ADVERTISEMENT

For the first time in 17 years of marriage I really want to strangle my Mother-In-Law

My wife was hit by a car when she was 2 and has some brain injuries, which means she suffers with anxiety, depression, and some other issues and takes quite a bit of medication. She has three doctors changing all her medication around right now, not talking to one another, one put her on one that the pharmacist freaked out about a week later when they realized it would kill her if she took it with another, etc...

Needless to say she's a bit of an emotional wreck right now and not at her best. She works at the same place her mom does and she's had a difficult week. Instead of trying to understand what's happening, her Mother just called her last night, cursed her out, called her a loser, and demanded that if she can't get her shit together at work that she quit because she's an F'ng embarassment.

All because she cried to her boss one day, and in a small place, people talk way too much.

I can't imagine my parents ever treating me that way, or me ever treating my kids that way.
Wow

Yeah, last night her Mom was really pressuring her to quit and at first she agreed. I said, Screw your Mom, you can't just quit. But yes, she can look for another job and it might be best to get away from working with her Mom. It's been a good job because they've been very understanding of her health issues, so finding another one that will let her have the tons of Dr's she needs might be difficult, but we'll see.
I'd try to get into a University system. Where all the doctors are under one roof so to speak.

Your MiL might need the old, "You will never talk to MY WIFE like that again." Then add whatever you want to that. If she comes back at you, pull the Brad Pitt in Legends of the Fall move - step much closer to her, "I'll say it again, you will..."
giphy.gif

When she quits her job and gets away from her mom, chances are, she need less Doctoring.

This. I think a little distance between your wife and her mother might be good for both of them.
See if your wife might be able to find a another place to work where she is more happy, and faces less criticism from her mother.

This. I think a little distance between your wife and her mother might be good for both of them.
See if your wife might be able to find a another place to work where she is more happy, and faces less criticism from her mother.
Yeah, the most stressful jobs I ever had was working with parents.

My wife was hit by a car when she was 2 and has some brain injuries, which means she suffers with anxiety, depression, and some other issues and takes quite a bit of medication. She has three doctors changing all her medication around right now, not talking to one another, one put her on one that the pharmacist freaked out about a week later when they realized it would kill her if she took it with another, etc...

Needless to say she's a bit of an emotional wreck right now and not at her best. She works at the same place her mom does and she's had a difficult week. Instead of trying to understand what's happening, her Mother just called her last night, cursed her out, called her a loser, and demanded that if she can't get her shit together at work that she quit because she's an F'ng embarassment.

All because she cried to her boss one day, and in a small place, people talk way too much.

I can't imagine my parents ever treating me that way, or me ever treating my kids that way.

Sounds like a coworker is creating a hostile working environment for your wife.

Sounds like a coworker is creating a hostile working environment for your wife.
Based upon his description of events, it seems that his wife had a conversation with her boss concerning her mental state(likely assuming the issues discussed were being discussed in confidence) and now the entire office knows about it and is ridiculing her behind her back. Several bad actors in play here, imo.

I understand there is some speculation on my part with this, but a new work environment sounds necessary to me.

Based upon his description of events, it seems that his wife had a conversation with her boss concerning her mental state and now the entire office knows about it and is ridiculing her behind her back. Several bad actors in play here, imo.

Are you saying the boss told the office? I'd venture it's more the mom told people. Regardless, if people in the office suddenly know of what happened, then yes, there's a serious issue/s that need to be dealt with.

Based upon his description of events, it seems that his wife had a conversation with her boss concerning her mental state(likely assuming the issues discussed were being discussed in confidence) and now the entire office knows about it and is ridiculing her behind her back. Several bad actors in play here, imo.

I understand there is some speculation on my part with this, but a new work environment sounds necessary to me.
Somehow I don't picture this as an office environment.

Are you saying the boss told the office? I'd venture it's more the mom told people. Regardless, if people in the office suddenly know of what happened, then yes, there's a serious issue/s that need to be dealt with.
I understood it as:

1. Wife has conversation with boss
2. Boss repeats conversation to coworker(s)
3. Mother-in-law is embarrassed that coworkers are discussing her daughter's issues

And no, I don't think the boss told. Like I said, she's been struggling, and it's not that hidden that she's had a rough week, but it's a week so out of character for her that it's just ridiculous. And instead of defending her daughter and trying to find out what's wrong to help, she just gets mad because she's embarassed.

ADVERTISEMENT