ADVERTISEMENT

Former Iowa or Iowa State players who made an NBA All Star Team…

I would have thought Nellie might have made one as a player, but nope. He was the head coach of one side on two different occasions.

What about Grayer? I actually met him once. Super nice guy. He autographed the Olympic card I have of him.
Grayer didn't have a terrific pro career. I don't think he ever fully recovered from the knee injury when he got undercut at Creighton. He was one hell of a good college player for a 6-5 forward but didn't have the guard skills he needed to excel at the next level.

Incidentally, Grayer's high school team (Flint Northwestern) must have been something to watch. He was the center. Glenn Rice (Michigan) and Tim Nunn (Wis-Green Bay) ) were the forwards. Andre Rison (Michigan State) and Anthony Pendleton (Iowa) were the guards. I think Rison just played football at Michigan State, though.

Grayer didn't have a terrific pro career. I don't think he ever fully recovered from the knee injury when he got undercut at Creighton. He was one hell of a good college player for a 6-5 forward but didn't have the guard skills he needed to excel at the next level.

Incidentally, Grayer's high school team (Flint Northwestern) must have been something to watch. He was the center. Glenn Rice (Michigan) and Tim Nunn (Wis-Green Bay) ) were the forwards. Andre Rison (Michigan State) and Anthony Pendleton (Iowa) were the guards. I think Rison just played football at Michigan State, though.
and mike avery and D Miller played at Cent Michigan. team was loaded. You guys had another player from there too earlier. Stevens.

and mike avery and D Miller played at Cent Michigan. team was loaded. You guys had another player from there too earlier. Stevens.
Barry was two years ahead of Grayer, three years ahead of Rice. Interesting recruiting story: In those days, coaches could talk about recruits. The call-in weekly shows were basically about nothing else. Grayer was highly recruited. He also was dating Barry's sister, Rhonda.

A caller asked Johnny Orr how the recruiting of Grayer looked, and Johnny said, "Well, Barry says every time he calls home, Jeff answers the phone."

FWIW, Rice verbally committed to ISU and was going to sign early. Then Frieder put on a huge push to sign him and Rice decided to wait, eventually signed with Michigan. Frieder had been under pressure because he was losing top recruits to out-of-state schools. Stevens and Grayer and Thompkins to ISU, Roy Marble, BJ Armstrong and Bill Jones to Iowa, and a top recruit, whose name I forget, to Pitt.

Reactions: Fan In Black
There were 162 players drafted in 1986. Hornacek scored more points and had more assists than every player taken that year.
I had Hawkeye clothing on, but I told him I was at the Dome in 1986 when hit the buzzer beater to beat Miami in NCAA basketball tournament.

I just looked up that draft class. In terms of NBA impact that has to be one of the worst ever. A bunch of dudes, but not a single star in the bunch.

I just looked up that draft class. In terms of NBA impact that has to be one of the worst ever. A bunch of dudes, but not a single star in the bunch.
Sabonis and Rodman I would lump in as stars as they are both HOFers, although Sabonis's career didn't start until almost a decade later.

After those guys it is Mark Price and Brad Daugherty, both really good players, but not stars.

Here's the full list of Iowa NBA players. Digging through them, only Brown, Johnson, and Armstrong made an All-Star team.

Barry was two years ahead of Grayer, three years ahead of Rice. Interesting recruiting story: In those days, coaches could talk about recruits. The call-in weekly shows were basically about nothing else. Grayer was highly recruited. He also was dating Barry's sister, Rhonda.

A caller asked Johnny Orr how the recruiting of Grayer looked, and Johnny said, "Well, Barry says every time he calls home, Jeff answers the phone."

FWIW, Rice verbally committed to ISU and was going to sign early. Then Frieder put on a huge push to sign him and Rice decided to wait, eventually signed with Michigan. Frieder had been under pressure because he was losing top recruits to out-of-state schools. Stevens and Grayer and Thompkins to ISU, Roy Marble, BJ Armstrong and Bill Jones to Iowa, and a top recruit, whose name I forget, to Pitt.
There was a picture of Lowell Hamilton and Glen Rice in DM Reg. They were both visiting ISU.

his daughter is a smoke show!!
good call…

Jeff-Hornacek-daughter-Abby-Hornacek-pic.jpg

Rison played some hoops, too. Not a lot though

I remember watching him in carver beat everyone down the court. Wheels.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT