ADVERTISEMENT

Ford vs. Ferrari

Lone Clone

HR King
May 29, 2001
Definitely worth your time if you like this kind of movie. Matt Damon as Carroll Shelby and Christian Bale as driver Ken Miles, tells how Ford decided to challenge Ferrari's dominance of Le Mans. Great racing scenes. Not sure how true it is to history.....it omits a whole bunch of stuff, but I think the basic facts are accurate.

I would strongly urge you to watch a documentary available on Netflix, "Shelby American," either before or after watching the movie.

There's another Ford v Ferrari documentary on Netflix as well: "The 24 Hour War". Tells pretty much the same story.

They've got a lot of interviews with the Ford family and Ferrari heir and others involved. So it kind of borderline feels a promotional effort for both brands but it is still entertaining and informative.

Planning to watch Shelby American eventually.

Reactions: Rifler
Daughter (no pics) loved it.
That's interesting. If pressed, I would have said it's basically a guy movie.

One of the omissions was any mention of Shelby's marital status. He appeared to be single in the movie. In real life, he was married at least 7 times and perhaps more than 10 times, nobody seems quite certain of the number.

I watched Shelby American tonight. It's a essentially a sister documentary to the 24 Hour War, lots of the same speakers.

Really good.

One of the omissions was any mention of Shelby's marital status. He appeared to be single in the movie. In real life, he was married at least 7 times and perhaps more than 10 times, nobody seems quite certain of the number.

Which marriage is it where the person clearly has problems and there’s little difference between the x’th marriage or the 30th?

I think it’s 4. If you’re willing to get married and go through that many divorces you are weird.

It was mildly entertaining, but good lord was it cliche-ridden and utterly predictable.
Movies based on historical events tend to be predictable. If you haven’t seen “ the Alamo ” I won’t spoil it for you.
One thing they don’t mention is that a Shelby Cobra won LeMans the year before he teamed up with Ford...but not in the same division.

Movies based on historical events tend to be predictable. If you haven’t seen “ the Alamo ” I won’t spoil it for you.
One thing they don’t mention is that a Shelby Cobra won LeMans the year before he teamed up with Ford...but not in the same division.
I meant predictable and derivative storytelling. Heavy-handed and obvious foreshadowing, cheesy dialogue that was clearly only setting exposition, etc.

The cinematography was great though, especially the driving scenes.

I meant predictable and derivative storytelling. Heavy-handed and obvious foreshadowing, cheesy dialogue that was clearly only setting exposition, etc.

The cinematography was great though, especially the driving scenes.
I gotcha.

And he partied with Bill Cosby.

Great movie.

Was a little confused at the end — they said it was the only American-made car to win Le Mans yet Google tells me Corvette has done it 9 times.

Overall win. Corvettes have won their class 9 times, but the prototype class is faster.
That's what I was referring to when I said a Shelby Cobra won LeMans the year before getting involved with Ford. For most references, when people talk about LeMans, they're talking about the prototype class.

Overall win. Corvettes have won their class 9 times, but the prototype class is faster.

Do you have a link to a list of prototype winners? Do American-built cars typically enter this class?

Definitely worth your time if you like this kind of movie. Matt Damon as Carroll Shelby and Christian Bale as driver Ken Miles, tells how Ford decided to challenge Ferrari's dominance of Le Mans. Great racing scenes. Not sure how true it is to history.....it omits a whole bunch of stuff, but I think the basic facts are accurate.

I would strongly urge you to watch a documentary available on Netflix, "Shelby American," either before or after watching the movie.
Rented it on demand last night.
Solid flick.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT