ADVERTISEMENT

Ford issues stop-sale of electric Mustang Mach-E crossovers due to potential safety defect

seminole97

HR Legend
Jun 14, 2005
  • Ford is instructing dealers to temporarily stop selling electric Mustang Mach-E crossovers due to a potential safety defect that could cause the vehicles to become immobile.
  • The issue can lead to a malfunction that could cause the vehicle not to start or immediately lose propulsion power while in motion, a dealer notice states.

DETROIT – Ford Motor is instructing dealers to temporarily stop selling electric Mustang Mach-E crossovers due to a potential safety defect that could cause the vehicles to become immobile.

Ford, in a notice Monday to its dealers, said potentially affected vehicles include 2021 and 2022 Mach-Es that were built from May 27, 2020, through May 24, 2022, at the automaker’s Cuautitlan plant in Mexico.

Nearly 49,000 of the roughly 100,000 Mach-Es produced during that time frame will be part of a recall, Ford spokesman Said Deep told CNBC.

The problem involves a potential overheating of the vehicle’s high voltage battery main contactors, which is an electrically controlled switch for a power circuit. The issue can lead to a malfunction that could cause the vehicle not to start or immediately lose propulsion power while in motion, the notice states.

The recall is notable, as automakers continue to have problems launching new electric vehicles. Ford, in recent years, also has experienced problematic vehicle launches,leading to high recall and warranty costs.

2021-ford-mustang-mach-e-gt-1665-1640391077.jpg
That’s too bad. It’s a fine looking American made EV - with decent performance to boot.

Mexican made.
Friend of mine was an engineer who worked for GM and Honda.
She said if you have to have a GM vehicle avoid the VINs that start with a 3 - made in Mexico.
She also spoke about how quality control was several decimal places over at Honda vis-a-vis what was acceptable at GM.

Aren't they also having Bronco issues with the 2.7L engine grenading without any warning?
Yup, and at very low mileages. Complete and catastrophic failures requiring a new engine. That’d be fun to wait on.

Ford doesn’t do well with new exciting models. The Focus RS had the wrong head gaskets from the factory. The Explorer’s interior had tons of issues. The Lightning is great, but I’d be concerned if I were an owner.

I'm eyeballing a Cadillac Lyriq in 3 years or so. Hope they get the bugs worked out by then.

ADVERTISEMENT