ADVERTISEMENT

For Biden, Iowa was a leading supplier of gut punches

cigaretteman

HB King
May 29, 2001
If Joe Biden writes his memoirs, I doubt there will be a glowing chapter on Iowa. For the president, the state is a four-letter word.

To be sure, Biden has a lot of friends and loyal supporters in Iowa. But he’s unlikely to remember us fondly as he ends his long political career.

That doesn’t mean top Iowa Democrats aren’t thankful for his brave decision to end his presidential run in the face of concerns about his age and abilities.

Gratitude was the theme of the day as the drama unfolded Sunday.

“After decades of service to our country, President Biden’s selfless decision to step aside is a courageous, final act of patriotism that puts America first,” state Sen Zach Wahls in a statement. “This profound act of leadership demonstrates his unwavering commitment to the future of our nation, the principles of democracy, and that recognizes the urgency of this moment.”

In another statement, Iowa House Democratic Leader Jenifer Konfrst said, “ My thanks to President Biden for his service to our country during an extremely difficult time in our nation’s history. His record creating jobs, cutting health care costs, and helping our economy recover is one of the strongest in modern history.”

“What truly sets the President apart is his heart. Many Iowans, including myself, have heard from Joe personally when tragedy struck our lives. He always made time for people.” said Iowa Senate Democratic Leader Pam Jochum.

And yet, for Biden, Iowa was the nation’s leading supplier of gut punches.

Biden ran for president three times before the campaign he ended Sunday. Iowa Democrats never really warmed up to the prospect of a President Biden.

In 1987, Biden was caught cribbing his words and speaking style from British Labour Party leader Neil Kinnock, including during a debate at the Iowa State Fair. (I was a teenager in the audience.) Plagiarism allegations snowballed and Biden dropped out.

He ran again in the 2008 cycle, but finished fifth in Iowa, far behind Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton and John Edwards. He dropped out of the race the next day.

Even after serving two terms as Obama’s vice president, Iowans still were not enamored with Biden. In 2020, Biden finished fourth in the caucuses, behind Pete Buttigieg, Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren. Amy Klobuchar was on his heels.

The New York Times called it a “damaging blow” to his hopes.

“I am not going to sugarcoat it,” Biden said of his Iowa performance. “We took a gut punch in Iowa.”

But Biden staged a comeback in South Carolina, righted the ship and won the nomination.

Then, he returned all the gut punches by dealing a knockout blow to Iowa’s first-in-the-nation Democratic caucuses. South Carolina would go first in a new Democratic primary calendar he championed.

Iowa would, well, hopefully go away.

But hey, wouldn’t you know it, Biden won the diminished mail-in 2024 Iowa caucuses. Check it off his bucket list. He had no real competition, but still.

Biden has endorsed Vice President Kamala Harris, who ended her own 2020 presidential bid long before caucusgoers gathered in their precincts.

Now, Iowa is solidly red Trump country. We’ll wave as Harris flies over us.

(319) 398-8262; todd.dorman@thegazette.com

So is he saying that Iowans could sniff out the BS until the rest of the country gave in, or that we're a bunch of inbred hicks that don't know a good politician when we see one? I mean, it almost seems like he was giving a compliment to the 80's and 00's Iowans, but Todd doesn't do that.

Dropping Iowa from first in the nation was just petty. A level of judgement equal to his border policy.

• Haha
Reactions: peacehawk
Dropping Iowa from first in the nation was just petty. A level of judgement equal to his border policy.
Weird take.

Mississippi North isn't a very good indicator of national politics. Other than tradition, no good reason.

Weird take.

Mississippi North isn't a very good indicator of national politics. Other than tradition, no good reason.
I'm noticing a trend where everything can be justified by how shitty something is and you have zero ability to point at something and say "let's build that".

I've shared my scratches in knuckles mantra, now I will share another WDDT Mantra "any idiot with a hammer can destroy something, it takes intelligence to build something"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT