ADVERTISEMENT

For the first time, more Americans smoke pot than cigarettes...

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
More people in the U.S. are now smoking marijuana than cigarettes, according to a Gallup poll.

Cigarette use has been trending downward during the past decades, with only 11% of Americans saying they smoke them in a poll conducted July 5 to 26, compared to 45% in the mid-1950s.

Sixteen percent of Americans say they smoke marijuana, with 48% saying they have tried it at some point in their lives. In 1969, only 4% of Americans said they smoked marijuana.

Attitudes around both substances have also shifted dramatically.

In 2019, 83% of Americans said they thought cigarettes were "very harmful" to smokers, while 14% said they are "somewhat harmful." Nine out of 10 adults said in 2013 that smoking causes cancer, while 91% of smokers surveyed in 2015 said they wish they never started.

"Smoking cigarettes is clearly on the decline and is most likely to become even more of a rarity in the years ahead," Gallup Senior Scientist Dr. Frank Newport said. "This reflects both public awareness of its negative effects and continuing government efforts at all levels to curtail its use."

Meanwhile, 53% of people said in a July poll they think marijuana has positive effects on those who use it.

Still, alcohol is the most popular substance, and has remained consistent for a while. Sixty-seven percent of Americans in the most recent poll said they are drinkers, compared to 63% in 1939. About a third totally abstain from alcohol.

dont-take-drugs-almost-famous.gif

• Haha
Reactions: BelemNole
Somewhat related, pot has been in the news in Florida a couple of times over the past 4 or 5 days...

Anti-tax Gov Desanus is pushing for a huge increase in the not-a-tax "fee" that dispensary companies pay to the State for the right to do business in Florida. "“I mean, these are very valuable licenses,” the governor said. “I would charge them an arm and a leg. I mean, everybody wants these licenses.”
If we call it a fee, it isn't a tax

In a separate move, a new rule that went into effect Monday significantly decreases the dosage amounts that a MM patient can get in a month, with weight limits on smokable product and "amount of THC" limits on non-smokable product. Of course, in our free, government in the sunshine, State, the rules were passed behind the scenes, by emergency order. Maybe the emergency is that Americans are now smoking more weed than tobacco.
Emergency rule enacted

Last edited:
Reactions: BelemNole
I think people do the right thing when they refuse to smoke cigarettes. I know marijuana isn’t great for our health, but it is still better than cigarettes. Many toxins are released by tobacco burning, and we all have seen those pictures of people smoking cigarettes. While marijuana is proven to release stress and relax, and if taken wisely, it almost has no harm. However, I prefer tea-based NEAFS sticks, which are completely unharmful for our health. Still, they have many positive effects on my nervous system and have various tastes

Last edited:
The amount of people I know that are using edibles since it's become legal in IL is just crazy. People I never would have guessed would try them are using them. It's really turned into a phenomenon.

The amount of people I know that are using edibles since it's become legal in IL is just crazy. People I never would have guessed would try them are using them. It's really turned into a phenomenon.

This is what happens when you dispense a recreational drug in candy form...

"If you are new to edible cannabis or cannabis, start low by consuming an edible cannabis product with no more than 2.5 mg of THC."

How many gummy worms is that?? Asking for a friend...
About a quarter of a gummy.

As an RA I loved my pot heads. Hated my drunks. On the weekends my drunks were the ones that broke shit, drank so much we had to call the paramedics, puked in hallways, waved guns around, etc. Pot heads ordered lots of pizza and waved at me when I walked by.

Minors will get it if they really want now and anytime. Same with alcohol, same with pills, same with everything.
Yes, but knowing a 21 year old where it’s legal to buy is much easier than today.

Access is easier when it’s legal. I don’t see how that is debatable.

you honestly don’t think use will go up when it’s made legal?

I don’t care if you make heroin legal. Just don’t ask me to pay for the people that get hooked on it. If private insurance or friends/family want to pay for treatment that’s fine. Everybody else can go find a corner to die in. Freedom has consequences and a lot of people can’t handle that. Guns and drugs are prime examples.

"Apartment Shootings" legal billboard seems less unusual. Tallahassee thing to get drunk and duel?
I can't say we ever had a shooting while I was there, but we did have some Vanilla Ice wannabes waving their Mac9s around while drunk off their asses. I actually got in trouble with management for calling the cops on them - they paid their bills on time...

Smoke cigars. Flavor, nuance, cigars are excellent. Smoke a cigar while sipping a nice bourbon. Also find a cigar is good when paired with a nice craft beer.

Cigarettes are just for straight nicotine injection. I'd rather chew Copenhagen or Beech Nut.

Yes, but knowing a 21 year old where it’s legal to buy is much easier than today.

Access is easier when it’s legal. I don’t see how that is debatable.

you honestly don’t think use will go up when it’s made legal?

I don’t care if you make heroin legal. Just don’t ask me to pay for the people that get hooked on it. If private insurance or friends/family want to pay for treatment that’s fine. Everybody else can go find a corner to die in. Freedom has consequences and a lot of people can’t handle that. Guns and drugs are prime examples.
How do you equate this to heroin? That’s just being stupid.

I wouldn’t doubt if use goes down or stays the same even but I acknowledge there are studies showing both increases and decreases in marijuana use amongst teens in this country. I’m less concerned with teen marijuana use than alcohol use but it’d be nice if everyone waited until they were fully developed mentally and physically before partaking.

ADVERTISEMENT