ADVERTISEMENT

Forever stamp will increase to .73 soon

billanole

HR Legend
Mar 5, 2005
What a bargain to send a letter across country or to the cousins a few miles away.
Average for 30 basically modern countries is $1.81, while Italy charges $4.48.

So, why are U.S. stamps still cheaper than elsewhere?​

One glaring reason is scale. The U.S. "is by far the largest market for the delivery of domestic mail," with the Postal Service "handling half of the world's domestic mail (50.2 percent) in 2021," according to the OIG.

While the USPS has seen a long-term decline in use of its main domestic mail product, the drop has been even sharper and more prolonged in other countries. So while the U.S. agency is seeing dramatic drops in volume, it's better off than Postal Services in many other nations.

Reactions: desihawk
I cannot recall the last time I mailed something using a stamp. Many returns using printed labels via UPS and maybe USPS… but can’t recall sending a letter in many years… only thing that comes to mind is graduation announcements a few years ago and honestly we used a Facebook invite for that too and most seemed to use it vs the mailed card.

I can’t remember the last time I bought a stamp either. If it means less junk in my mailbox I’d be happy with the USPS making them $10 each.

business-commerce-non_denominated_postage-postage_stamps-stamps-postage-forever_stamps-hscn1489_low.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: TheCainer
I can’t remember the last time I bought a stamp either. If it means less junk in my mailbox I’d be happy with the USPS making them $10 each.
How far away are we from the mailbox going the way of the landline?

I still mail frequently (I don't know how you can pay some bills without doing so). Stamps are and always have been incredibly cheap for the service provided.

I cannot recall the last time I mailed something using a stamp. Many returns using printed labels via UPS and maybe USPS… but can’t recall sending a letter in many years… only thing that comes to mind is graduation announcements a few years ago and honestly we used a Facebook invite for that too and most seemed to use it vs the mailed card.
We send a lot of handwritten cards, invitations, thank yous, just for no reason cards, birthday cards, etc. Prob buy a roll of stamps 4 times per year.

Reactions: billanole
lasttime i bought forever stamps was probably 7-8 years ago and i still have some remaining. fabulous investment. wish i had bought a massive number of forever stampbooks then instead of just the one. could’ve retired on it :)

I still mail frequently (I don't know how you can pay some bills without doing so). Stamps are and always have been incredibly cheap for the service provided.
What bills do you still pay through the mail? Most of mine are on autopay, and the ones that I pay manually I pay online.

I used to have to mail one check per year for my HOA dues. But the management company finally started letting us pay online about 5 years ago, so that’s not even an issue now.

Reactions: Tailgater371
What bills do you still pay through the mail? Most of mine are on autopay, and the ones that I pay manually I pay online.

I used to have to mail one check per year for my HOA dues. But the management company finally started letting us pay online about 5 years ago, so that’s not even an issue now.
Even the nuns I design for let you donate via website.

Reactions: QChawks and TJ8869

Vehicle servicing, water softener salt delivery, bug spray, storage shed rent, and some more. None of them have online pay options.

Granted I live in BFE so I'm sure that plays a factor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT