ADVERTISEMENT

For the first time in their almost 60 year career The Rolling Stones will be hitting the stage without the legendary Charlie Watts.

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
For the first time in their almost 60 year career The Rolling Stones will be hitting the stage without the legendary Charlie Watts.
News just broke that he was rushed into emergency surgery after something was found wrong during a routine check up and is expected to recover but won’t be able to perform on the upcoming North American tour. Longtime friend and collaborator Steve Jordan will fill in during his absence.
At 80 years old it’s been beyond impressive what Charlie has been able to accomplish behind a drum kit.
In most other bands once a drummer gets older he/she is either replaced or a second drummer is brought in to play the physically demanding parts.
Charlie has always played on his own every night. And it's not in small clubs it's in front of 70,000 people in football stadiums.
He's been married to the same woman over 50 years, and is still rock and roll’s sharpest dressed man.

Reactions: h-hawk
Is this the same Steve Jordan who used to tour with Clapton and was once the drummer for “The World’s Most Dangerous Band” on Late Night with David Letterman?

I love the Stones and I love Charlie, but every time I see him play he has a very serious look on his face and looks like there are a thousand other places he would rather be.

I hope he gets well soon.

Is this the same Steve Jordan who used to tour with Clapton and was once the drummer for “The World’s Most Dangerous Band” on Late Night with David Letterman?

I love the Stones and I love Charlie, but every time I see him play he has a very serious look on his face and looks like there are a thousand other places he would rather be.

I hope he gets well soon.
Steve Jordan (born January 14, 1957) is an Emmy award-winning musical director and, Grammy award-winning producer, songwriter, and musician. During the 1970s and 1980s, he was a member of the bands for the television shows Saturday Night Live and Late Night With David Letterman.[1]

In the early 1980s, Jordan was a member of the band "Eye Witness", along with Anthony Jackson on bass, and Manolo Badrena on percussion. Since the mid 1980s, Jordan has also been a member of the X-Pensive Winos, the side project of Rolling Stones[2] guitarist Keith Richards. Jordan and Richards have been production and songwriting partners on many of Richards's solo works. In 2005, he became a member of the John Mayer Trio.[3] Currently,[when?] Jordan is in the band “The Verbs” which is fronted by himself, and his wife Meegan Voss.[4] On August 5 2021, it was announced Jordan would stand in for Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts on a 13-date US tour. [5]

Steve Jordan (born January 14, 1957) is an Emmy award-winning musical director and, Grammy award-winning producer, songwriter, and musician. During the 1970s and 1980s, he was a member of the bands for the television shows Saturday Night Live and Late Night With David Letterman.[1]

In the early 1980s, Jordan was a member of the band "Eye Witness", along with Anthony Jackson on bass, and Manolo Badrena on percussion. Since the mid 1980s, Jordan has also been a member of the X-Pensive Winos, the side project of Rolling Stones[2] guitarist Keith Richards. Jordan and Richards have been production and songwriting partners on many of Richards's solo works. In 2005, he became a member of the John Mayer Trio.[3] Currently,[when?] Jordan is in the band “The Verbs” which is fronted by himself, and his wife Meegan Voss.[4] On August 5 2021, it was announced Jordan would stand in for Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts on a 13-date US tour. [5]

He’s no Charlie Watts but he’s very good. Seems like a really cool guy too.

Reactions: cigaretteman
The rockers aren't getting any younger.

Earlier this summer saw Cheap Trick. Bassist Tom Petersson (70) was being quietly replaced by someone a lot younger but trying to look older and like Petersson due to open heart surgery.

Interestingly they still list Petersson as the bass player and say he is trying to work his way back.

Reactions: cigaretteman
The rockers aren't getting any younger.

Earlier this summer saw Cheap Trick. Bassist Tom Petersson (70) was being quietly replaced by someone a lot younger but trying to look older and like Petersson due to open heart surgery.

Interestingly they still list Petersson as the bass player and say he is trying to work his way back.
Didn’t one of the members get replaced by Robin Zanders’ son? I was thinking there was some sort of rift, similar to when EVH replaced Michael Anthony with his son.

Didn’t one of the members get replaced by Robin Zanders’ son? I was thinking there was some sort of rift, similar to when EVH replaced Michael Anthony with his son.
Bun E Carlos (drummer) was replaced a decade ago by Neilsen's (lead guitar) son. Read they always had a 4 way split on the profits and did the right thing and Carlos still is getting his 25%.

Sounds like he had some back trouble and Dekk was already subbing so they made it permanent.

Reactions: TJ8869
Here is Jordan with Eric. The song was written as Clapton was becoming a heroin addict back in the day of Derek and the Dominos.

I really wish The Rolling Stones would stop getting onstage and performing live as The Rolling Stones. I worshiped the Stones in my teens and twenties. They have absolutely ruined their legacy with this need to continue to tour... it's a geriatric nightmare. Keef has marbles in his fingers.

I saw a performance called "Havana Moon", from 2016. It was embarrassing. STOP IT! Hearing and seeing them totally butcher "Midnight Rambler" was all I could take.

They should really stop ruining their legacy with this stuff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT