ADVERTISEMENT

For anyone who refs basketball (or is conversant with the rules), is slapping a pad under the hoop in frustration with oneself a technical foul?

Tenacious E

HB Legend
Dec 4, 2001
I will be honest I never really understood when technical fouls should be called. I mean, I get taunting or showing up/cursing at a ref, but when one has an outburst at oneself, is that a technical foul? If so, what rises to that level? I can see spiking the basketball because it slows game play down. But slapping a pad under the basket when it is your own possession?

I will be honest I never really understood when technical fouls should be called. I mean, I get taunting or showing up/cursing at a ref, but when one has an outburst at oneself, is that a technical foul? If so, what rises to that level? I can see spiking the basketball because it slows game play down. But slapping a pad under the basket when it is your own possession?
A lot of times it is a judgement call and refs can not have thin skin. They could call technicals on a lot of plays throughout a game, but they usually don’t. It’s much like an umpire throwing a player out in baseball. The umpires need to have confidence in their calls and ignore much of what is said. If an official is that thin skinned, they need to find another profession. I umpired baseball and softball for years and never threw a player out of a game because I was either confident I made the right call, so I ignored the complaints, or I knew I missed the call and I deserved the complaints. If the ref had that big of a problem with what Clark did, he should have just told her to calm down.

Reactions: Tenacious E
I know there has been a ton of complaints about the referees, particularly when CC22 was being mugged 90 feet every play of every game. Alot of that subsided once CC22 founder footing. However, in yesterday's game, the ref's were complete garbage and may have just gotten tired of CC22's "chirping".

Reactions: Tenacious E
That "T" was just another bullshit call by a bullshit bunch of "officials." The WNBA should be embarrassed about a lot of things, but the horrendous officiating should be at the top of the list. Caitlin said the official told her the T was called because hitting the padding "was disrespectful to the game of basketball." LOL

What's really disrespectful to the game of basketball is the bullshit officiating. CC gets mugged all the way down the floor, no call. Sure. That's basketball all right. CC gets whacked going in for a lay-up. No call. Very respectful of the game. CC makes a clean block at the other end, FOUL! Nice respect for the game.

The officials in all sports do whatever the hell they want and are NEVER held accountable. You'd think they were fat orange guys running for some political office . . . And no, it was and never will be a fair catch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT