ADVERTISEMENT

For those of you attending Ames for the first time Sat.

DogBoyRy

HB Legend
Jul 28, 2006
1. Yes the town really does have an smell.. Not pig farm but close.
2. The ISU fight song is not a tornado warning. You might think so during and after the game but it really isn't.
3. The fans revolve around this fball game and the Kansas and Iowa bball games. That's really all they have for respect ( except maybe a decent engineering and ag school).
4. The normal stadium protocols will be ignored. Actually had to have the referee warn the announcer/music system last time in Ames after repeated violations after Iowa broke the huddle. Close replays will be shown and despite evidence showing they didn't get screwed 90% of the clowns will go crazy saying they were.
5. Traffic and parking will be a nightmare - they aren't use to this type of crowd and tailgaters who won't be attending. Last time ( I think it was last time, might have been a couple games ago) in Ames the tv announcers almost didn't make the game. Of course they were smart enough not to stay in that shithole of Ames - they came from Des Moines hotel I think.
6. I'm not sure if drunk Suburban kids from Chicago or frat boys are much better but drunk farm kids really are low class. Be prepared.
7. You would think they dominate Iowa despite being 10-10 the last 20, 5-5 the last 10, 3-3 the last 6 or whatever it is. Not going to waste my time looking it up. The favorite shirt is Beat Iowa Again like its a dynasty.
8. Relax - It's always going to be a Hawkeye State.

5. The traffic and parking is a breeze compared to Iowa City on game day, although it gets particularly bad when Iowa fans come to town because of their unfamiliarity with basic driving skills.

Seriously, it will be a hell of a mess tomorrow. They're expecting well over 100,000 people tailgating in an area of about one square mile, which would be bad enough, but on top of that there are going to be a handful of presidential candidates and their accompanying flunkies and security folks.

The biggest difference I notice with cyclone fans is how angry they are. There are rude and obnoxious fans at every stadium, but in ames they are rude, obnoxious and angry when iowa is in town.

Throw up in your hat and smell that as you drive to the game. It will prepare you for The Ames aroma. Imagine Jethro from the Beverly Hillbillies all boozed up. That will prepare you for the students. Imagine being locked in a McDonald's for 3 hours with tons of juvinilles and blaring music. That will prepare you for the game.

Throw up in your hat and smell that as you drive to the game. It will prepare you for The Ames aroma. Imagine Jethro from the Beverly Hillbillies all boozed up. That will prepare you for the students. Imagine being locked in a McDonald's for 3 hours with tons of juvinilles and blaring music. That will prepare you for the game.
It only smells like that when Iowa comes to town. Lots of people just can't handle their first beer.

Reactions: cysbone and Cyanide
1. Yes the town really does have an smell.. Not pig farm but close.
2. The ISU fight song is not a tornado warning. You might think so during and after the game but it really isn't.
3. The fans revolve around this fball game and the Kansas and Iowa bball games. That's really all they have for respect ( except maybe a decent engineering and ag school).
4. The normal stadium protocols will be ignored. Actually had to have the referee warn the announcer/music system last time in Ames after repeated violations after Iowa broke the huddle. Close replays will be shown and despite evidence showing they didn't get screwed 90% of the clowns will go crazy saying they were.
5. Traffic and parking will be a nightmare - they aren't use to this type of crowd and tailgaters who won't be attending. Last time ( I think it was last time, might have been a couple games ago) in Ames the tv announcers almost didn't make the game. Of course they were smart enough not to stay in that shithole of Ames - they came from Des Moines hotel I think.
6. I'm not sure if drunk Suburban kids from Chicago or frat boys are much better but drunk farm kids really are low class. Be prepared.
7. You would think they dominate Iowa despite being 10-10 the last 20, 5-5 the last 10, 3-3 the last 6 or whatever it is. Not going to waste my time looking it up. The favorite shirt is Beat Iowa Again like its a dynasty.
8. Relax - It's always going to be a Hawkeye State.
Great - the Ames Chamber of Commerce can now take the day off.

Reactions: td77
9. Bring ear plugs. Iowa State will play deafening music when Iowa is in the huddle on offense. It is possibly the most annoying thing any team in the country does. Yes, worse than when Minnesota gets a first down.

I went to the Iowa/ISU game in Ames in 2009. Actually had a pretty fun time. There are always ahole fans in EVERY fan base ... Iowa is no exception. We have plenty of ahole Iowa fans and I saw plenty of them downtown after the Illinois State game. One who came up to our group of 40+ year olds while we were eating on a patio. Barely able to walk, he wanted to get his point across he was an Iowa alum and we were idiots for eating at this particular restaurant. So yeah, idiot fans are every where.

It's sort of funny when someone says "so and so fan base is so bad" or calls them out for being so different. The fact is, fan bases mirror society. You have the nice people, the obnoxious people, the drinkers, the non drinkers ... it doesn't matter ... EVERY fan base has a little bit of everything sprinkled within.

I do think SOME fans get a little more "obnoxious" when they are on their home turf ... because they feel that security of being at their stadium, in their tailgating lots, surrounded by their friends and fans.

I remember years back in Iowa City when two Iowa fans completely got in the face of two Arizona fans (two guys probably in their 50s) who were simply minding their own business walking along Melrose. I was embarrassed.

So yeah, opposing teams can despise one another, etc., but some fans take it to the extreme. And most times it's because people have their "liquid courage." ... and they feel comfortable being on their home turf. Our fans are no different.

Last edited:

Awesome.

It only smells like that when Iowa comes to town. Lots of people just can't handle their first beer.

Surprisingly enough, most of the people who went to one of the top ranked party schools in the country have had plenty of beer. ;)

The OP has quite a bit of hidden butthurt in him.

Ames is one of the best tailgating places in the country and yes it'll be crazy, but I just hope people have fun but are respectful of others. We're all Iowans.

Reactions: ichawks
While you're in Ames you have to eat at Brick City Grille!!! Voted best burger in Iowa and they live up to it!!! Outstanding burgers and food! Plus plenty of beer

I went to the Iowa/ISU game in Ames in 2009. Actually had a pretty fun time. There are always ahole fans in EVERY fan base ... Iowa is no exception. We have plenty of ahole Iowa fans and I saw plenty of them downtown after the Illinois State game. One who came up to our group of 40+ year olds while we were eating on a patio. Barely able to walk, he wanted to get his point across he was an Iowa alum and we were idiots for eating at this particular restaurant. So yeah, idiot fans are every where.

It's sort of funny when someone says "so and so fan base is so bad" or calls them out for being so different. The fact is, fan bases mirror society. You have the nice people, the obnoxious people, the drinkers, the non drinkers ... it doesn't matter ... EVERY fan base has a little bit of everything sprinkled within.

I do think SOME fans get a little more "obnoxious" when they are on their home turf ... because they feel that security of being at their stadium, in their tailgating lots, surrounded by their friends and fans.

I remember years back in Iowa City when two Iowa fans completely got in the face of two Arizona fans (two guys probably in their 50s) who were simply minding their own business walking along Melrose. I was embarrassed.

So yeah, opposing teams can despise one another, etc., but some fans take it to the extreme. And most times it's because people have their "liquid courage." ... and they feel comfortable being on their home turf. Our fans are no different.
This is very true. I haven't been to an ISU-Iowa game at Kinnick since '79 because I didn't want to put up with crap....and I have seen exactly the same thing on the other side at Ames. And let's not even talk about how some ISU fans treated Nebraska fans back in the day. That really was embarrassing.

Reactions: Rustys Dad
Is Hickory Park still open. I haven't eaten there in a few years but I thought that was pretty good food.

Yes, Hickory Park is still open and still good. And I agree with those who recognize every fan base has undesirables.

It's been 12 years now since I have been to this game in Ames. In the last 5 years I've been to Iowa@Arizona, and US Soccer matches in Mexico and Jamaica. As a 150 pound blonde haired white guy, having done all that.... I promise you, Ames will be just fine.

This is very true. I haven't been to an ISU-Iowa game at Kinnick since '79 because I didn't want to put up with crap....and I have seen exactly the same thing on the other side at Ames. And let's not even talk about how some ISU fans treated Nebraska fans back in the day. That really was embarrassing.
Ah, a common enemy we all can hate and treat poorly:)

Been to all of the B1G stadiums other than PSU and the newbies (Maryland and Rutgers) and by far the most vitriol I've had directed my way is in Ames. Just for existing as an Iowa fan. I'm sure ISU fans would have similar stories about going to games in Iowa City.

Hope folks don't get out of control on Saturday.

A lot to do over nothing...check with the rest of America and see if they even know there is a game. Incidentally the Hisseys should be happy there is an ISU...don't they have "ANF" encouragement stickers on their black helmets.

In all of the ways one can waste their time online, there aren't many worse than constantly monitoring and posting comments on a sports rival's internet message board.

Keep at it you adorable clones.
Win or lose, we can count on your humanity to grace our presence henceforth into infinity.

"larrygreenballs..."In all of the ways one can waste their time online, there aren't many worse than constantly monitoring and posting comments on a sports rival's internet message board."

Exiting from a poor thread when your donkeyless?

In the early 90s I was going to a lot of San Diego State games because of some kid named Marshall Faulk. You had gangs of black males roaming the stands and just start beating people up for no reason. It had nothing to do with San Diego St vs. BYU or whatever. It was just a violent scene. I was lucky enough to never have gotten my ass kicked by them.

But like the guy says that went to a soccer game outside of the US. This crowd in Ames should be no problem.

"larrygreenballs..."In all of the ways one can waste their time online, there aren't many worse than constantly monitoring and posting comments on a sports rival's internet message board."

Exiting from a poor thread when your donkeyless?

Posting/monitoring on a rival team's board. Not your own...that's a bit better way to time waste.

That's ok, they are Nebraska fans. Classiest fans in the nation, just ask them. They will tell you.

5. The traffic and parking is a breeze compared to Iowa City on game day, although it gets particularly bad when Iowa fans come to town because of their unfamiliarity with basic driving skills.
Nah it's definitely the ISU fans that don't know how to drive.

Nah I talk with people who go/went to ISU all the time. They complain about the smell too. Traitors, I say.....what say you LC?

That sounds like a lot of first beers to me....

I'm sure all the ISU fans will be really fired up, its the last game they have to care about this year....and that includes the team

That's true. The season tickets this year only had UNI and Iowa. The rest of the games are general seating, free admission.

I had a great time the only time I visited Ames for an Iowa-ISU game. Made a weekend of it (visited my brother who was just starting his freshman year at ISU). Mixed-fan tailgate (my brother was there but I found all the parties), Iowa blowout victory. Nobody harassed me because I was respectful. Don't be a dick and you should be fine. You might run into an ahole or two, but that's happened to me in IC and they were Hawkeye fans (drunken fellow UI students and fat/drunk high-school dropouts).

Reactions: Rustys Dad
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT