ADVERTISEMENT

For all you Brian Haters

Good lord...do you honestly expect to gain 5yds on 2nd and 10 when the opponent knows you're running it? Maybe vs an inferior opponent
Were we not speaking about intent? You were suggesting that the intent of a play should be towards getting a first down.

A well executed play ... even a running play on 2nd 10, has that very intent. It's absurd that you'd think that the coaches wouldn't intend that.

Opponents know that Air Force and Navy will run it pretty much every down ... does that stop them? When their teams are executing ... they can be tough to stop.

Also, even if the opponent anticipates that you're going to run it ... that is why historically the Iowa QB has so much responsibility and options at his disposal. An Iowa QB was typically given a host of plays or checks to make based upon what the D is presenting. When an Iowa QB was a noob ... the options would be made more simple (likely related more to hat-counting - thereby dictating which SIDE of the LOS the play would go). However, as the QB gains experience, there are more options ... thus, it was the responsibility of the QB to get the O into the "right play" based upon what the D was showing.

Consequently, Iowa's O had a mechanism in place to deal with the scenario that you describe. However, for there to be success ... the added complexity obviously adds more "moving parts" ... possibly adding more failure-modes. The QB needs to make the correct recognitions. The QB needs to have an understanding for how the opponents likes to disguise things. The whole offensive unit has to have good communication and make sure they're on the same page. On top of all that - the execution, of course, has to be there too.

There is a reason why Ferentz always talks about how the O always has "moving parts" as it relates to performance and execution (on O).

Reactions: F5n5
Were we not speaking about intent? You were suggesting that the intent of a play should be towards getting a first down.

A well executed play ... even a running play on 2nd 10, has that very intent. It's absurd that you'd think that the coaches wouldn't intend that.

Opponents know that Air Force and Navy will run it pretty much every down ... does that stop them? When their teams are executing ... they can be tough to stop.

Also, even if the opponent anticipates that you're going to run it ... that is why historically the Iowa QB has so much responsibility and options at his disposal. An Iowa QB was typically given a host of plays or checks to make based upon what the D is presenting. When an Iowa QB was a noob ... the options would be made more simple (likely related more to hat-counting - thereby dictating which SIDE of the LOS the play would go). However, as the QB gains experience, there are more options ... thus, it was the responsibility of the QB to get the O into the "right play" based upon what the D was showing.

Consequently, Iowa's O had a mechanism in place to deal with the scenario that you describe. However, for there to be success ... the added complexity obviously adds more "moving parts" ... possibly adding more failure-modes. The QB needs to make the correct recognitions. The QB needs to have an understanding for how the opponents likes to disguise things. The whole offensive unit has to have good communication and make sure they're on the same page. On top of all that - the execution, of course, has to be there too.

There is a reason why Ferentz always talks about how the O always has "moving parts" as it relates to performance and execution (on O).
Air force and navy dont play many good teams. They also offer an offense that many teams aren't used to preparing for. Either way, they aren't gonna torch many quality teams.

So now you're giving us more reasons Spencer shouldn't be playing because it his fault not Brian's??

Good lord - do honestly believe that when a run-play is called on 2nd and 10 that the intent isn't towards ALSO working towards getting a first down (and moving the chains)?

Iowa is a play-action team ... so that is still predicated upon establishing the TENDENCY of running the ball, particularly on early downs. Consequently, when you break tendency - you attempt to do so with surgical precision.

On any given play, there are likely a bunch of different considerations.
- They want to possess the ball ... they achieve that simply by having there be no clock stoppages.
- They want to move the chains ... so part of that is attempting to either stay on schedule (in terms of down and distance) OR try to get BACK on schedule. Consequently, I'm sure that the desired outcome is for the O to AT LEAST gain their average on any called run play ... thus, the ideal would be for a 2nd and 10 run play to at least gain around 4 to 5 yards. The result being a 3rd and 5 or 6 ... which is a much more makable 3rd down situation.
- Also there is a flow or logic to a succession of play-calls. The point isn't simply to be unpredictable and catch the defense guessing. You call plays to probe how the D responds. You call plays to set things up based upon HOW the defense responds.
- They also want to develop the OL to the point where the unit CAN exert their will on the opposition. When Iowa is blocking well ... it can be hard to prevent the Hawks from getting their 4 to 5 yards per run. That level of play doesn't occur out of vacuum - it needs to be built. The whole offensive unit needs the experience in order to learn from their successes and failures.

So often a play is unsuccessful, NOT because it was a bad play ... but because there was failure in execution. A guy missed a block ... a runner missed a crease ... the center or QB missed a read and didn't get the line set up correctly based upon what the D was showing ... etc. If the same play is called again and the execution improves ... what once appeared as a bad play becomes a "good play." Furthermore, you hopefully realize that from practice - the coaches ALREADY have a feeling for what plays the guys execution consistently and which ones they don't. Coaches typically hone things down to just what the O has demonstrated that they can execute well (or, at least with some consistency).
Well towards your part when you run it 83% of the time as Iowa did last year and the success rate was garbage maybe, just maybe you should stop trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. As for the rest of your post usual tl;dr

Last edited:
Reactions: Ronman
Well towards your part when you run it 83% of the time as Iowa did last year and the success rate was garbage maybe, just maybe you should stop trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. As for the rest of your post usual tl;dr
If you assume that the 65 rushes by the QBs were mostly scrambles/broken passing plays, then it's only about 66%. Still too much IMHO but no where near 83%.

While I agree with you in general you are wrong in this specific case. There is a small cadre of extremely vocal and demented posters that do hate KF, BF and anything associated with them. They obsessively post attacks on KF and BF. Not criticisms, personal attacks that range from juvenile and stupid snark to accusations of all manner of personal misconduct. They post it on virtually every football topic. They post it in probably most basketball threads. Certainly a lot of basketball threads.

Repeatedly, and often viciously attacking people goes way past criticism. Indeed, obsessively posting the same redundant attacks several times a day, every day is itself a manifestation of hatred. The desire to just beat up the same people day after day for years is pretty much the operational definition of hatred.

There is a point where criticism, even fair criticism, becomes abusive. I don't know what you do for a living so let's say you are a retail/household plumber. If I and say 10 other people went to FB and Yelp, every day for years, and said Jonesy is a shitty plumber, a complete incompetent that is trying to destroy your home plumbing and his #2 guy is so inept he shouldn't even get paid. Every day. For years, I never miss a chance to voice my criticism. After a point wouldn't you think I hated you? Not just pissed about the toilet you didn't fix but actually I see you as the problem.​

That is what actual personal malice looks like. People can and do try to justify it and hell, some of these guys could probably pass a lie detector if asked are Iowa fans. But the constant repetition of the same attacks tells a very different and much more accurate story.
You work for CNN, NBC,ABC,CBS?

I think it's unfair to use any metric of total yard percentile ranking when discussing the Iowa offense. With the style of play we use (bend but dont break defense and slow methodical ball control offense) we are already at a big disadvantage compared to those that dont. It says nothing about efficiency. Look at Nebraska, always high in total yards between the 20s but cant win games. It's all about efficiency. Reminds me of Wisconsin basketball, slow methodical, plodding offense but is still very effective.

Points per possession/drive should be the biggest statistic that matters for us. It's the "complimentary football" that Kirk talks about repeatedly. I think almost every other stat can be thrown out the window (especially yards per game, passing/rushing/total etc.) We were not good at all last year (104th) and that is unacceptable. This absolutely needs to improve. At least our defense ranked 9th though!

This is an awesome tool and answers a lot of questions. Some of the best questions regarding the Iowa offense involve its role in Kirk's overall game management philosophy and how to measure its relative contributions to the team's success. Stats like overall opponents adjusted offensive efficiency go far beyond scoring and carve out the impact of pace and emphasis on ball control that we all know Kirk prefers.

Iowa ranked 90th in overall opponents adjusted offensive efficiency last year. It has dropped every year for the past 3 years (41, 53, 64, 90).

Iowa ranked 111 in gaining at least 1 first down per possession (62%).

Iowa ranked 88 in drives that ended with zero or negative yards (13%).

In short, the offense was really bad last year and it was anything but complimentary. Suggesting otherwise is putting lipstick on a pig.

Last edited:
tl;dr is the signature of an impoverished intellect - hopefully your actual attention span is better than that

tl;dr is the signature of an impoverished intellect - hopefully your actual attention span is better than that
Homer first of all I respect that you know a lot about football and particularly Iowa football, and have a lot to say. The only thing I might suggest is that you lean more towards substantive facts in aguing a point. You and a few others spend a whole lot of time trying to convince others why they should reconsider their opinions but little on objective facts to support why they should. You say pace impacts Iowa's numbers but then provide no pace adjusted statistics to validate your claims. This results in long drawn out dissertations about things we already know. Some objective facts/statistics to go along with it would be great and maybe shorten your comments.

Is Petras BF's love child? Seriously, looks like him and talks like him...

iu
iu

Don’t hate BF at all. I just know he’s in over his head and it’s obvious to most. I don’t think it’s asking too much for our offense to rank in the upper half of division 1 football instead of the bottom 10%.
But our defense is too good for that to be possible!

:)

Don’t hate BF at all. I just know he’s in over his head and it’s obvious to most. I don’t think it’s asking too much for our offense to rank in the upper half of division 1 football instead of the bottom 10%.
I always love that when some pundit says "it's obvious to most". It usually means just the opposite of that.

Reactions: F5n5
Or maybe you don't always have to type novels and dissertations when trying defend BF and his offense. All your long winded responses is like putting lipstick on a pig trying to justify the ineptness.
I'm not defending Brian at all here. It's just that some fans don't seem to understand the philosophical underpinnings of Iowa's O. Without that base understanding, folks are misconstruing SOME of what they observe.

As many have stated ... the O last year was abysmal, as measured by ANY metric.

No doubt, EVERYONE needs to improve - and Brian is definitely included in that group.

Homer first of all I respect that you know a lot about football and particularly Iowa football, and have a lot to say. The only thing I might suggest is that you lean more towards substantive facts in aguing a point. You and a few others spend a whole lot of time trying to convince others why they should reconsider their opinions but little on objective facts to support why they should. You say pace impacts Iowa's numbers but then provide no pace adjusted statistics to validate your claims. This results in long drawn out dissertations about things we already know. Some objective facts/statistics to go along with it would be great and maybe shorten your comments.
Numbers/statistics themselves are vacuous without context.

My, sometimes excessive, prose attempts to lend context.

As you may have read before - I am a theoretical physicist (and educator) by trade. Equations and frameworks are typically objects of syntax ... and the most important feature of them is their interpretation (i.e. their semantic).

What good are the numbers, if people cannot understand the context?

Reactions: Ree4
That makes perfect sense and is quite reasonable, but it's easier for some to toss around pop culture cliches like "hater" rather than deal with a point intelligently. If your argument is weak...create an emotional component to obfuscate.

"It's easy to grin...when your ship comes in...and you got the stock market beat...but a man worth while...is the man who can smile...when his shorts aren't too tight in the seat."
Love the Caddy Shack references! Just saw it again this weekend. My wife doesn't understand why I think that is such a great movie.

Reactions: rfgiowa
No reason Iowa can’t have a good defense AND a good offense. It’s not either/or.
We could likely list a few of the obvious ones; however, with the O-line recruiting and player development it amazes me that this hasn't been accomplished.

Assume you are using a bit of hyperbole. I believe the stats show an average of 65 offensive plays per game and 28.9 passing and 36.1 plays per game average running, thus about a 44% pass vs. 56% run.

Funny I sees posts like this and then have people argue the exact opposite in basketball.
Different sport. People aren't trying to take each other's heads off in basketball. I used to love watching NBA basketball when tough defense was allowed to be played. Not any more.

I'm not defending Brian at all here. It's just that some fans don't seem to understand the philosophical underpinnings of Iowa's O. Without that base understanding, folks are misconstruing SOME of what they observe.

As many have stated ... the O last year was abysmal, as measured by ANY metric.

No doubt, EVERYONE needs to improve - and Brian is definitely included in that group.
The offense is NOT difficult.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15

Assume you are using a bit of hyperbole. I believe the stats show an average of 65 offensive plays per game and 28.9 passing and 36.1 plays per game average running, thus about a 44% pass vs. 56% run.

Yeah ... I wasn't aware of where those number came by. If the poster was referring to run vs pass on 2nd down ... the number DID sound believable. I just don't know the source of those stats (if that is what they were).

Having great special teams to at least get three during those dry endzone runs has masked the severity of that problem a bit.
Shudak was fantastic last year and we are going to see a drop off most likely. Missed 4 kicks last year and the only 2 under 40 were in 2 bad losses to Purdue and Michigan missed chip shots minus that he made some clutch kicks in close games. Not only that but from distance going 11-13 from 40+ and one of the misses was due to the botched snap vs ISU. ILL game both he and their K making multiple long FGs. Nebraska game those weren't easy kicks and in the ISU game after Benson's int we got sacked on 3rd down and he drilled a 51yd fg right down the middle. He misses that ISU could've gotten some momentum back.

Shudak was fantastic last year and we are going to see a drop off most likely. Missed 4 kicks last year and the only 2 under 40 were in 2 bad losses to Purdue and Michigan missed chip shots minus that he made some clutch kicks in close games. Not only that but from distance going 11-13 from 40+ and one of the misses was due to the botched snap vs ISU. ILL game both he and their K making multiple long FGs. Nebraska game those weren't easy kicks and in the ISU game after Benson's int we got sacked on 3rd down and he drilled a 51yd fg right down the middle. He misses that ISU could've gotten some momentum back.
Agree here. Kicking game was huge last year. And if our offense doesn’t improve much that part of our game is very very important.

Reactions: kceasthawk

Agree here. Kicking game was huge last year. And if our offense doesn’t improve much that part of our game is very very important.
Yep ... agreed. Placekicking won us games last year. For '22 ... it could potentially cost us games.

Of course, in the past, when our kicking was a little on the weaker side ... we went for it on 4th down more often ... and, IIRC, that strategy is backed by analytics as equating to more points.

At LEAST 400 yards total offense per game. That would be the bare minimum. Anything below that I think it is time for him to go.

Given the responsibility put on the QB (at least prior to the '22 season) ... there was a lot put on the QB.
QB and C are the 2 toughest positions on offense for any team. As well there's always a lot put on the QB, regardless of which team you play for. To me it's the OC that is at fault if the offense is "too complex" and that OC has done it for 4 years with no improvement. The OC's before the current one didn't seem to reinvent the wheel either, zone blocking is our staple has been since day 1 of KF's era.

At LEAST 400 yards total offense per game. That would be the bare minimum. Anything below that I think it is time for him to go.
By no means a Junior supporter, but the core problem is Senior's crap Offensive scheme.
Abysmal offensive national rankings don't lie.
Wasting Phil & LeVar's outstanding performances year after year.
Let the Ferentzi Apologists (FAs) descend en masse!

• Haha
Reactions: BBHawk
By no means a Junior supporter, but the core problem is Senior's crap Offensive scheme.
Abysmal offensive national rankings don't lie.
Wasting Phil & LeVar's outstanding performances year after year.
Let the Ferentzi Apologists (FAs) descend en masse!
Funny shit. So Kirk hits on 2 of the 3, but Kirk is STUPID!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT