ADVERTISEMENT

For my Catholics out there

Never been to a Latin mass. About 10 years ago there was somewhere in the Waterloo/CF area that did one once a month.

Never been to a Latin mass. About 10 years ago there was somewhere in the Waterloo/CF area that did one once a month.
About 20-25 years ago really old people in the Waterloo/CF area had to point at their tongue if they wanted their body of Christ the old fashioned way. And nobody was worried about Latin.

When my now wife and I were making wedding plans almost 30 years we were going to be married in a very old, traditional Catholic Church in St. Louis. The priest there was an old guy who still did a Latin mass there every Sunday. We thought it would unique to have the Mass during our wedding ceremony done in Latin as our parents, grand parents, aunts and uncles would all be in attendance and grew up with Latin masses.

Prior to making that decision we went to a Latin mass there one Sunday and realized what a pain in the ass that would be for not only our non catholic family and friends, but even our catholic family members. We had no idea what was being said or what was happening, and we grew up going to mass every Sunday.

The best argument against Latin mass is that it’s a dead language with unclear pronunciation. Linguists have tried to figure out how it was spoken by looking to Romanian and other closely tied languages, but the truth is we don’t know.

Priests could be up there mispronouncing words for all we know.

Last edited:
Never done a Latin Mass that I can remember. I could say The Sign of the Cross in Latin, but probably not much more.

Latin Mass. I know most of you don't do this, but why does this movement exist and why won't these freaks let it die? Learn Spanish if you want to be useful to the Church.

Do you go to Mass? I thought you were lapsed.

Before gas prices were a million bucks a gallon, I'd often drive 50 miles round trip to attend the Latin Mass.

I find it more reverent than the New Mass. It's more serene. I like the incense, too.

CSB.

Except for the whole abortion-supporting thing.
You have to remember that he is supposed to be an American before he is a Catholic, as I am too. JFK went through this same kind of filtering process 60 years ago. He did not work for the Pope.

As Catholics, we are against abortion, but if we hold political office, it is not, nor should not, be our religious beliefs which guide us. If we were Muslims, would the majority of Americans want us to follow Sharia law?

I think that is referred to as something about not establishing a religious state, as there are those who do not agree with Catholicism's religious views. Am I wrong? Are you a Catholic?

Where do you fall in these views? Do your religious beliefs fall before other's non-Catholicism religious views? Or, do you believe that your religious beliefs should be the standard for all?

Please enlighten us, as to your beliefs, and how they just might fall within this nation's beliefs.

Last edited:
Reactions: nelly02
Except for the whole abortion-supporting thing.
What did Jesus say about abortion, moron? Jesus was a Jew, and the Talmud says life begins when a child takes its first breath out of the womb. You’re even dumber on this subject than you are normally…

Latin Mass. I know most of you don't do this, but why does this movement exist and why won't these freaks let it die? Learn Spanish if you want to be useful to the Church.
While both forms of the mass are fine, the latin mass is both beautiful and reflects a unique focus on the sacrificial nature of the Eucharist.

On top of that, what many don’t understand about Catholicism is how it deals with tradition. Tradition is not doctrine, but it does inform our faith. The rule of prayer informs the law of faith (lex orandi lex credendi), and thus, how as earlier Catholics worshipped reminds us of what we believe.

now, would I want to attend the Latin mass every week? No. But every couple of months it’s a treat.

Bumper sticker after bumper sticker on the south side in the last couple of years of Catholics who want more Latin Mass. Seemingly out of nowhere. It was a non issue when I was in Catholic school.
The St. John cantius parish there is dedicated to preservation of the sacred and executes the Latin mass (and novus ordo, in Latin) perfectly. Went on a visit once. Beautiful polish church with great back story. Seemed like all the priests were at least 6-4. Very conservative

What did Jesus say about abortion, moron? Jesus was a Jew, and the Talmud says life begins when a child takes its first breath out of the womb. You’re even dumber on this subject than you are normally…

Not to get into a pissing match about this but the very earliest Christian (which is to say Catholic) texts reflect opposition to abortion.

Not to get into a pissing match about this but the very earliest Christian (which is to say Catholic) texts reflect opposition to abortion.

The Catholic Church wasn’t founded until almost 600 years after Christ’s death.

How are you defining “Christian texts?” Because the vast majority of the most common Christian texts were pre-Catholicism.

Martin Luther started his movement by translating Latin Bible into a common language and using the printing press gave his own spin to it. The printing press made it distributable.

1e3c8eaf-f5d9-4f3c-af89-e725ee708921_text.gif

56aebbf0-81bc-4f8b-b4a1-21e3aeca8286_text.gif

Old altar boy here...had to memorize prayers in Latin.
Mean old nun had to be satisfied or no go.
Et cum spiro tu tu o.
Ok,I'm rusty.

Reactions: goldmom
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT