ADVERTISEMENT

For the first time in 25 years, August did not have a named tropical storm...

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
It isn’t your imagination. The tropics in the Atlantic have been very quiet this year despite a forecast from NOAA and other experts forecasting an above-average season.

There hasn’t been a named storm since the beginning of July, and if one doesn’t form by the end of the day, it will be the first August in 25 years to not have a named storm.

“Since 1950, two Augusts have had no Atlantic named storm formations: 1961 and 1997,” tweeted Phil Klotzbach, a research scientist at Colorado State University.

And it’s not just August. Klotzbach also tweeted:

“For the first time since 1941, the Atlantic has had no named storm (e.g., tropical storm or #hurricane) activity from July 3rd-August 30th.”

Sooooo... climate change caused this?

I’m glad people are taking notice and at least on here holding the doom and gloom climate alarmists accountable. It’s the same thing every year, it’s going to be one of the worst hurricanes seasons on record, the storms are getting worse and more frequent every year… but they don’t ever come out and say yeah we screwed the pooch on this one again…

Reactions: The Tradition
I’m glad people are taking notice and at least on here holding the doom and gloom climate alarmists accountable. It’s the same thing every year, it’s going to be one of the worst hurricanes seasons on record, the storms are getting worse and more frequent every year… but they don’t ever come out and say yeah we screwed the pooch on this one again…
DUDE!!!!

jinx
/jiNGks/
Learn to pronounce

noun

1. a person or thing that brings bad luck.
    "one was never to wish luck to someone going hunting or fishing, as it was seen as a jinx"

verb

1. bring bad luck to; cast an evil spell on.
    "the play is jinxed"

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Anyone out there forecasting weather likely has a financial or career interest in Global Warming.

They will always predict "more" of the bad stuff.

I am delighted to hear that we are now going back the other way.

By "going back the other way" it sounds like you're going to back to "climate change isn't happening" from "but man doesn't cause it"

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
It isn’t your imagination. The tropics in the Atlantic have been very quiet this year despite a forecast from NOAA and other experts forecasting an above-average season.

There hasn’t been a named storm since the beginning of July, and if one doesn’t form by the end of the day, it will be the first August in 25 years to not have a named storm.

“Since 1950, two Augusts have had no Atlantic named storm formations: 1961 and 1997,” tweeted Phil Klotzbach, a research scientist at Colorado State University.

“For the first time since 1941, the Atlantic has had no named storm (e.g., tropical storm or #hurricane) activity from July 3rd-August 30th.”

It's ok

There are 2 forming likely within the week. We'll catch up.

Welp.., seasons in Iowa certainly don't seem to follow traditional norms any more, soooooooooo...

Reactions: lucas80
It’s amazing how many climate change and pandemic “experts” we have on here, we are certainly blessed to have this level of knowledge and expertise in our midst.

First triple dip La Niña this century.

The researchers determined that, without the AMOC, the tropical Pacific Ocean cools, and trade winds intensify and shift south. The resulting climate state would resemble a permanent La Niña and could trigger catastrophic monsoons and flooding in the South Pacific, along with increased drought and heat in parts of North America.

In other words: If human actions make the AMOC run amok, the ensuing climate chaos would be even worse and weirder than previously expected.

Article indicates while there is a strong likelihood of AMOC slowdown, full collapse is not likely within the next 100 years.

Climate change is only responsible for bad outcomes.

I'm not sure if one or 2 good months proves anything. What are the trends. Is there an increasing number of tropical storms and hurricanes and are they increasing in severity? Not just what it feels like but actual objective numbers.

I don't honestly know so maybe someone can supply that information.

Looking at 1 or 2 good months is sort of looking at COVID numbers on a daily basis instead of using things like 7 day rolling averages.

It’s amazing how many climate change and pandemic “experts” we have on here, we are certainly blessed to have this level of knowledge and expertise in our midst.
We have a lot of dipshits like you on this board, too.
I just cannot put my finger on your last handle. It bugs me. Usually I am pretty decent at picking out the retreads. 'I guess you just amped the dumb up with this handle, and that's why the old handle doesn't stand out.

Sharing research performed by actual scientists doesn't make one a scientist. It does help to inform, however.
He doesn't want to be "informed"; he simply wants his existing opinions to be "reinforced".
I.e.: the exact opposite of "science"

Climate change is only responsible for bad outcomes.
Well, that's idiotic but greater extremes in weather is rarely "good". If civilization is based on thousands of years of relatively stable climate (and it is), then "climate change" is objectively bad.

Reactions: Joes Place
Come'on dude, follow the science.
The science says the distributions of storms follow random patterns; there's no "quota" for storms in any particular month, but at the end of the season we can compare against historical norms.

As noted, there are likely 2 storms that will form within the next week.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
So they couldn’t predict a storm season a year in advance, but we have to believe everything they say that will happen in 50 years. Science and all

• Haha
Reactions: Flie
ADVERTISEMENT