ignore them and move on. Problem solved. The majority support KF. He makes over $5M a year and is rarely challenged by the local media. If his most vicious critics are some anonymous message board posters then I think he's going to be fine.
I might have of overreacted just a tad.

Although "if his most vicious critics are some anonymous message board posters then I think he's going to be fine" is true it doesn't mean the actual Ferentz haters don't exist, just they're trivial. On which point we agree.

Reactions: pocha444444
Agreed, but it seems like there’s now a huge drop off after them, unfortunately
We don't know that to be true. Rags is the only one we've seen play and he's better than average.

It's a very young position. There are several high potential options so a couple should work out. Everything we've heard out of the leaky camp says Vines is really good. My last remaining peeps down there say Wick really is a very good receiver that will surprise everyone.

So we don't know the room is weak. The lack of depth is concerning but the top end is really good and there might be some unknowns that surprise.

Average 24 points against power 5 teams with a Heartbeat, not named Maryland or Kent state.

Actually put up a fight against "Good" teams like Michigan, Ohio st, etc...

And burry Purdue!!

Holy shit. Those Brian numbers are ridiculously bad. 88 is his best year. Greg Davis was rightfully fired for basically having the same numbers. It’s year 6. It’s time to do something.
Davis just retired. Kirk has no standards when it comes to offense other than maybe turnovers, OC is an unfireable position at Iowa for performance clearly. Just mind blowing stubbornness and ineptitude on that side of the ball. Kirk is very lucky Phil is as loyal as he is

As I posted earlier, pace is incredibly important. Imagine trying to compare Iowa's offense in basketball to Wisconsin just using total points. It would make no sense.
Absolutely ... I didn't read your post until after I posted. Our points are entirely complementary to one another.

Hell, when some of the folks here complain about us running the ball on 2nd and 10 after an incompletion ... they're not accounting for the fact that the O is still trying to bleed something from the clock. The whole problem with passing too much ... particularly with low-percentage passes ... is that no time goes off the clock. The absolutely nemesis to our bend-but-not-break D would be an O that too frequently goes 3 and out ... particularly those resulting from three straight incompletions.

Absolutely ... I didn't read your post until after I posted. Our points are entirely complementary to one another.

Hell, when some of the folks here complain about us running the ball on 2nd and 10 after an incompletion ... they're not accounting for the fact that the O is still trying to bleed something from the clock. The whole problem with passing too much ... particularly with low-percentage passes ... is that no time goes off the clock. The absolutely nemesis to our bend-but-not-break D would be an O that too frequently goes 3 and out ... particularly those resulting from three straight incompletions.
That's a good point. There are a number of stats that should indicate whether the offense is doing a good job of complementing the defense. I think average yards per play, first downs per possession, percentage of 3 and out possessions, and red zone TD conversion rates are all excellent indicators of whether the offense is effective in this role or not. We know red zone offense and average yards per play were both among the worst in FBS, but what about first downs and 3 and outs? Like you said, 3 and outs are killers for the defense. Are those available?

Reactions: mooresville hawk

The goal should be getting a 1st down not milk the clock. If that is reason why to run over 80% of the time that's a big red flag in our strategic philosophy. Especially when like last year our 3rd conversion % was so low causing so many 3 and outs. So that nemesis you speak of our D still had to overcome even when we ran it over throwing it on 2nd and 10 so much.

If you want to bleed the clock...you need to move the chains

Too many like the Big 12 style of trying to score 45 and still lose. But hey it was "fun" to watch.

Sure we want it all and we will complain for the next 4 or 5 years until Kirk is done. And then probably a few years after he is gone we will fondly remember the Kirk years like we did Hayden.
Are you dumb enough to think people disappointed with our recent offense, have also been disappointed for 23 straight years??

Lmao

Sheesh

The goal should be getting a 1st down not milk the clock. If that is reason why to run over 80% of the time that's a big red flag in our strategic philosophy. Especially when like last year our 3rd conversion % was so low causing so many 3 and outs. So that nemesis you speak of our D still had to overcome even when we ran it over throwing it on 2nd and 10 so much.

If you want to bleed the clock...you need to move the chains
Good lord - do honestly believe that when a run-play is called on 2nd and 10 that the intent isn't towards ALSO working towards getting a first down (and moving the chains)?

Iowa is a play-action team ... so that is still predicated upon establishing the TENDENCY of running the ball, particularly on early downs. Consequently, when you break tendency - you attempt to do so with surgical precision.

On any given play, there are likely a bunch of different considerations.
- They want to possess the ball ... they achieve that simply by having there be no clock stoppages.
- They want to move the chains ... so part of that is attempting to either stay on schedule (in terms of down and distance) OR try to get BACK on schedule. Consequently, I'm sure that the desired outcome is for the O to AT LEAST gain their average on any called run play ... thus, the ideal would be for a 2nd and 10 run play to at least gain around 4 to 5 yards. The result being a 3rd and 5 or 6 ... which is a much more makable 3rd down situation.
- Also there is a flow or logic to a succession of play-calls. The point isn't simply to be unpredictable and catch the defense guessing. You call plays to probe how the D responds. You call plays to set things up based upon HOW the defense responds.
- They also want to develop the OL to the point where the unit CAN exert their will on the opposition. When Iowa is blocking well ... it can be hard to prevent the Hawks from getting their 4 to 5 yards per run. That level of play doesn't occur out of vacuum - it needs to be built. The whole offensive unit needs the experience in order to learn from their successes and failures.

So often a play is unsuccessful, NOT because it was a bad play ... but because there was failure in execution. A guy missed a block ... a runner missed a crease ... the center or QB missed a read and didn't get the line set up correctly based upon what the D was showing ... etc. If the same play is called again and the execution improves ... what once appeared as a bad play becomes a "good play." Furthermore, you hopefully realize that from practice - the coaches ALREADY have a feeling for what plays the guys execution consistently and which ones they don't. Coaches typically hone things down to just what the O has demonstrated that they can execute well (or, at least with some consistency).

What are the metrics you will accept as quality performance from the offense. How many ppp/ypp etc..?
Hard to answer with exact numbers, but I'd say doing better than being in the bottom 10-20% of the nation in pretty much all offensive categories would be a good start. Can we at least get to middle of the pack?

I get the talk about KF's philosophy, but folks seem to forget that KOK and even GD were also limited by the same philosophy (this was the narrative when O'Keefe and Davis were our OCs as well) and often produced offenses that were not as bad as the ones we've had under BF. I don't have the stats in front of me and I don't feel like putting it all together, but I know this has been laid out before. Edit: I see someone did it above.

BF's offenses have been just as bad (worse, typically) than his predecessors. I don't have anything against the guy, but he needs to get something figured out, or not be our OC. Since he won't be getting removed from that position, I guess it needs to be the former.

Last edited:
Good lord - do honestly believe that when a run-play is called on 2nd and 10 that the intent isn't towards ALSO working towards getting a first down (and moving the chains)?

Iowa is a play-action team ... so that is still predicated upon establishing the TENDENCY of running the ball, particularly on early downs. Consequently, when you break tendency - you attempt to do so with surgical precision.

On any given play, there are likely a bunch of different considerations.
- They want to possess the ball ... they achieve that simply by having there be no clock stoppages.
- They want to move the chains ... so part of that is attempting to either stay on schedule (in terms of down and distance) OR try to get BACK on schedule. Consequently, I'm sure that the desired outcome is for the O to AT LEAST gain their average on any called run play ... thus, the ideal would be for a 2nd and 10 run play to at least gain around 4 to 5 yards. The result being a 3rd and 5 or 6 ... which is a much more makable 3rd down situation.
- Also there is a flow or logic to a succession of play-calls. The point isn't simply to be unpredictable and catch the defense guessing. You call plays to probe how the D responds. You call plays to set things up based upon HOW the defense responds.
- They also want to develop the OL to the point where the unit CAN exert their will on the opposition. When Iowa is blocking well ... it can be hard to prevent the Hawks from getting their 4 to 5 yards per run. That level of play doesn't occur out of vacuum - it needs to be built. The whole offensive unit needs the experience in order to learn from their successes and failures.

So often a play is unsuccessful, NOT because it was a bad play ... but because there was failure in execution. A guy missed a block ... a runner missed a crease ... the center or QB missed a read and didn't get the line set up correctly based upon what the D was showing ... etc. If the same play is called again and the execution improves ... what once appeared as a bad play becomes a "good play." Furthermore, you hopefully realize that from practice - the coaches ALREADY have a feeling for what plays the guys execution consistently and which ones they don't. Coaches typically hone things down to just what the O has demonstrated that they can execute well (or, at least with some consistency).
Good lord...do you honestly expect to gain 5yds on 2nd and 10 when the opponent knows you're running it? Maybe vs an inferior opponent

Good lord...do you honestly expect to gain 5yds on 2nd and 10 when the opponent knows you're running it? Maybe vs an inferior opponent
Correct. You can only achieve that consistently if you have a really high quality running game are able to physically impose your will on your opponent. Otherwise simply "out executing" your opponent is not a consistently viable option. I wish I knew what percentage of stretch runs resulted in negative yardage last year.

At least 60 chews per minute.
rookie-numbers.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Ree4
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT