ADVERTISEMENT

For the first time in 25 years, August did not have a named tropical storm...

Well, that's idiotic but greater extremes in weather is rarely "good". If civilization is based on thousands of years of relatively stable climate (and it is), then "climate change" is objectively bad.
You think climate has been stable for thousands of years? OMG!

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
So they couldn’t predict a storm season a year in advance, but we have to believe everything they say that will happen in 50 years. Science and all

Weather Vs. Climate

I'll make a $1M bet with you:

The noontime temperature in Phoenix, AZ on 1/1/2023 will be higher than the noontime temperature in Minneapolis, MN on 1/1/2023.

You in?

I cannot predict any "storms" or "weather" in either place for that date. Do you think I can predict the "climate", though?

It's global warming. If there are no named storms, it's due to global warming. If there are a record number of named storms, it's due to global warming.

Come'on dude, follow the science.

Global warming is not real. Come on man... it's like the sun or something. Mini ice age is right around the corner. I mean, how can increasing greenhouse gases increase the greenhouse effect? It makes no sense!

Reactions: noleclone2
We have a lot of dipshits like you on this board, too.
I just cannot put my finger on your last handle. It bugs me. Usually I am pretty decent at picking out the retreads. 'I guess you just amped the dumb up with this handle, and that's why the old handle doesn't stand out.
I’ve been on here since 2003…never changed my handle once.

Reactions: EagleHawk
Looks at news of catastrophic flooding and record heat around the globe, sees conservatives claiming climate change is a hoax because their patch of the woods is dry right now. Sounds about right.

Reactions: SoProudNole
Weather Vs. Climate

I'll make a $1M bet with you:

The noontime temperature in Phoenix, AZ on 1/1/2023 will be higher than the noontime temperature in Minneapolis, MN on 1/1/2023.

You in?

I cannot predict any "storms" or "weather" in either place for that date. Do you think I can predict the "climate", though?
Yes predicting the temps in the winter of two different climates is really hard.

predict the actual temp on that exact day.

Now predict it 50 years from now. Still wanna bet a million that you’re right?

It isn’t your imagination. The tropics in the Atlantic have been very quiet this year despite a forecast from NOAA and other experts forecasting an above-average season.

There hasn’t been a named storm since the beginning of July, and if one doesn’t form by the end of the day, it will be the first August in 25 years to not have a named storm.

“Since 1950, two Augusts have had no Atlantic named storm formations: 1961 and 1997,” tweeted Phil Klotzbach, a research scientist at Colorado State University.

And it’s not just August. Klotzbach also tweeted:

“For the first time since 1941, the Atlantic has had no named storm (e.g., tropical storm or #hurricane) activity from July 3rd-August 30th.”

Sooooo... climate change caused this?
Hush your mouth you... this is like a fan yelling to a pitcher about the no-hitter he has going.

Yes predicting the temps in the winter of two different climates is really hard.

predict the actual temp on that exact day.

Now predict it 50 years from now.
50 years from now, the January 1 temperature in Phoenix will still be higher than it is in Des Moines.

That's not what science says. Are you on drugs today? Climate has changed a lot and frequently over time. Have you ever heard of the Ice Age?
Ice Age was ~10,000 years ago

Climate has been very very stable for the past 6000 years. During which human civilizations have both developed and flourished.

The early August atmosphere had significant dust in the Saharan Air Layer to hamper hurricane development. No idea what that looks like now.
https://www.myfoxhurricane.com/saharan_dust_car.html

mFDgUiE.png

Which is why we shouldn't put too much emphasis on discrete events in short temporal windows. (either way)

It's about trends over sizeable temporal windows.

Trad's post is exactly why I don't like "over-selling" the meaningfulness of X event as representative of global warming.

What the public needs to see repeatedly is data from a 20 year moving window. (or something thereabouts)

I think we could end Atlantic hurricanes altogether if we constructed some giant fans in the Sahara to keep lots of dust drifting across the ocean.

That's not what science says. Are you on drugs today? Climate has changed a lot and frequently over time. Have you ever heard of the Ice Age?
Do you have the slightest idea how long Homo sapiens (that's humans - not gay people) have been around? Do you know when civilizations began to flourish?

hint: The start dates for each are separated by a lot of time. We were around a reaaallly long time before we got "civilized".

Do you have the slightest idea how long Homo sapiens (that's humans - not gay people) have been around? Do you know when civilizations began to flourish?

hint: The start dates for each are separated by a lot of time. We were around a reaaallly long time before we got "civilized".
Imagine if the clock on our advance had been just a tick faster in geologic time.

Imagine Doggerland settled by millions and forced to move.

The constant is change.

doggerland2sml-1-700x715.jpg

Super Typhoon Hinnamnor is barreling towards China's coastal provinces, Japan, and South Korea as it traverses the South China Sea in the western Pacific Ocean.

The United States Naval Meteorology and Oceanography Command has labeled Hinnamnor a "super typhoon" -- since it has surpassed winds of at least 150 mph. For US readers, the storm is equivalent to a Category 4/5 in the Atlantic basin.

Imagine if the clock on our advance had been just a tick faster in geologic time.

The constant is change.

Luckily, there were no settlements of "millions" back then...

or cities
or large tracts of farmland

Will @Finance85 be back in this thread to recognize that "6000" isn't remotely close to "1,000,000"?

Or will he ignore his silly posts entirely?

Wonder if he'll loan me $6 for a lunch sandwich out of his bank account. Cuz "$1,000 = $6" now...

The constant is change.

The "clock on our advance" was set by a stable climate that allowed for the development of agriculture. People could count on being able to grow in the same place at the same time year after year. That occurred first in Mesopotamia - it's called the cradle of civilization for a reason.

Reactions: Joes Place
The "clock on our advance" was set by a stable climate that allowed for the development of agriculture. People could count on being able to grow in the same place at the same time year after year. That occurred first in Mesopotamia - it's called the cradle of civilization for a reason.
Iowa being under a glacier puts a dent in the growing season.

Iowa being under a glacier puts a dent in the growing season.

The "100th Meridian Line" keeps moving eastward due to climate change, and Iowa won't be very conducive to farming, once again...

100meridian_Ver2-637x363.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT