ADVERTISEMENT

Forkift rental question

blackbones

HR All-State
Gold Member
Mar 1, 2011
I'm thinking of having a 3500 lb CNC machine delivered to my small shop from Texas to my shop in Nebraska... I do not have a forklift to unload this off of the flatbed trailer myself on arrival and I dont have a recent forklift liscense.. I've got years of experience driving and training others on forklifts at my last employer but that's been ten years ago.. Am I able to rent a forklift even without a recent certification or will I need to hire a rigging company which I know would be pricey.. Is there any advice for me on the cheapest way to go about this ?? Any advice on this would be appreciated TIA.

I’d call up your local United Rentals or Bobcat dealership and ask them what their policy is. They let all sorts of folks rent full size skid steers, as long as they sign on the bottom line. Not sure why a forklift would be much different. You’re not governed by OSHA in your shop unless you’re running a business with employees there.

I’d call up your local United Rentals or Bobcat dealership and ask them what their policy is. They let all sorts of folks rent full size skid steers, as long as they sign on the bottom line. Not sure why a forklift would be much different. You’re not governed by OSHA in your shop unless you’re running a business with employees there.

Thanks for the quality advice..

Why not just ship using a lift gate and pallet jack?

Would be much cheaper than renting a fork truck for a 10 minute job.

The company I'm buying it from only ships on a flatbed without a lift gate.. Also the machine only weighs 3500 lbs but it's pretty big at 6×12 foot in size... the carrier says it will need to be removed from the side of the trailer instead of the rear.. A pallet Jhack isn't sufficient for this job and I'm not paying for shipping so I'm going this route..

How much did the machine cost? A rigging company will come with insurance in case it gets dropped or damaged during the unloading.

The company I'm buying it from only ships on a flatbed without a lift gate.. Also the machine only weighs 3500 lbs but it's pretty big at 6×12 foot in size... the carrier says it will need to be removed from the side of the trailer instead of the rear.. A pallet Jhack isn't sufficient..
Humans have gone soft. It’s attitudes like this that result in our not having built any Pyramids in thousands of years.

How much did the machine cost? A rigging company will come with insurance in case it gets dropped or damaged during the unloading.

The machine is 19,000 with free shipping.. I've loaded hundreds of semi trailers with thousands of pounds of steel by a forklift.. I'm just asking if somebody knew if I needed a recent certification to rent a forklift and do it myself.

I wouldn’t worry about certifications, but more your experience handling a large bulky load. Certifications are to give companies some assurance of their operator’s competence. No company shipping equipment or company renting handling equipment is going to ask for certifications IMO.

Are you receiving at a trailer bed high dock or on the ground? Ground can be hazardous as load tipping and falling is in play.

How long is the pallet it’s on and how are the runners oriented. Might need longer forks to properly handle.

Load weight and center of gravity. Might need a fork lift w more counterweight. Especially, if handling from the ground.

Standard Flatbed, lowboy or standard trailer? Will make a difference on where you pick it up from if on the ground.

Answer these questions and I’ll be glad to give you additional advice. Or better yet, ask the company shipping how they loaded the equipment and replicate that. Talk to the shipping Dept of the company sending the CNC machine, although sadly that’s likely in Japan, Korea of China. We had dozens of these. I don’t remember any issues but we had several types of dock doors, and some massive forklifts that our tradesmen had access to for this type of load.

I’ve had customers lose a large load, badly injuring a worker on the ground because the team didn’t know what they were doing. If your renting something, go big and be safe. It won’t be that much extra.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t worry about certifications, but more your experience handling a large bulky load. Certifications are to give companies some assurance of their operator’s competence.
Are you receiving at a dock or on the ground? Ground can be hazardous.
How long is the pallet it’s on? Might need longer forks to properly handle.
Load weight and center of gravity. Might need a fork lift w more counterweight.
Flatbed or standard trailer? Will make a difference on where you pick it up if on the ground.
I’ve had customers lose a large load, badly injuring a worker on the ground because the team didn’t know what they were doing.

Good post... I'd be getting fork extenders with a rental for sure to have it more centered like you said.. I'm experienced with way heavier pickups than this and I'm totally aware of the risk involved..

Reactions: FormerlyCyberCy
You could always look into renting a bobcat with the fork attachment if that route would be cheaper. But also if you are less experienced using one its potentially more of a risk.

Reactions: blackbones
Call the riggers. All of our machines are moved by riggers. They have the proper equipment and it they drop it they own it.

Why not just ship using a lift gate and pallet jack?

Would be much cheaper than renting a fork truck for a 10 minute job.

Lift gates usually have a 1000lb weight limit...

United Rentals would be a good place to start...many of our customers use them and have not had any issues...

This has nothing to do with the situation at hand but I just discovered a business here in Las Vegas that makes fork lifts ... fancy one even.

It is called Xtreme Manufacturing and was the site of the President's rally two nights back.

They make these:

I have a hunch that they are about to face some criticism ... and a surge in sales.

Last edited:
You could always look into renting a bobcat with the fork attachment if that route would be cheaper. But also if you are less experienced using one its potentially more of a risk.

I am not sure a bobcat could unload 3500 lbs from the side of a trailer safely. I know mine couldn't.

Reactions: FormerlyCyberCy
If you don't have a forklift license and don't want to pay for a rigging company, renting a forklift may be a good option for unloading your CNC machine from the flatbed trailer upon arrival. While some rental companies may require proof of certification, you can inquire with them about their specific requirements. Alternatively, you could look into purchasing a used forklift for your shop. There are often good deals to be found on used forklifts, you can find more about it, especially if you are willing to do some repairs and maintenance yourself. For example, I have heard of people finding good forklifts for cheap by attending auctions or browsing classified ads.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT