ADVERTISEMENT

For those interested: Kaleb Young

I don’t think the 5-8 points Young gets will have much of an impact on the title.

We need big point scorers not low AAs. Any chances are much more dependent on Lugo and Warner becoming top 3 guys with bonus.

Reactions: TarpHawk
I don’t think the 5-8 points Young gets will have much of an impact on the title.

We need big point scorers not low AAs. Any chances are much more dependent on Lugo and Warner becoming top 3 guys with bonus.

We will need EVERYONE to do their part! Young scoring some points is what we are hoping/expecting. I for one could see him getting a few more for us. That being said, YES we need guys like Lugo and Warner making big runs!!!

Could be very big. We hope for big points from a few guys and solid points from AD, KY, Murin, and Cash. 4 times 6 is 24 (equal to a finalist)

Reactions: el dub
Could be very big. We hope for big points from a few guys and solid points from AD, KY, Murin, and Cash. 4 times 6 is 24 (equal to a finalist)
Those points are important, but several people have recently said what place we get depends on young. That is just not true. It depends on the finalists. If we don’t have 4 guys in the top 3, those 6 guys getting 24 still won’t catch PSU.

Reactions: el dub and Grip220
In my original post I explicitly said "In Part"

Do I am sure you didn't mean my post, but the truth is the team is 100% dependent on how they all perform.

Tier 1: Spencer has to be Spencer.

Tier 2: Kemmerer, Marinelli, and Stoll have to be at least top 3 or close with plenty of bonus.

Tier 3: Desanto, Lugo and Wilke all have to be AA's with plenty of bonus. All three have been a match from placing before.

Tier 4: The unknowns... Murin, Young and Warner all have to meet or exceed expectations.

All 10 could place, and with breaks could place high. UNI's Holschlog placed 3rd last year and no one expected that.

PSU looks awesome now, but things happen throughout a season, and the team that handles the adversity better and erases at their highest level in March will do well.

I too feel the team trophy color is dependent in part on how well Young does.

For those doubting his win over Monday... But for a last se one 4 point throw, Monday would have pretty much dominated a tough Zander Wick.

It really does put in perspective Young's win Friday night.

If he keeps improving, he will be great.

Yep...I just watched it as well. Monday is clearly no joke. Looked like he ran out of gas against Young, but not against, Wick. Like you said, it really does make Young's win look a little better. I'm looking forward to see how he stands after the dual with Lehigh.

Do I am sure you didn't mean my post, but the truth is the team is 100% dependent on how they all perform.

Tier 2: Kemmerer, Marinelli, and Stoll have to be at least top 3 or close with plenty of bonus.

Tier 3: Desanto, Lugo and Wilke all have to be AA's with plenty of bonus. All three have been a match from placing before.

Tier 4: The unknowns... Murin, Young and Warner all have to meet or exceed expectations.

All 10 could place, and with breaks could place high. UNI's Holschlog placed 3rd last year and no one expected that.

PSU looks awesome now, but things happen throughout a season, and the team that handles the adversity better and erases at their highest level in March will do well.

Holschlag got 5th, yeah?

If we make a run, your tier 4 can't be unknowns. Warner and Murin need to be wrestling for 3rd at least.

It will be a great season for Kaleb if he AAs. It will take 9-10 AAs to be in the conversation for the title with some luck it could happen. With the bonus that Psu will have the whole team will need to be healthy and peak in March. Tough mountain to climb there is no denying it. I’m looking forward to seeing the whole team progress and become stubborn and stingier throughout the season.

Holschlag got 5th, yeah?

If we make a run, your tier 4 can't be unknowns. Warner and Murin need to be wrestling for 3rd at least.

I'm with you. I think for us to have a realistic chance, 2 of the tier 2s need to be champs, 2 of the tier 3s need to be top 3 or 4, and Warner needs to be in the tier 2 mix. PSU has the goods and if we don't exceed expectations by a great deal, we can't win it...in my humble opinion.

Holschlag got 5th, yeah?

Agreed!

What I meant by unknowns is that none of them have wrestled a full college season and all three have a combined zero wins at the NCAA Tournament.

But then again, no one have lost a match there also.

All 10 are going to have to play a role.

I too feel the team trophy color is dependent in part on how well Young does.

For those doubting his win over Monday... But for a last se one 4 point throw, Monday would have pretty much dominated a tough Zander Wick.

It really does put in perspective Young's win Friday night.

If he keeps improving, he will be great.

Monday looks like a good one...quick first step and was catching Kaleb flatfooted. Hard to adjust to a guy like that the first time you see him. I think Young will be just fine.

I'm afraid its going to take a miracle for Kem to be healthy enough to AA much less place in top 3 this year.

Reactions: el dub and Gobblin
Could we just get through one season without a colossal injury that deflates the chances of our wrestlers and the team?
No we can’t. Marinelli still wears the brace, Stoll is out for an undisclosed period of time presumably from a gunshot wound, Warner is worn out or injured or mentally unstable, and Kem has an undisclosed injury and could be out of the lineup for an extended period of time. That’s 4 starters. Sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good...and the Hawks haven’t been lucky for some time.

I'm afraid its going to take a miracle for Kem to be healthy enough to AA much less place in top 3 this year.

Im with ya. Don't want to be negative as I like how this kid wrestles and he's got it in him to win a title but we cant expect the Clarks, DSJ, M* one leg performances are the norm.

IMO Kems injury is the biggest kick in the junk in regards to a team title. 2nd is many have Lugo out punting his coverage.

I think the others: Desanto, Murin, Young, Wilcke will be just fine.

Just think we are taking big hits on hoping for big expected points with Kem/Lugo

No we can’t. Marinelli still wears the brace, Stoll is out for an undisclosed period of time presumably from a gunshot wound, Warner is worn out or injured or mentally unstable, and Kem has an undisclosed injury and could be out of the lineup for an extended period of time. That’s 4 starters. Sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good...and the Hawks haven’t been lucky for some time.

I don't think it is presumable that it was from the gunshot, if Ironside is to be believed. He stated he had a meniscus procedure.

I don't think it is presumable that it was from the gunshot, if Ironside is to be believed. He stated he had a meniscus procedure.

So, does that mean the gun shot wound to the knee isn’t currently a factor?

Exactly. We’re supposed to start the season healthy and hope to stay that way. Starting the season with this many injuries is a depressing start.

There are injuries all over college wrestling right now. Look around. Teams are very cautious in the early season.

So, does that mean the gun shot wound to the knee isn’t currently a factor?

That's how I understand it. I don't think it was actually the knee joint he was shot in. I might be wrong.

Reactions: wasdt21
ADVERTISEMENT