ADVERTISEMENT

Former Miss Brazil dead at 27 after having tonsils removed

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
65502524.jpg

The surgery, in April, was routine: Gleycy Correia was having her tonsils removed.
But five days later, the former Miss Brazil suffered a hemorrhage and fell into a coma for more than two months.
Are you on Telegram? Subscribe to our channel for the latest updates on Russia's war in Ukraine.
Now Brazil is mourning her loss. Correia, who was crowned Miss Costa do Sol and Miss United Continents Brazil in 2018, died Monday at 27 of kidney failure. She never recovered consciousness.
“We are deeply saddened by this loss,” family pastor Lidiane Alves told The Washington Post. “She was an amazing woman and much loved by everyone. It won’t be easy to live without her smile and shine.”
We traveled deep into the Amazon to investigate deforestation. A grisly discovery awaited us.
The tonsils, two lymph nodes at the back of the throat, help filter out bacteria to prevent infection in the body. They are removed to treat breathing problems that interfere with sleep and sometimes recurring infections. The tonsillectomy, once common, is generally an outpatient procedure performed under general anesthesia. It’s considered a relatively safe and routine operation; estimates of mortality range from 1 death per 10,000 to 1 per 40,000.

Correia, a model, beautician and influencer with more than 56,000 followers on Instagram, was an evangelical Christian who posted often about God and her faith. Born in Macaé, a city on Brazil’s Atlantic coast 120 miles northeast of Rio de Janeiro, she worked from an early age.

“We will never know how strong we are until being strong is the only choice,” she wrote in one Instagram post, according to the Daily Mail. “I really wasn’t born in a golden cradle, I’m from a very humble family, but I’m so proud of it, really proud.”
Correia was buried Tuesday surrounded by family and friends.
“God chose this day to collect our princess,” wrote Pastor Jak Abreu, a family friend. “We know that she will be greatly missed, but she will now be brightening the sky with her smile. She fulfilled her purpose and left her legacy of love in us!”
A U.S. murder suspect fled to Mexico. The Gringo Hunters were waiting.
Correia was known for working on social projects at her church, especially one focused on helping women affected by breast cancer.

“Gleycy will always be remembered for her enlightened beauty, joy and empathy shown in her work,” Brazil’s National Beauty Pageant wrote on Instagram.

“My heart is in pieces,” Alves wrote. “That smile I received every end of the service with a hug and an I love you, beautiful pastor.”
Followers have left hundreds of condolence messages on her Instagram account. The final post, by her family, shows an illustration of a smiling Correia embracing Jesus with a quote from the New Testament Book of Timothy:
“I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.”

CSB...

I used to get tonsillitis ~3x/yr as an adult. No doctors I went to in TX would take them out unless I documented x# of cases per year. They were concerned about this same risk. It's apparently nothing when you're a kid, and a bigger deal when you're an adult.

I moved to VA and saw a really good doctor that would do it, no problem. A day or two after the surgery - the night before Thanksgiving - my clotting came loose in the middle of the night and I started bleeding out. Felt like i was drowning in my sleep.

Called 911, went to the hospital. The on call doctor didn't want to come in to see me but I was adamant. Sure enough it re-clotted on its own and I was fine. But I can see how that could really not be the case for everyone. It was pretty scary for a while.

/CSB

Mortality from a tonsillectomy as high as 1/10,000? No thanks.
Yup, but I couldn't take it. Mine would get so bad that I'd go several days without being able to eat anything.

I spent 9/11 at home and miserable. Ended up in the ER that day, where they "lanced" my tonsils so the swelling would go down and I could eat something. The risk was worth it. Scary though.

Reactions: cigaretteman
I was 15 when I got them yanked out. Most of my peers had them removed much younger… it sucked. csb

ADVERTISEMENT